The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

Location, location, location. Not rocket science. Why would you buy a house in Timbergrove manor when you could buy a huuuuuge house for the same amount in Katy? Also, a majority of TM flooded during Allison.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welllllll, I was being slightly rhetorical with my post. I understand some people don't want to deal with remodeling. I think my point is moreso that I'm always surprised (and continue to be) that hordes of people are so apparently willing to chunk down large amounts of cash for a (usually poorly contructed) vertical structure on a tiny sliver of land wedged into the back of a subdivided lot.

Not to mention buying new construction is a hideously poor investment decision when there is so much unused land and teardown capacity for someone else to buy their own new construction in 3 years instead of your "old" townhouse.

As far as location: we both work downtown, so, yep, that's why we bought the house. 10 minutes to work garage-to-garage.

The price of a home is equal to the present value of its utility in monetary units relative to other goods and investments available to the consumer. Therefore, if a developer spends an additional $30,000 on a home to extend its useful life from 50 years to 100 years, and the market rental rate is $1,500 per month, then the PV of each of those $1,500 payments net of expenses must exceed the additional costs incurred during construction.

You're not impressing anyone by trying to sound like a college textbook. Older homes and buildings had better quality construction - they were far more solid and durable. I can show you carpentry manuals from successive eras where what is derided as cheap and unworthy of any builder who cares about his reputation in one era is, thirty years later, presented as standard practice. Part of this has to do with our disposable culture, and part of it simply has to do with the price of materials - there are no more giant forests ripe for the taking. At any rate, anyone who knows about construction knows that quality has declined.

• 1 month later...
I noticed that the 3 story building across E. 10th from Glasswall was torn down last week. I suspect it could become a parking lot for Glasswall, but I would love to see some more local retail developed there.

Does anyone know the plans for the site?

Not sure... hopefully not a parking lot. I ate at the Glasswall once... really liked it.

Good Afternoon All,

hope your day goes well !

About a week ago I was driving near Oxford and noticed people and some signs about signatures for

making the neighborhood Historic District ?

I thought the Heights was already a historic district ? Do the plans only include certain parts of the Heights ?

Maybe just certain streets ?

Thank You

I'm hoping for another Aggie designed, fake stucco strip mall with a dry cleaners and a cell phone shop! :o

Actually I would like to see another Glass Wall type structure pulled closer to the street with parking in the back.

Good Afternoon All,

hope your day goes well !

About a week ago I was driving near Oxford and noticed people and some signs about signatures for

making the neighborhood Historic District ?

I thought the Heights was already a historic district ? Do the plans only include certain parts of the Heights ?

Maybe just certain streets ?

Thank You

Only the Proctor Plaza neighborhood is actually designated historic- designated by the street signs with the brown star on them. I don't know what area they're trying to designate, but my understanding is that a certain percentage of houses have to be original, which would rule out the area where I see all the signs. I'd love more info, though. ANyone?

Only the Proctor Plaza neighborhood is actually designated historic- designated by the street signs with the brown star on them. I don't know what area they're trying to designate, but my understanding is that a certain percentage of houses have to be original, which would rule out the area where I see all the signs. I'd love more info, though. ANyone?

this is from the GHPA website:

http://www.ghpa.org/hnc/guide.html

The area must include at least 51 percent historic houses, buildings, structures, and objects over 50 years old, and approval from at least 67 percent of the landowners owning at least 51 percent of the land area. Your neighborhood must file an application with the City of Houston Department of Planning.

Norhill (i.e. Proctor Plaza) is the only Heights neighborhood that is in a historic district.

(Not that being in a houston historic district actually means anything)

list of current city historic districts:

• Avondale, East

• Courtlandt Place

• Main Street/Market Square

• Norhill

• Old Sixth Ward

• West Eleventh Place

• Westmoreland

Edited by gnu

Guest Malvoe
Actually I would like to see another Glass Wall type structure pulled closer to the street with parking in the back.

Agreed. And according to someone on another forum, that is what is going there. Hopefully with another good restaurant as a tenant

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that the building at the corner of W. Melwood & Studewood is being renovated. First it was a fresh coat of paint, then some ceiling fans over the entry area behind the cinder block wall and now a new fence off to the right.

Any ideas or rumors on what this will be?

Word in the hood is it is an art consulting business. See relevant posts here:

http://www.proctorplaza.com/forum/index.ph...1&topic=588

Having walked by the place, there seems to be an emphasis on privacy and security - the cinderblock wall, papered over windows and security cameras. Not sure if they've got a big safe full of paintings or ceramics inside...

From the framing it looks like the garage doors will front the street, right up to the setback line, ala a Perry townhome. I thought this was prohibited by the deed restrictions in that area?

I think those may be front windows. There appears to be an alleyway and garages going up on the back of the property.

