• 2 weeks later...

Schedules don't matter much to me because what seems like a hard schedule today could be an easy one by the end of the year.

I'm concerned about the Texans. The turnovers were great and we capitalized on them, but the offense didn't do much beyond that. I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans win the super bowl or if they go five hundred.

The defense played gang busters against a bad team with a rookie qb and no playmaking WRs. The defensive performance was not unprecedented but we have to put things in context. What if the defense didn't come up with those turnovers? Would the offense had showed up? They diddnt show many signs they would have. Then again, Miami does have a good d coordinator.

I'm not overly concerned but the offense should have played better.

I like our chances, its just that I don't wanna put the cart before the horse the way a lot of media are.

Hmmm...fewest points allowed on opening day of any team so far, no offensive touchdowns allowed, 337 yards of offense, 30 points scored, 2nd largest margin of victory (largest was 21), and no turnovers. Yeah, I'm concerned, too.

Counterpoint: It was the Dolphins.

Even the players expressed frustration at mistakes they made on the field in the locker room after. A tougher team would have exploited these mistakes. They know there are problems and they're working to fix them. No need to sugarcoat it.

Counterpoint: It was the Dolphins.

Even the players expressed frustration at mistakes they made on the field in the locker room after. A tougher team would have exploited these mistakes. They know there are problems and they're working to fix them. No need to sugarcoat it.

First game. Teams play up to the competition. They also play down to the competition. They played just hard enough to blow out the Dolphins. No need to crawl out onto the ledge. If they continue the sloppy play, then you can worry. Or, if worrying is how you get your jollies, you can worry now.

It should be obvious, but half the teams lost yesterday, and eight of the winners won by 8 points or less. The Texans are one of only six teams to win in a blowout, and they did it while making many mistakes. Good teams win the games they are supposed to win. Great teams win even when they suck. The Texans used to lose when they played well. People have short memories.

Edited by RedScare
  • Like 1

I'm a little concerned about the running game and special team play, but every thing else is clicking. Holliday looked great in pre-season but sure stunk yesterday.

you shouldn't be concerned about the running game.

Miami was ranked 3rd in the league for least yards allowed for the running game at 95 yards. However, they ranked 25th in the league last year for passing yards allowed, allowing almost 250 yards. The offense attacked their weak secondary. It was a good choice.

Foster had 26 carries for 79 yards. Tate did the bulk of the work with a massive 5 carries for a total of 6 yards, with numbers like that, this kid is going to the probowl.

Edited by samagon

Miami was ranked 3rd in the league for least yards allowed for the running game at 95 yards.

And the Texans ranked second in the league in running last year so Dolphins defense or not they should have had a better showing. There were way to many third and one's they failed to convert.

• 2 weeks later...

These Texans are unstoppable! I seriously don't think the Jets will give the Texans much fuss even though they will be at Metlife Stadium next week.

I expect our boys to be 5-0 going into the home game vs Green Bay. I think that will be our first real test this season. It will really show if our boys are really up for a Super Bowl run this season.

Gotta love this kid J.J. Watt

jjWatt.jpg

• Like 1

Miami was ranked 3rd in the league for least yards allowed for the running game at 95 yards. However, they ranked 25th in the league last year for passing yards allowed, allowing almost 250 yards. The offense attacked their weak secondary. It was a good choice.

Foster had 26 carries for 79 yards. Tate did the bulk of the work with a massive 5 carries for a total of 6 yards, with numbers like that, this kid is going to the probowl.

Update from around the league, Miami sucks at everything else, but they lead the league in rushing defense, only allowing 56 yards averaged over the total games so far.

We did really well against them, considering that.

• 2 months later...

It's flattering when the sports guy gushes about you. (edit: not the sports guy)

This post was supposed to be an appreciation for the best in offensive and defensive line play each Sunday, and if that's what it is, then no one really mattered this week except J.J. Watt. I've said just about everything I can about Watt this season, and that's why this time, I'm not saying anything. Here, simply, are the five best moments from Watt's 10-tackle, three-sack Sunday afternoon. Just take it all in, people. We're watching something here.

http://www.grantland...w-a-gif-tribute

Could he win the MVP?

Also from the nyt http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/11/2011-draft-delivered-star-defenders/

Edited by lockmat

It's flattering when the sports guy gushes about you. (edit: not the sports guy)

http://www.grantland...w-a-gif-tribute

Could he win the MVP?

Also from the nyt http://fifthdown.blo...star-defenders/

Usually the league MVP goes to an offensive player. Peyton Manning's comeback from several neck surgeries to Adrian Peterson's quick comeback from ACL surgery means he probably won't win it but it doesn't negate the fact that we are watching history being made with this guy. Would love to see him break Micheal Strahan's single season sack record. He needs 3 more sacks and he has two games left to do it.

Today's performance was pathetic. They still have a chance to win home field advantage throughout the playoffs with a win against the Colts next Sunday, but there is a problem. They've never won in Indi and the Colt's coach will return to the sidleine from his lukemia treatment. SMH......

I have gotten a lot of flak for saying this, but I think Schaub is the next Mark Sanchez and honestly I believe he needs to go. He is too conservative and does not move around in the pocket.. the only place he moves is backwards (like last game one play he went back almost half the field!).

Also, I think we should do more passing plays on 1st and 2nd down and running plays when we are closer to the 1st down, although it is hard to trust Schaub lately with passing plays.

I have gotten a lot of flak for saying this, but I think Schaub is the next Mark Sanchez and honestly I believe he needs to go. He is too conservative and does not move around in the pocket.. the only place he moves is backwards (like last game one play he went back almost half the field!).

Also, I think we should do more passing plays on 1st and 2nd down and running plays when we are closer to the 1st down, although it is hard to trust Schaub lately with passing plays.

I agree. This was the year he was supposed to prove he is an "elite" QB but he hasn't done so. Good QB's find ways to win.

Matt Schaub is the type of quarterback that has to have the play setup and run perfectly to execute. He's not elite because he can't extend plays when things aren't setup just right and he can't place the ball in places that elite quarterbacks can. Defenses gameplan to take out Arian Foster because they have no fear of Matt schaub beating them.I'm a diehard Texans fan but i don't see them winning on Sunday or going far in the playoffs.

Today's performance was pathetic. They still have a chance to win home field advantage throughout the playoffs with a win against the Colts next Sunday, but there is a problem. They've never won in Indi and the Colt's coach will return to the sidleine from his lukemia treatment. SMH......

There's also a small chance the Patriots or Broncos will lose their games, which gives us second seed.

Matt Schaub is the type of quarterback that has to have the play setup and run perfectly to execute. He's not elite because he can't extend plays when things aren't setup just right and he can't place the ball in places that elite quarterbacks can. Defenses gameplan to take out Arian Foster because they have no fear of Matt schaub beating them.I'm a diehard Texans fan but i don't see them winning on Sunday or going far in the playoffs.

Schaub is a top-notch passer. He's not mobile if he needs to run it himself, but I think only a few starting quarterbacks are. I think he's a perfectly fine quarterback, one of the top 5 in the league.

Schaub is a top-notch passer. He's not mobile if he needs to run it himself, but I think only a few starting quarterbacks are. I think he's a perfectly fine quarterback, one of the top 5 in the league.

1.Tom Brady, 2Aaron Rogers, 3.Peyton Manning, 4.Drew Brees, 5.Matt Schaub? NO WAY.