Let's step back a minute. I've been anti Vince Young since the beginning, after all I am an Aggie. However, regardless of his stats, you have to admit that the guy knows how to win. It may be ugly, it may be unorthodox, but the guy can lead a team and win. I would take his "it" factor over many other QBs with better ratings. With Young on the field you just never know what can happen and can never count his team out. And that's hard for me to say.

Ahh waiting for this one. The majical IT factor.

The Titans defense is what wins games for them. ala the Bears in spite of Rex Grossman.

Pacman Jones won more games last year for them than VY.

I do think Jeff Fisher and Norm Chow are some of the best at preparing their teams for Sunday.

If Only we had that kind of effort here. Go Texans.

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh, I hate to see Dunta go down like that! He's such a good guy and player, and you just love to root for him. It's a real shame to see him in such pain. We need him real bad, especially when it means Faggins has to take his spot. Let's hope it's an injury he can recover from quickly and won't effect his play when he returns.

Yeah, the way he was acting on the field when he got hurt. I really don't know how long a sprained knee takes to recover though. AJ had a sprained knee...

Although he was in a lot of pain, I wouldn't necessarily base how long he's gonna be out on his reaction. I think it'll just depend on how bad the ligaments were damaged. Take into account as well that this is Dunta's first serious injury in the NFL. I don't know if he had any in college, but I wonder what his injury-pain tolerance is.

Just thinking about it makes me squeem. Even though it's only one position, we can almost call it a season without him, unless Bennett plays his butt off like he did today and someone else does a decent job. I can't see Faggins playing anymore realistically.

Let's step back a minute. I've been anti Vince Young since the beginning, after all I am an Aggie. However, regardless of his stats, you have to admit that the guy knows how to win. It may be ugly, it may be unorthodox, but the guy can lead a team and win. I would take his "it" factor over many other QBs with better ratings. With Young on the field you just never know what can happen and can never count his team out. And that's hard for me to say.

It appears the bloom is off the rose. Even Richard Justice....who pimped for the Texans to draft Young....now admits VY blows. Nashville fans are screaming for Kerry Collins to start over Young. Kerry Collins! Yesterday, even the "Vince Young Fan Club", also known as ESPN, finally had to admit that Young is not very good.

Frankly, not one of the over-hyped Class of 2006 Draft has been all that great...until you get to 2nd rounders like DeMeco Ryans.

It appears the bloom is off the rose. Even Richard Justice....who pimped for the Texans to draft Young....now admits VY blows. Nashville fans are screaming for Kerry Collins to start over Young. Kerry Collins! Yesterday, even the "Vince Young Fan Club", also known as ESPN, finally had to admit that Young is not very good.

Frankly, not one of the over-hyped Class of 2006 Draft has been all that great...until you get to 2nd rounders like DeMeco Ryans.

The Titans were an overall decent team last year. And I'll continue to take the stand that he had that "it" factor that rallied the team behind him. But that was last year. He's not making the same plays this year. Last year he truly did help them win. This year, many times wins come despite him.

Did you guys watch the Titans game yesterday? He made two passes in a row that were not even close to the reciever. The obvious reason was b/c him and the reciever were not on the same page. Of course, only a few people on the team truly know what went wrong there, whether it was Vince's fault or the WR's.

I wonder if this stems from some of the qualities that 60 Minutes revealed of him - lack of leadership.

He may still have that "it" factor, but until he shows true leadership and stops reading last years headlines, he'll continue down that road.

Edited by lockmat

Which is why I exactly said outside of the Houston area. If you do go outside of the Houston area, you will rarely here that from Cowboy fans. I just find it funny how Texan fans have the Cowboys as one of there top rivals yet Cowboy fans do not think of the Texans as rivals at all. In fact, the Texans have the Cowboys as one of their top 5 rivalries while the Cowboys have the Texans outside of the top 10.

This isn't a diss to the Texans because I actually root for them when they aren't playing the Cowboys. But it's still weird yet funny to see the hatred be so one-sided.

That's because the any team that the Cowboys have a really tough time beating, they don't see them as a rival, they see them as somebody they DON'T want to play, thus they try to forget about them, i.e. The Houston Texans.

That's because the any team that the Cowboys have a really tough time beating, they don't see them as a rival, they see them as somebody they DON'T want to play, thus they try to forget about them, i.e. The Houston Texans.

No that's not it. We have a losing record against the Niners all time but we see them as one of our chief rivals. It comes down to history and there is none between the Cowboys and Texans and there probably never will be one unless the two teams meet in the superbowl.