Yep. Seen them more complete. Definately no garages in front.

Edited by west20th

• 1 month later...

Hello -

I am moving to Houston, family in tow, and am house hunting. Based on my limited knowledge of the area and my extensive reading of this board, I love the Heights. My wife, originally dead set on West U, has decided that the Heights could be fun ... the Woodland Heights. My next task is to get her to expand the Heights target area a little farther. Her key word, that drives me nuts because it is NOT what we are looking for, is "homogenous". I think that she actually means "family-friendly, safe, charming" ... think Woodland Heights. Sidewalks, no low-income apartments, etc. I want to stay inside the loop. We both find areas you can walk, shop, play, experience very fun.

So, where else can I succeed in finding "presentable" Heights neighborhoods? I am looking in the square bordered by W 11th, W 20th, Shepherd, and Heights, but have been nixed ... appropriately, in your opinion? Can you recommend other "blocks"? Do I need to stay East (or West?) of Heights Blvd?

Thanks in advance - we are very excited to be in Houston, just want to make sure we get to a place we are all happy. I appreciate your expertise in action, where available - I think we would be good neighbors!

Her key word, that drives me nuts because it is NOT what we are looking for, is "homogenous". I think that she actually means "family-friendly, safe, charming" ... think Woodland Heights. Sidewalks, no low-income apartments, etc. I want to stay inside the loop. We both find areas you can walk, shop, play, experience very fun.

Although I'm not a big fan of West U because it is so "homogenous," it's got everything you're looking for. You can walk to the Village for shopping, there's a charming little grocery store that's kid friendly, Little League is huge, there's a library right by the Little League field. And the schools are good.

If you're new to Houston, West U is an easy place to start. It's all there. Once you've lived here a while, you might decide other neighborhoods are better suited to your tastes. But I think West U is a good place to start if you can afford it.

I think that she actually means "family-friendly, safe, charming" ... think Woodland Heights. Sidewalks, no low-income apartments, etc. I want to stay inside the loop. We both find areas you can walk, shop, play, experience very fun.

So, where else can I succeed in finding "presentable" Heights neighborhoods? I am looking in the square bordered by W 11th, W 20th, Shepherd, and Heights, but have been nixed ... appropriately, in your opinion? Can you recommend other "blocks"? Do I need to stay East (or West?) of Heights Blvd?

A few notes on your posting. I live in the WH and it's AWESOME, family-friendly, safe and charming. However, know that 'inner loop' will never have the feel of the 'burbs regarding safety. I don't know your background so I'm just giving a few bits of info that might help. You can't leave your garage door open during the day, you eventually will probably get something taken from your flower beds or a car broken into, etc. Not really any violent crime, but there's a higher level of crime here than outside the loop. I personally would stay E of Heights Blvd and south of 19th and North of 6th...you were nixed appropriately IMO. That's not to say there aren't gem's outside that, but that's the area I like to bike ride through to scope out the 'hood. Check out Norhill, www.proctorplaza.com, it's north of WH and is much like what you're looking for in regards to atmosphere. I personally like the areas E of Studewood the best, just don't get too close to Main when you go north.

When we looked for our house we got a real-estate agent who lived in the area, if you don't have one and want his details you can PM me. The thing I've learned is that each block is different, even up in Sunset Heights there are some nice blocks.

Hello -

I am moving to Houston, family in tow, and am house hunting. Based on my limited knowledge of the area and my extensive reading of this board, I love the Heights. My wife, originally dead set on West U, has decided that the Heights could be fun ... the Woodland Heights. My next task is to get her to expand the Heights target area a little farther. Her key word, that drives me nuts because it is NOT what we are looking for, is "homogenous". I think that she actually means "family-friendly, safe, charming" ... think Woodland Heights. Sidewalks, no low-income apartments, etc. I want to stay inside the loop. We both find areas you can walk, shop, play, experience very fun.

Thanks in advance - we are very excited to be in Houston, just want to make sure we get to a place we are all happy. I appreciate your expertise in action, where available - I think we would be good neighbors!

The Cleavers don't live in the Heights so just keep an open mind.

Edited by musicman

I agree with the suggestion to look at Norhill.

And musicman makes an excellent point. No matter how "homogenous" a neighborhood may be in the loop, there are always some non desirable elements mixed in. Even Woodland Heights has a couple of tenement-style slum apartments, + the scary convenience store on Bayland.

If you're willing to wait for a while until the developers have had their way with the Heights and replaced all the old houses with McVictorians, I'm sure all the lesser elements will be driven out. Just make sure you're prepared to pay $800K for a starter home.

