Shaub is not even in the top 20 after today's debacle. Any of the top 4 rookie QB's (Luck, RG3, Tannehill, or Wilson) are way better, and will continue to improve while Shaub continues his downward spiral. The Texans have no future with Shaub. Hopefully they will realize it.

So if we are all feeling the Texans should axe Shaub pending on how he does in the playoffs, who do you think the Texans should be looking at as a replacement?

Surely a risky move, but should Tebow be looked at as a possibility with all the problems in NY? Just a thought.

Edited by fatesdisastr

I never said they needed to axe him. I consider Shaub as right about the middle of the road in the league, maybe higher. He would be in my 12 - 16 range in terms if his ranking. That isn't great but can be enough with a great defense and running game. Both of those facets have fallen this year and it exposes his flaws. That said, top 10 quarterbacks are hard to come by. Top 5 is nearly impossible to get. I think we are stuck with him until we develop someone else or get lucky with a great-timed terrible season.

I scoffed at the idea of bringing Manning here. Who would have thought he would recover so well from major neck surgery? This time last year he couldn't throw a ball 5 ft. Also, I expected much better from Shaub.

I should have consulted my crystal ball.

It's obvious most houston sports fans are idiots... Just read this thread. Posts made w such conviction and certainty, folks scoffing at the notion of bringing one of the greatest qbs of all time bc we already have schaub, yada yada yada.

Be careful what you call an entire city my friend. Especially when you don't seem to have a clue to the system that Kubiak runs. This is a run first, bootleg pass offense. That is not condusive to Mannings style, at all. The Texans looked very good last year and most agreed that they were only getting better. Why on Earth would you change a system that was working just to get a guy who was possibly done for his career. Know one could have predicted the year he's having. And even if he was healthy it would have been ill advised. Again, you would have to change the entire offensive system.

I just want to reiterate my point that we should have gone after Peyton Manning! Who's the number 1 seed? Who's going to win MVP?...Oh yeah and who blew their shot and fell to the 3rd seed due to OFFENSIVE INEPTITUDE? Schaub is a scrub!!!

Already had salary cap issues, so we would be sacrificing more than Schaub.

I'm thinking Schaub will still be playing next year as a Texan.

I'm not so disappointed in his play, but I'm disappointed in the play calling. They still do plenty of option calls, but they don't run as many designed out of pocket short pass plays as they did early in the season. One of the things that I saw as an early success was that Schaub was moving around, not in the pocket, and making plays. Since they've started relying on Johnson more and more, he's been more and more stationary.

You also have to wonder if their loss to New England defeated them, yeah they are still saying all the right things, but winning at such a level as they were, seemingly not able to lose, even when they should (Detroit and Jacksonville), then to get so soundly drubbed? Mentally, that's hard to come back from.

I hope they can do it though, and I know they have the weapons to achieve it, even though Schaub is at best, mediocre.

Remember though, as bad as Schaub may be, he's the best QB we've ever had :mellow:

I'm sure the defense will do their best, but Tom Brady will put points on the board. He can be slowed, but he can't be stopped entirely.

Which means this is Offense's last chance to wake the hell up. I am not optimistic. If we kick a bunch of field goals, we will lose.

Field goals cannot be part of the plan for this week. I think we have to look at going on 4th and 2 or 3 instead of kicking. As we saw this weekend with three drives ending in field goals for 9 points and the next drive ending in a pick for 6 and only leading by 2. Really shows how awful going for 3 consistently is. Cannot and should not do that vs Pats.

I'm optimistic in the sense that if our boys play like they played at the beginning of the season we will have a good chance, otherwise its going to be a long game and off season.

Edited by fatesdisastr

5 50+ story towers.

The Texans don't do anything for me. I find the whole franchise boring. Field goals and conservative offense. Blue and red colors. A boring Texas theme when Houston is the least "texasy" city in the state. The stupid bullhead logo. A stadium that is 100% corporate. A roof that remains closed no matter how beautiful the day might be. Boring, boring, and more boring. Oh yeah, and the owner kinda sucks especially compared to the likes of the Kraft Family in New England.

The best QB is Rogers right now, but the best team is the 49ers...i expect them to win the Super Bowl over the Ravens...the Texans just weren't good enough on defense or offense against the Pats...i believe the Raven's defense is good enough to stop the Pats and win a close game. Whether the Pats or Ravens make it the SB, either team will lose to the 49ers.

Kubiak needs to be fired...some bad call he made along with not getting his defense prepared for the Pat's hurry up offense and also during the Texan's comeback, he seemed to let Schaub take his time in getting the offense rolling at the line which ate up some good clock. Schaub isn't the answer either, but we have to roll with him since there is nothing else better out there. I wish Kubiak would get canned, but McNair loves him too much. Bill Cowher is itching to get back into coaching now.

Schaub signed a 60mil extension earlier in the season, so he is a Texan for a long time.

Edited by sifuwong

Not all Schaub's fault today but he is just not getting it done. Good to above average when he can sit in the pocket all day but when there is anything resembling pressure all bets are off.

He can't play with a faster tempo.

He's not likely going to learn new tricks at this point in his career.

I think he's less than average. When you consider the offensive weapons he has at his disposal, elite level wide receiver, elite level running back, a very above average tight end and a group of serviceable receivers outside of that list. the skilled positions on this team (save the QB) are all well filled. When I think of QBs in the league and what they would do with this team, I can think of less than half that I imagine would do as poorly as Schaub does with the weapons he has.

kubiak needs to go...poor decision making plays....he is not the answer.! schaub isn't the answer either but with a smart coach, he could lead us to the super bowl...btw, does anyone know if schaub's contract was going to end this year? if so, why didn't the texans wait till the end of this year to decide whether to extend him to that 60mil contract that he received back this past september.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...