Yeah but in 10 years Reggie is going to be one of the top ten rushers of all time and Dayne doesn't have ten years left in him. Dayne's entire career has been riddled with issues. Benched for lack of commitment, injuries, inability to break tackles, one of the biggest disappointments to the Heisman, since Ricky Williams and Archie Griffin.

Yeah but in 10 years Reggie is going to be one of the top ten rushers of all time and Dayne doesn't have ten years left in him. Dayne's entire career has been riddled with issues. Benched for lack of commitment, injuries, inability to break tackles, one of the biggest disappointments to the Heisman, since Ricky Williams and Archie Griffin.

What?! Reggie Bush hasn't had a 100 yard game yet in his career, and you think he will be Top 10 for leading rushers of all time. If you had said Adrian Peterson, then yeah, but Reggie "Overhyped" Bush? HELL NO!

Great game for the Texans today. They beat a team they should have and didn't have many mental breakdowns. It was good to see AJ back and nice to see Schaub have a good game. If only we could get Ahman back, we'd be in early season form. I was really impressed with our defense as well, they are riddled with injuries but held a good offense to only 10 points! Go Texans! Except for Bob McNair and his Astrodome-redevelopment-killin-ass.

I'm so glad we didn't get Reggie Bush. Ron Dayne had a better day than him.

Ron had a great day. I was very pleased. Even when it seemed like he didn't get good yardage, he did. If he keeps falling forward like that and he averages four yards a carry, I'll take that. But I still think he'd be better as a compliment to Green's game.

What?! Reggie Bush hasn't had a 100 yard game yet in his career, and you think he will be Top 10 for leading rushers of all time. If you had said Adrian Peterson, then yeah, but Reggie "Overhyped" Bush? HELL NO!
At his current pace of 40 yds/game, Reggie should pass Marcus Allen for 10th place on the rushing list sometime during the 2024 season.

I hope I am alive to see it.

I hope you are too Red :lol:

Seriously though, Just how many complete games has he had as a starter, up until Duece Mc went down? He has started 8 games! He only started 0 games his rookie year, he was used on a limited basis while he learned the system. I think that was a coaching decision. Especially since New Orleans had Duece in his prime, they had the luxury of being able to do that. He's just getting started.

Let's do a little comparison:

Emmit Smith, the undisputed All Time leading rusher in the NFL:

Rookie Year

Year TM | GP | GS | Att | Yards | Y/A | TD | Rec | Yards | Y/R | TD

1991 DAL | 16 | 14 | 241 | 937 | 3.9 | 11 | 24 | 228 | 9.5 | 0

Emmit started 14 games and carried the ball and average of 17 times a game, that's fairly active for a rookie.

Now Reggie:

Rookie Year

2006 NO | 16 | 0 | 155 | 565 | 3.6 | 6 | 88 | 742 | 8.4 | 2

Reggie has only carries the ball 275 in his entire career for a total of 1,016 yds @ an average of 3.7 yds/carry and 10 TD's. He's started a total of eight games in his short career, I am thinking he's got some rrom to grow.

Just for laughs lets look at Mr. Dayne

Rookie Year

2000 NYG | 16 | 16 | 228 | 770 | 3.4 | 5 | 3 | 11 | 3.7 | 0 |

Dayne started 16 games his rookie year, of course the Giants had Tiki Barber also, but I am thinking Reggie is holding his own with as little playing time as he's had. And we are not talking about the Cowboys or Giants, we are talking about a team that's only made six (6) playoff game appearances in 40 years. And a team who only had there best season ever last year, and has an over all win loss record of 251 - 363 - 5. I still think there's hope for the kid.

Please. Emmit Smith wasn't even that good. You could run an SUV through that offensive line he had. I would take Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, and a few others over Emmit. I really don't know what you see in Reggie that has him being one of the NFL's top ten leading rushers of all time. Deuce McAllister has been down since the third game, and Reggie has produced squat as a running back. I'm not saying Ron Dayne is good either (because he isn't), but Reggie is just an average running back. Adrian Peterson in half of a season has more rushing yards than Bush has had since last year.

However, regardless of his stats, you have to admit that the guy knows how to win. It may be ugly, it may be unorthodox, but the guy can lead a team and win. I would take his "it" factor over many other QBs with better ratings. With Young on the field you just never know what can happen and can never count his team out. And that's hard for me to say.

OK, so when Young had terrible stats, but the team won, everyone said he has the "IT" factor, and "he just knows hoe to win". Now, he has had his two best games statistically, BUT the Titans have lost both games. So, does that mean that "Vince Young just knows how to lose"?

BTW, both games he threw an INT with less than 2 minutes to go, and the Titans trying to come back.