I'd recommend Shady acres... 14-26th East of the Bayou and West of Shepard/Durham. I live in that neighborhood and there isn't a lot of low-income apartments or shacks, there are some old warehouses but those are quickly disappearing and being replaced by new construction. Of course the area is still transitional so it all depends on your idea of what is acceptable. Coming form Washington DC we find the area to be extremely nice and a steal for the money, but someone coming from Katy would probably tell you otherwise. It's very similar to your initial heights area but quite a bit less expensive because it's less well known or "discovered." One realtor told us "you don't want to live there" but once we drove around we fired her and hired a new realtor based in the neighborhood, because while historically it may not have been nice, now it is almost entirely redeveloped. I wouldn't be afraid a raise a kid in the area and there are lots of parks and ballfields for family activity.

Wow - I am flattered and grateful by the number of responses, and the helpfulness of the information! This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for ... and incidentally, one of the reasons I am so attracted to the Heights. You "care" and "help", and that is what a neighborhood should be!

I thank you for the thoughts, and they will be incorporated into the search. I feel some obligation to respond in some way, so I will come back with periodic updates when relevant (but I will not, I promise, drag you through our entire search - nobody can "care" that much without being a little creepy!)

We are young 30's with an under 1 year old, and find the Cleavers cute but cloying. We lived in the mid-city in Atlanta prior to Baby, and have been city residents most of our lives, so we are aware and okay with the risks of intown living (petty crime, areas-to-avoid, etc.) and just want to take reasonable steps to mitigate bigger problems. Trust me - if we wanted to live with the Cleavers, we know where to find them. That is not appealing to us.

Our search is for a 3+ bedroom 2+ bath w/ garage without significant restoration/maintenance problems. Price is difficult to discuss online - like anyone, we just want a good value for the money we spend, whatever range that falls in. We are looking in areas that seem appropriate for our budgeted purchase price.

It is reassuring that many of the areas you have mentioned (including those outside the Heights) are the same as our Realtor - I have trouble trusting a "single source" but it is much easier to swallow when it seems to be conventional wisdom. Thanks again for the tips and the friendliness - I was maybe premature with my prediction that *we* would be good neighbors, but you all seem to already fit the bill.

What is incredibly helpful for the online search we are relegated to is that you have subdivided the "Heights" into regions I can concentrate on. Thanks again, and all the best to you.

Most of Woodland Heights is zoned to Travis Elementary, which is a "Vanguard" school, and one that many young professionals send their kids to without worry. For people that live in the rest of the Heights, they hope their kid is smart enough to get into the Vanguard program (or convince the admistrators the kid is smart enough) which means the kid can attend Travis or other "good" schools like River Oaks.

You probably would not want to send your child to any other elementary school in the Heights, and, for that matter any of the middle or high schools. If the kid is in the "Vanguard" program, they can attend other middle and high schools. Otherwise, you either have to move to another school district, or cough up for private school.

Sinclair elementary isn't as bad as most of the others in the heights but there is only a small section of shady acres zoned to that school and Waltrip high instead of Reagan another plus. Hamilton junior high which serves most of the heights and shady acres is also the vanguard magnet so it should be pretty good. But as with all urban school districts if you want the best education you have to go private. My wife and I are holding out hope for sinclair- hamilton- and waltrip to improve as the area genetrifies, which was another reason for using buying where we did in shady acres bc the elementary schools in the heights have further to go than sinclair.

If you want to compare schools here is a site that I like to use:

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/go/TX

Edited by Urbannomad

I love the Heights. However, if you want to expand your search a little, you could certainly include more places than just the Heights or West U.

Some of my personal favorites include Cherryhurst (just North of Westheimer around Cherryhurst Park), Avondale (older section of Montrose), Winlow Place (77019 zip code is the same as River Oaks but this 'hood lies to the East of Shepherd where San Felipe turns into Vermont St.), the Museum District especially around Bell Park...

Our search is for a 3+ bedroom 2+ bath w/ garage without significant restoration/maintenance problems. Price is difficult to discuss online - like anyone, we just want a good value for the money we spend, whatever range that falls in. We are looking in areas that seem appropriate for our budgeted purchase price.

good luck on your hunt....this paragraph makes it sound challenging...at least for the average Cleaver. not often you hear Heights and budget in the same sentence.

Edited by musicman

Sounds like you have similar criteria to those of my wife and me. If I may, below are two suggestions. We bought here and absolutely love the place... 3bd 2.5 bath, 2 car detached garage, small yard (front and back), faces the street/sidewalk not a courtyard for 250k. Everything else in the neighborhood starts around $280 - $350K for a concrete yard. It's new construction if you are open to that, I like the old bungalow fixer-upers but since we both work that wasn't a reality for us. But like I said I bought here so my opinion is definitely biased but take a look around the area.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

Guess I'm done pimping out shady acres for now. :D

Edited by Urbannomad