All that money and they practice in a bubble. I think they Coogs have a better indoor setup than the Texans.

field_fb.jpg

Good luck growing grass inside that building. Isnt the point of a bubble, is so you can grow grass? That way, the field they are practicing on is similar to the field they are playing on?

You wouldnt want to practice on Astroturf, then play on grass if you dont have too.

Actually, they take the grass out for a walk when it's not in use.

I'm assuming they use the bubble because its not as expensive to use as the stadium and are more able to control who actually gets to watch the super secret practice sessions.

Or am I wrong?

I have been inside the bubble and there is no grass in there; it's all fake turf. The material is not transparent and the bubble isn't easily disassembled. . It literally is a bubble: the whole thing works by being inflated at a higher pressure inside than the air outside - you have to go through an airlock to get inside. It's a permanent structure that, for the surface area it covers, is cheaper than building a rigid structure.

But I agree, it's filthy and needs to be cleaned. Much like the roof of Minute Maid Park a couple of years ago.

The bubble is the cheapest way to keep a good indoor practive facility and not chew up the grass inside reliant before the game. The one the Longhorns use in Austin is always very clean, and lets be honest, the average difference in Humidity is not THAT significantly different for mold growth. Hopefully they anticipated this and will take advantage of this offseason time to give the bubbly a good scrubbing.

Yeah that'll make a lotta money

What would make a lotta money is a winning team. If we have no other better use for the dome, and you don't like the blight of the current "practice bubble," be kind to the earth and use a facility that really isn't used for much anymore. Only in Houston would we have a stadium-across-the-way from a stadium. Adds to our notoriety of having a Starbucks across the street from a Starbucks.

Why not use the giant "practice bubble" known as the Houston Astrodome, right next to the stadium? We need find some use for it before we convert it (or maybe not?) into a hotel.

They would only use it if they could tear the roof off and grow grass inside. As was mentioned earlier, you need to practice on the same surface you will play on in the game...if you want a winning team...

They would only use it if they could tear the roof off and grow grass inside. As was mentioned earlier, you need to practice on the same surface you will play on in the game...if you want a winning team...

That's not true. And football is football, regardless of the playing surface.

Plus, they don't use the bubble all the time. I think it's only used when they wanna get away from the weather for a time.

What's not true???

Football is pretty serious business in the NFL, every advantage that can possibly be had is taken, including practicing on a surface that mimics that on which you play. Also, practice on astro-turf can increase the chance for injury, something players and owners absolutely will not accept if they can help it...

Why do you think teams are spending millions of dollars on removable fields to grow grass indoors??

No one likes the artificial stuff...although, that new surface they use at the Ford Center in Detroit may be something different, but I don't have any experience with it....

Edited by cnote

What's not true???

The correlation of winning teams and the surface of their practice field.

I'm not doubting that it's an advantage to be consistent. But when it comes down to it, what matters is what person(s) is playing on that surface.

But like I said, the bubble isn't their main place for practice. I'd be willing to be they're outside on the grass 90% of the time.

I think if you want to win you don't want players with high ankle sprains from cutting on turf. I agree with you that the ability of the players on the field decide the game, but I would want to maximize the likelyhood that my talented players are playing. I realize this is a small thing, but in the NFL, where every player has incredible athletic ability and every coach is intelligent (ha!), little things make the difference.

Agreed, Gary, white was a poor choice...I think the thing is canvas or plastic so it must come that color....

I think if you want to win you don't want players with high ankle sprains from cutting on turf. I agree with you that the ability of the players on the field decide the game, but I would want to maximize the likelyhood that my talented players are playing. I realize this is a small thing, but in the NFL, where every player has incredible athletic ability and every coach is intelligent (ha!), little things make the difference.

Agreed, Gary, white was a poor choice...I think the thing is canvas or plastic so it must come that color....

I agree, but I think it's a logistics issue. Grass doesn't grow indoors, where they pracitce to relieve them from the heat or rain in the bubble. And I don't think it's worth it to haul grass in and out of a practice facility.

I think it serves its purpose well.

I know a little about vynil based products, and this could have been dyed any color. Of course you run the risk of fading after the uv inhibitors start breaking down, but if it's maintenanced properly there shouldn't be any real problems.

I didn't know about the turf in the bubble. That also seems like a poor choice considering how injury prone synthetic turf has proven to be. I played my entire high school career on astroturf, and it was a nighmare. Aside from the injury prone (unforgiving) nature of synthetic turf, it also makes for some nasty rasberries which I am all to familar with.

Not sure why they didn't use the tray system as they do in Reliant.

I didn't know about the turf in the bubble. That also seems like a poor choice considering how injury prone synthetic turf has proven to be. I played my entire high school career on astroturf, and it was a nighmare. Aside from the injury prone (unforgiving) nature of synthetic turf, it also makes for some nasty rasberries which I am all to familar with.

It's probably not the same type of turf you played on. Artificial turf has come a long way and is much better these days.

• 2 months later...

What's yalls take on our draft?

Down about our first rounder? Check out the article King Solomon on Chron found. It gets ya kind of excited...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6111001461.html

---------

EDIT: Let's evaluate their past drafts as well...

Draft History

2004 - C- ... Dunta is basically the only pick that did anything, but it's not a D or an F in my book because Glenn Earl and Jason Babin did contribute some while they were here.

2005 - D+ ... Travis Johnson made some great plays last year although he kind of lost it emotionally sometimes, which cost the team at time. That cannot happen in the future. Jerome Mathis is an injury waiting to happen, sadly and Morency was barely okay.

2006 - A- ... Demeco, Mario, Owen, Winston, need I say more?

Edited by lockmat

It's just a first class organization and you can tell they value the fans.

They value the fans' money. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The name sucks. They had a "contest" to narrow down the choices, but it was clear that some names that were not so popular (like "Texans") kept making the cut. In the end, it was McNair's choice, since he was the one that ponied up the $700 million (if you don't count the taxpayers' stadium money). I don't care for the name, the logo (looks like a jock strap) or the colors (except for the red uniforms), but if the team wins, I'll get over it.

Hard to fault the current management and coaching, however. And, I will always be grateful that they stared down the Longhorn homers and drafted Super Mario over Vince "he just wins" Young.

CDeb:

Our MLS team had a perfect name until some people who still wish history had turned out differently decided that they should be offended.

I preferred the Houston 1836 over the Dynamo as well. I'm kind of indifferent on the name itself. Dynamo sounded kind of silly at first, but I'd much rather have the Houston 1836 back in a minute. I liked the logo with Sam Houston.

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

I'm not wild about the name, but I can live with it. I do love the logo, however.

Our MLS team had a perfect name until some people who still wish history had turned out differently decided that they should be offended.

That was incredibly stupid. They live in this country, this state, and this city, but get upset at that date.

Edited by Trae

That was incredibly stupid. They live in this country, this state, and this city, but get upset at that date.

Perhaps because prior to that date, it was their country, their state, and their city?

Are any of you that are still whining about the name change of a team you likely do not support the same ones that blew a gasket over the Absolut ad? Just wondering.

Perhaps because prior to that date, it was their country, their state, and their city?

If "they're" living here, it wasn't "their" anything back then, but it's "their's" now.

Are any of you that are still whining about the name change of a team you likely do not support the same ones that blew a gasket over the Absolut ad? Just wondering.

I went to several Dynamo games last season and have tickets for several more this year. So much for that red herring.

I didn't blow a gasket over the Absolut ad, although I did think it was idiotic, just like opposition to the name "1836."