Elysian Viaduct

So i'm relatively young and grew up on the south side of Houston. Never had any friends on the north side of DT, most of them were like exit 52 or higher. Are y'all telling me the only way to go the area north of downtown other than 45 was via this viaduct...and its been closed for 4 years? No other streets went up that way? Is this why I always took the highway to Saint Arnolds?

If this is true, my mind will be blown for the day.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, X.R. said:

So i'm relatively young and grew up on the south side of Houston. Never had any friends on the north side of DT, most of them were like exit 52 or higher. Are y'all telling me the only way to go the area north of downtown other than 45 was via this viaduct...and its been closed for 4 years? No other streets went up that way? Is this why I always took the highway to Saint Arnolds?

If this is true, my mind will be blown for the day.

not really, if you want to get to SA there's enough connections from DT without needing the freeways. Main or San Jacinto get you to Rothwell street, which gets you to Hardy, and that gets you across i10.

if you're on the east side of DT, Chenevert gets you to Runnels which gets you to McKee, which splits into Hardy NB, and that gets you across i10.

in either scenario, you are on Hardy and turn right on Lyons, and you are there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Triton said:

This feels way too dangerous to bike down.

I rode both sides on Sunday morning around 9am, I had 1 car pass me. The shoulder is as wide as a lane and the speed limit is 40mph. I will continue to ride it early on weekends.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Triton said:

So ya'll don't see this as near highway speed traffic, huh? Interesting. I think it will get even more dangerous once they do make the Hardy Toll Road connection.

Yeah, at that point it might be unrideable but I don't think the Hardy connection is going to happen anytime soon.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:41 PM, hindesky said:

I rode both sides on Sunday morning around 9am, I had 1 car pass me. The shoulder is as wide as a lane and the speed limit is 40mph. I will continue to ride it early on weekends.

Since when do Houstonians drive the speed limit? 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I know you guys were joking, but whatever the speed limit, wide lanes, plus huge shoulders encourage fast driving.

it's unfortunate that this is a thing, and it's even more unfortunate that this was not built to comfortably and safely accommodate more than just cars.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, samagon said:

I know you guys were joking, but whatever the speed limit, wide lanes, plus huge shoulders encourage fast driving.

it's unfortunate that this is a thing, and it's even more unfortunate that this was not built to comfortably and safely accommodate more than just cars.

TxDoT still thinks like this...

Super-Highway of Tomorrow (1939) — Paleofuture

• Like 3

2 hours ago, samagon said:

I was being serious. Instead of highway sized shoulders, they should added a barrier and have bike lanes on both sides. But based on what the city has done, they clearly aren't encouraging that. It's obvious they would rather you take the Hardy St. bike lanes on the ground.

3 minutes ago, Triton said:

I was being serious. Instead of highway sized shoulders, they should added a barrier and have bike lanes on both sides. But based on what the city has done, they clearly aren't encouraging that. It's obvious they would rather you take the Hardy St. bike lanes on the ground.

sorry that wasn't @ you, just the two comments prior to mine. 

it's too bad they want to force this to be only used by single occupant vehicles, despite alternatives being available.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, samagon said:

This is literally supposed to be part of the Hardy tollway aka a freeway lol...