If "they're" living here, it wasn't "their" anything back then, but it's "their's" now.

I went to several Dynamo games last season and have tickets for several more this year. So much for that red herring.

I didn't blow a gasket over the Absolut ad, although I did think it was idiotic, just like opposition to the name "1836."

I really like CDeb. I couldn't agree with CDeb's comments more. 1836 is the year we became The Republic of Texas by having a superior army and winning a just war. Santa Anna signed the treaty giving Texas sovereignty from Mexico after being captured as a prisoner of war. Had Santa Anna posted sentries during his armies siesta, perhaps, his army wouldn't have been routed at The Battle of San Jacinto and we would still be part of Mexico. But it is what it is. Maybe it's time to...um...I don't know... move on and get over it?

1836 should be a badge of pride for all Texans. We are all Texans whether our ancestors were Hispanic or Anglo.

The Absolut ad was idiotic as is opposition to the name 1836. I also agree with CDeb about the logo. The Dynamo logo is the bomb. :)

Perhaps because prior to that date, it was their country, their state, and their city?

Are any of you that are still whining about the name change of a team you likely do not support the same ones that blew a gasket over the Absolut ad? Just wondering.

I was very upset at the name change from 1836 as I am a native Texan. I would assume that most of those who complained are not. Either way, I was not upset about the Absolut ad as it was not displayed in America. Absolut can do whatever they like to appeal to their different markets, that's business. Just like AEG should've kept the name they wanted and not fold to the pressure. This is Texas and America and we fought that war for a reason. And we won. We should be proud of winning and the life we now have and wear/promote 1836 as a badge of honor.

Remember the Jazz were in New Orleans before they went to Utah. The name fit back then. They still blow as a team though.

Yeah. The Utah Jazz never really has worked as a name, has it? Not a lot of Jazz in Utah. The name probably should've been changed when they moved from New Orleans. As the Wikipedia pages reads, "New Orleans has the Saints and Utah has the Jazz". Go figure.

The aren't exactly lakes in Los Angeles either...They used to be the Minneapolis Lakers which makes more sense.

I've always wondered, are there really Jaguars in Jacksonville?

OK, so the results are in. We have 2 vote for upset with Absolut ad (disguised as calling it "idiotic"), and 1 vote not upset.

Apparently all are OK with the Dynamo logo, including me. I got the hat.

We have two revisionist historians, and several who merely enjoy the spoils of victory.

Thank you for voting.

Note to those who think the Houston Rockets were named after NASA. Not quite, but close. They were named for the rockets that were built in San Dieo, their original home. The rockets built in San Diego, however, WERE used by NASA. When the Rockets moved to Houston from San Diego, the name stuck.

Lockmat needs to start a new Texans thread and this one needs to be renamed.

Sorry, Lockmat. It's my fault.

naw, it's probably ok as long as it gets back on topic. unless the concensus says different. whichever

OK, so the results are in. We have 2 vote for upset with Absolut ad (disguised as calling it "idiotic"), and 1 vote not upset.

Apparently all are OK with the Dynamo logo, including me. I got the hat.

We have two revisionist historians, and several who merely enjoy the spoils of victory.

Thank you for voting.

Note to those who think the Houston Rockets were named after NASA. Not quite, but close. They were named for the rockets that were built in San Dieo, their original home. The rockets built in San Diego, however, WERE used by NASA. When the Rockets moved to Houston from San Diego, the name stuck.

Perhaps if you are going to condescendingly denounce commonly accepted historical facts as revisionist you could enlighten us as to what is historically accurate?

Does anyone really like that song they play at Texans games before kick off? The "Whoa oh oh oh...Whoa oh oh oh oh..." song? What is that song? Doesn't it sound remotely...uh...I don't know...less than masculine?

Hopefully, the arbiters of appropriate forum etiquette will appreciate my attempts to get the thread back on topic. It's a little too early for me to talk x's and o's so I figured I would throw something out about the overall Texans experience.

Edited by scottf

• 3 months later...

Faggins played the WRs and the ball great last night. Also had a really nice tackle as he was on the ground.

side question: I have full bars inside Reliant but for some reason can't make outgoing calls, recieve incoming calls or even text message. Anyone else have this problem? It happens every time I go.

Record predictions anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

About the Texans today, O-line was horrible, which made Scaub put up Carr like numbers. Flashes of 2005. Defense against the running games was awful too. I still am hoping for 9-10 wins. It's past time to draft a running back in the first round for God's sake. Bright note? The Colts are losing late in the night game and Jacksonville lost too. Bad news, Vince Young is hurt So the Titans might actually be better.

• 3 weeks later...

This was the first Texans game I watched in what must be several years. I thought they played really well up until the very end. Once the QB situation is sorted out the Texans will be really awesome. So the good news is they are no longer a bad team but the bad news is that they lost.

They lost in typical Texans style, and not being a fan I was amused by it. Bout time a team came along and tried to take the joke of the league title away from my Saints. That's not just a one-year title either, there's a different goat every year, but I'm talking about decades of losing and humiliation. Texans are well on their way. Unless the Bengals take the title back...

The only thing I can compare this loss to is the Oilers loss to Buffalo. The only silver lining is that we weren't in the playoffs. The playoffs...LOL. That's something we won't have to worry about for a while. I can't believe they collapsed like that after such a well played game. To give a game away like that has to be like a sucker punch to the gut. I don't know what Kubiak can possibly to do motivate those players now. I've been a fan since McNair bought the team with that $700 million check, but I've never been more disappointed than after this game.

Losing that game, that way, was completely embarrassing.

It was really crazy to see that. I came home with just a couple of minutes left in the game and saw that they were up 27-10 and the announcers were talking about how it was one of the largest leads they have ever had on them in Reliant or something, which now I am thinking that isn't true because they beat them pretty bad a year or two ago in Reliant, but I walked into the other room to get the clothes out of the dryer and walked back in the room to see that the score was then 27-24...and they Colts were at the Texan 5 yard line...I was completely shocked. Truth be told, I am a Jaguar fan but to see them collapse like that was truly disheartening.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Discuss.

Training camp started July 31st. This is easily the best team since their inception. We definitely have all of the pieces. They just need to not commit as many turnovers and they need to improve the red zone efficiency.