Wade Phillips is in as the new defensive coordinator, keeping Kubiak, will probably move from a 4/3 to a 3/4 line up. Need new corner backs too. With and impending lock out, it's the smartest move.

Might be true, but still conjecture at this point. Reporters and sources have been wrong before.

• 11 months later...

I am surprised there isn't a thread for the Texans this season but I think we really should start having one. Today the Texans clinched their first playoff birth under their new rookie QB TJ Yates, as well as division champs!

Playoff bound, what do yall think?! I'm excited!

http://blog.houstont...lling-comeback/

It's too late. With 10 wins and 3 games to go and a clinched playoff birth and divisional championship, this CAN NOT be considered a disappointing season. In my opinion, the real goal of this season was to get into the playoffs for the first time. And they did it. Anything from this point on is just icing on the the cake. I certainly believe the Texans have the capability and potential to go all the way to the Super Bowl. But even if they lose in their first playoff game, this season should be considered a smashing success. Especially when you think about all the milestones that were achieved, winning game after game after game with all the star players injured and the pitiful state the team was in one year ago today. I think the Texans did the impossible in the win against the Bengals today. Watch the accolades pour in for this win.

CONGRATULATIONS TEXANS and THANX FOR AN INCREDIBLE SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 1

With 3 games left in the season. That is good real game practice for a young rookie to get under his belt for a chance at the playoffs. Yates is obviously a quick learner, very poised in the pocket and doesn't get rattled easily. This boy just might surprised us even more down the road.

• 4 weeks later...

Tom Tynan commented this morning on his radio show that he was going to the grocery store after his show to pick up some steaks to grill before the game today. Then he throws in "but I'm not going to Krogers.......not today at least..hah hah!".

I thought I was the only one that weird.

I was way wrong about the Texans and gladly admit it. I do think Yates threw some really bad balls and was lucky he didn't get what should have been a pick 6 against him. I still don't think they have a good chance against the Ravens unless TJ picks his game up.

CONGRATULATIONS TEXANS ON YOUR FIRST EVER PLAYOFF WIN!!! Not just a win but a BLOWOUT WIN! Life is good!

In fact, right now, the Houston Texans are the only team in the NFL to have NEVER lost a playoff game!!!

Enjoy the moment. Jinx and jinxers be damned. GO TEXANS - PLUCK the ravens.

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 2

Yesterday was a fantastic game. I do agree that Yates has a lot of work to do before next week. There is no doubt that Flacco will be playing at the top of his game that Yates cannot match.

Lucky, it seemed like our defense was firing on all cylinders verses the Bengals. Lets just hope for another stellar defensive game next Sunday.

I really hope it was just nerves that was causing Andre to play sort of off yesterday. We really need him to pick up his game.

I'm excited. Bring on the Ravens!

There is no doubt that Flacco will be playing at the top of his game that Yates cannot match.

Actually, there is plenty of doubt whether Flacco is on his game or not. His QB rating is identical to Yates', and the knock on Flacco is that some days he lights it up, and others he stinks it up.

We'll see.

BTW, our defense is better than theirs, though it is by a hair...literally 3 yards per game better. Our offense used to be much better, but now is virtually equal as well. Only home field is to their advantage.

I'm proud of how our defense played. They were outstanding in the 2nd half of the game. Arian Foster was unstoppable as well. Glad he had a great game. Just way to many mistakes, especially those interceptions. They proved to be killers. I'm already excited about next year though :)

• 1 month later...

Peyton Manning was cut by the Indianapolis Colts today and all of the analysis and speculation about where he'll play next year has begun. The Texans have been repeatedly mentioned as a possible suitor for Manning. I think this would be a fantastic move by Houston. Schaub is a good quarterback but he is coming off a serious injury and is in his 30's just like Manning so that makes the risk about equal when choosing to go with Schaub or Manning. The upside with Manning is much higher and he could be the final piece of the puzzle that puts the Texans over the top. The Texans run game and defense will be a big draw for Manning who is going to be looking for a contender and not a team that is in the process of rebuilding. The Texans should trade Schaub for draft picks and to free up cap space then sign Manning and make some serious super bowl runs over the next few years. This would also give them the opportunity to develop T.J. Yates or another young quarterback(Case Keenum?) to take over after Manning retires. Thoughts?

Not to mention the side bonus of the Texans and Houston getting all that priceless NATIONAL MEDIA ATTENTION! I hate the idea of throwing Schaub out like yesterday's tampons, but if Manning is really a possibility for the Texans they should spare no expense. I'd sell my sweet little old grandma to the Taliban to see Manning take a Houston team to the superbowl. But I'd say this is a long shot so granny is safe.

For now.

No way. His neck surgery kept him out for the entire season last year. Furthermore, he'd likely be expensive, and there's no assurance he would be worth the money. Besides, don't we have salary cap issues? And we just bought Arian Foster. Schaub has done very well for us and we should stay the course.

Besides, Peyton seems to require a very specific type of offense. The no-huddle thing was pretty unique and would require a complete restructure and retraining of our offense.

Edited by kylejack

Manning is going to be medically cleared to play. He wasn't let go because of health reasons but rather because the Colts have chosen to go in a different direction and rebuild around Andrew Luck. Yes he's going to be expensive but considering he's arguably the greatest quarterback ever and quite possibly will have 3-5 great years left in him, I'd say he'll be worth every penny. It's also possible that he would be willing to take a lower salary to join a serious contender rather than a giant salary to play for an also ran. The Texans do have cap problems but I think they should do whatever it takes to get Manning if they can possibly do it. That includes dealiung Schaub and maybe even Andre Johnson, yes he's a great player but he's getting past his prime and he still has value on the trade market. The NFL is a business and personnel decisions are not based on feelings but rather what is best for the franchise. If the Colts can cut Manning we can let go of Schaub to get him.

He may have been cut for financial and directional reasons, but that does not mean there aren't still medical questions surrounding him and his neck. He might have 0 good years left in him. Get rid of Johnson to afford Manning.???.. and just how enticing do you think that would make the Texans to Manning? We need to be adding another star receiver, not getting rid of the only one we have.

Hell no Manning. Stick with the Schaub.