The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly, if the proposed Galleria condo tower is built, many of the units will have views of The Mercer.  I know this is a bit off-topic, but it strikes me that an advantage of living at The Mercer is that one can have views of the Galleria/Uptown area w/o having to look at The Mercer!  Especially now, as the reptile slowly sluffs off its old skin.

• Like 2

Sadly, if the proposed Galleria condo tower is built, many of the units will have views of The Mercer.  I know this is a bit off-topic, but it strikes me that an advantage of living at The Mercer is that one can have views of the Galleria/Uptown area w/o having to look at The Mercer!  Especially now, as the reptile slowly sluffs off its old skin.

Hey now.  That's insulting to reptiles!

• Like 1

^True.  At least its an example of what not to do... I mean it would work in a tighter development area - like in/around the old part of Downtown.  It would still be pretty blah, and pretty bad architecturally, but it wouldn't be so visible and such a blight on the surrounding area.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but does anyone actually know anyone who lives there?  In the Mercer?  It may be a pretty nice place to live?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you, I was losing my mind trying to figure out why parking was so scarce but the mall was empty last night. They also were still playing Christmas Music. Twilight Zone stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

galleria_exterior.jpggalleria_interior.jpgla-perla-external-rendering.jpg

la-perla-internal-rendering.jpg

The Houston Galleria will welcome three new high-end retailers.

La Perla will open a store in the spring. The Italian women’s clothing designer specializes in lingerie. It has more than 150 boutiques worldwide, including in London Sloane Street, New York’s Madison Avenue and Milan Via Montenapoleone.

Céline, the French ready-to-wear and leather goods brand, will also open a store in 2016. The brand owns hundreds of stores worldwide and is sold at Barneys, Bergdof Goodman, Harrods in London and Galeries Lafayette in Paris.

The Webster, a multibrand luxury boutique, will open a location in Houston in the new luxury building, nicknamed the “jewel box” at the Galleria in November. The store runs from its flagship in an art deco building in Miami Beach. The store, which opened in 2009, has established itself in the fashion world. French buyer Laure Heriard Dubreuil edits and buys for the collection.

Tod’s, the shoe and luxury goods brand,  also plans to open its new 2,000 square foot store in summer 2015.

Additionally, Chanel renewed its lease and updated its 5,000-square-foot boutique.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2015/02/new-luxury-tenants-to-open-stores-in-galleria/#30834101=4

• Like 3

I noticed in the print edition of the chronicle (I'm sure it's online but I can't get through their paywall) that they mentioned "He said the next step to improve will the food court area and hopefully to bring a residential component to the top of the new Saks building"  Is the Saks building being built to accomodate a future tower on top, or are they just talking about a few apartments on a single story above (sort of a modern take on the old mainstreet first floor retail, second floor living)?

No, it was not. Lord & Taylor was in the building now occupied by Oceanaire, Del Frisco, Forever 21...

Since you're correcting me, do you have a source... An old map or photo of sinage?

Not that I doubt you, I'm doubting my memory. I distinctly remember the cursive Lord & Taylor sign on the curved wall.

Edited by Montrose1100

Since you're correcting me, do you have a source... An old map or photo of sinage?

Not that I doubt you, I'm doubting my memory. I distinctly remember the cursive Lord & Taylor sign on the curved wall.

I don't have anything at hand.  You must be remembering the cursive Marshall Field sign on the curved wall.

The building we are discussing (currently occupied by Sak's Fifth Avenue) was originally built in 1979 for Marshall Field.  The facade was designed for Marshall Field by Phillip Johnson.  Sak's Fifth Avenue took over the building from Marshall Field and completely remodeled the interior prior to moving over from the Pavillions on Post Oak Shopping Center circa 1996.

Lord & Taylor was in the building now occupied by Oceanaire, Del Frisco, Forever 21, etc from the time Galleria II was built (circa 1976) until about 2005.

• Like 1