The Texans without Johnson are still a better overall team than Manning ever had in Indy. Top 5 defense and running game. The Colts D in the Manning era has never finished in the top 10 and the running game has always been in the bottom half of the league even when they had Faulk or James. Manning will make whatever recievers he has look good and he prefers tight ends as his primary targets anyways. Trade Schaub and Johnson for picks, use the cap space for Manning, use the picks on recivers/tight ends, and if it's affordable, bring in Reggie Wayne or Pierre Garcon to have a comfort level with Manning. SUPER BOWL BOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with RedScare on that one. All the Texans need to get to the Superbowl is a healthy starting quarterback. I would hate for them to trade away half the team to get Manning, which is what it would take.

Edited by Fringe

Gutting the team to pay for Manning would be the equivalent of what the Drayton did for so many years. Trade away the future for that gamble how much gas one broken-down aging super-star could *might* have left in the tank. Worked pretty good for the 'stros - huh?

If you want an injury-prone quarterback (and he will be injury-prone from now on) on the downward slide of his career - just keep Matt. We can still pick up a young QB to groom as a replacement (as big a UH fan as I am - Keenum won't go high if he is your guy) and like RedScare said - spend the money on Mario.

But what about National Press? Houston would be the New York City of football next season. Wow! Prime time every other week, all those bone headed blow hards on ESPN yammering on and on and on about PEYTON MANNING and the houston texans. We wouldn't even need to win anymore games to be awesome on T.V.

Edited by Mister X

But what about National Press? Houston would be the New York City of football next season. Wow! Prime time every other week, all those bone headed blow hards on ESPN yammering on and on and on about PEYTON MANNING and the houston texans. We wouldn't even need to win anymore games to be awesome on T.V.

15933403.jpg

Don't worry 'bout me. I am a SERIOUS fan. Not only do I want to see the Texans win every game and go to the super bowl - I want to see them get more national media attention. That stuff is priceless. The only reason anyone ever even heard of towns like dallas, green bay and pittsburgh is because of the cowplops, the peckers and the stealers. Houston could use more time in the spotlight and Manning could bring that big time. I can't imagine him not making the Texans better in the process - it would be a gamble for sure - but so is keeping Schaub or any player. I would hate myself for a little while after replacing a perfectly good QB and all around great guy like Matt Schaub, but as a life long Houston team fan with very few rewards to help me keep my sanity - I'd try anything - Life doesn't last forever.

The dark side of having Manning on board is that he would probably do for Houston what TeBoner does for Denver - if you know what I mean. It would all be about Manning, Manning and more Manning. Houston, the Texans and the fans COULD be just be an afterthought - MAYBE, but I still think riding Manning's coat tails could do wonders for Houston's PR.

O.K. maybe I'm all over the map and completely wrong about everything - but please don't question my loyalty. I'd take out an entire maternity ward to see the Texans in the super bowl.

• Like 1

no, you're not over the top and completely wrong...

for the last few years, i have been calling the team from Indianapolis The Indianapolis Peyton Mannings, because he WAS the team! His neck injury proved that- they were a steaming pile of crap without him.

I'm with RedScare on that one. All the Texans need to get to the Superbowl is a healthy starting quarterback. I would hate for them to trade away half the team to get Manning, which is what it would take.

Why would the Texans need to trade away half the team? Manning has already said he wouls do an incentive based contract. People talk abouy his neck, but not many players have come back from a lisfranc injury. And the worst part about Schaub's is that it happened on his plant foot. I know Kubiak said he should be back by May, but the Texans medical staff is never right. If Kubiak says May, what he really means is October. I'd take the chance on Manning amd trade Schaub for picks. Worst case scenario, Yates is the starting qb with a full offseason and running with the ones.

I heard this story or rumor about him possibly eyeballing the Texans. It would be awesome and i would have no quarrels with trading Schaub. However, i think its a long way from becoming reality Kind of like the possiblity of Lebran James coming to the rockets (LOL)

the more I think about it, the less bothered I would be. supposedly we have cap space for both manning and reggie wayne, which I have heard he would try to bring with him.

the most important thing about getting him would be doing so without gutting the team, and understanding that he's a good fit for the next 2-3 years max, and planning for the future beyond (draft a QB now to be his apprentice for the next 2 years).

all I know is if he became a texan, there's automatically be like twice the number of fans both inside Houston and from around the country (lots of women will root for Texans just because of Manning, he's just so darn cute!).

I'd say he's going to the Titans. His wife is from there, he went to college there and Bud Adams is offering him the moon. Denver has a chance as well.

That's a likely scenario. If they get Manning and Chris Myers the Texans may be in trouble next year.

Edited by Fringe

Denver got him... Heck even less then 100% he's better then most quarterbacks.

Reminded me of a hilarious quote from a recent Wall Street Journal article:

"

If Tim Tebow were to be sprinkled with magic Lombardi dust and simultaneously possessed by the spirits of Johnny Unitas, Otto Graham and Popeye the Sailor-Man, he would be lucky to be one-quarter as good as Peyton Manning at his best. Even at 35 and recovering from an injury—actually, even if he drank a 12-pack of Meister Bräu and wore a Big Bird costume—Manning is surely a better passer and game manager than Tebow is after his second year of pro quarterbacking."

• 1 month later...

I like it too.

What can happen to a player (and team) if they know he won't be drafted early, and wants to play for a specific team if they make a deal something like "If you drop to the 6th or 7th round, and someone calls and says they want to draft you, you say, well, I think your organization sucks, and we pick you up as a UFA after it's all said and done".

I think it's exciting up front, but in the end it won't really matter. Unless he is just lights out, he'll be at best a second string QB the first half of his career and if he develops enough, a starter if he somehow gets a shot somewhere. That's just my opinion.

• 3 months later...