Oh, and Jay Cutler went to Vanderbilt. Hometown boy. Sound familiar? :lol:

OK, so when Young had terrible stats, but the team won, everyone said he has the "IT" factor, and "he just knows hoe to win". Now, he has had his two best games statistically, BUT the Titans have lost both games. So, does that mean that "Vince Young just knows how to lose"?

BTW, both games he threw an INT with less than 2 minutes to go, and the Titans trying to come back.

Oh, and Jay Cutler went to Vanderbilt. Hometown boy. Sound familiar? :lol:

I agree w/ your point, but the reason why he had such big games stats wise is b/c they were down early, right? So then, Fisher couldn't play his style of football and run the ball all game like he wants to. So it's partly the fault of the defensive for getting in an early hole. It's not fair though to place all the blame on them, b/c it's the NFL, you're going to get down early sometimes. That's when the offense needs to step its game up...Vince

True, the offense got behind by 14 early in both games, and the Titans run oriented offense is not geared toward making up deficits. Fisher has said that he tries not to have Young throw more than 20-25 passes a game. Part of this is to keep the pressure off Young. But, both Jacksonville and Denver keyed on the run to force Young to throw the ball. This helped bump up his yardage, but by throwing 40 times a game, they figured he'd throw some INTs, which Young happily obliged. In fact, he threw game killing INTs in both games late in the 4th.

Look to see more teams use this approach against the Titans. Young has been marketed as a last minute saviour for the last two years. Now, apparently NFL defenses are saying put up or shut up. We'll see if it works. Texans fans should recognize this approach, as it was used effectively against David Carr, too.

For the Texans, they are now one game out in the wild card race. We will now get to see how they play when the games count, too.

True, the offense got behind by 14 early in both games, and the Titans run oriented offense is not geared toward making up deficits. Fisher has said that he tries not to have Young throw more than 20-25 passes a game. Part of this is to keep the pressure off Young. But, both Jacksonville and Denver keyed on the run to force Young to throw the ball. This helped bump up his yardage, but by throwing 40 times a game, they figured he'd throw some INTs, which Young happily obliged. In fact, he threw game killing INTs in both games late in the 4th.

Look to see more teams use this approach against the Titans. Young has been marketed as a last minute saviour for the last two years. Now, apparently NFL defenses are saying put up or shut up. We'll see if it works. Texans fans should recognize this approach, as it was used effectively against David Carr, too.

For the Texans, they are now one game out in the wild card race. We will now get to see how they play when the games count, too.

What's amazing is that Fisher has been using this strategy for years. Maybe he's upped it more the past two, but I wonder if more blame could be placed on Vince for not making up the difference McNair did, although that is a little unfair to compair.

Either the running game is slumping, or the past two defenses have used a different strategy, or maybe both. If you watch a Titans game, you just know they're gonna run almost every play. Maybe offenses should start emulating their blocking scheme instead of the Denver's?

Anyway...

I didn't realize the Texans were that close in the playoff hunt! I'm not sure if it was the bye week rest, but I think we have a good chance if we play w/ the same energy of last week.

Edited by lockmat

I am sensing a playoff berth for our boys in Red White and Blue. We got one of our BIG GUNS back and I just have to ask. Has anyone ever seen a WR more open than AJ ont hat TD pass ? AJ looked like 7/11.......... open 24/7.

You first statement gets me real excited. I hope it's true.

But yeah, they showed the film of that play over and over. Initially I thought, how in the heck did he get so open? But that safety bit the play-action, which by the way we do a really good job of, I think.

Please. Emmit Smith wasn't even that good. You could run an SUV through that offensive line he had. I would take Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, and a few others over Emmit. I really don't know what you see in Reggie that has him being one of the NFL's top ten leading rushers of all time. Deuce McAllister has been down since the third game, and Reggie has produced squat as a running back. I'm not saying Ron Dayne is good either (because he isn't), but Reggie is just an average running back. Adrian Peterson in half of a season has more rushing yards than Bush has had since last year.

Name the few others. I can understand Walter Payton and maybe Barry Sanders and I say maybe because Barry did not perform well under pressure especially in the playoffs and he did have pro bowler Lomis Brown on the offensive line. If other running backs could run through that offensive line, how come all the other backs couldn't? Barry was a better runner than Emmitt. Emmitt was the better rusher and the more complete back. Blocking, Catching the ball out of the backfield, and running is what made Emmitt great. If Emmitt wasn't that good, why did the Cowboys start 1993 0-2 and once he came back, the Cowboys proceeded to go 12-2 on the way to winning it's 2nd straight superbowl.