The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

I went to the festival yesterday. We arrived at noon, just in time for the parade which was quite nice with a very small town feel -- local marching bands, local politicians, local businesses, art cars. etc. We hung around for about two hours looking at all the booths selling crafts, jewelry, etc. There was a kids area and several booths aimed at the kiddies too. It was hot but the sun stayed hidden most of the time and an occasional breeze made it livable. Parking was tight but doable. And a good time was had by all.

We want a full report on the festival, WG!

Oh I had a ball. Nice liberal atmosphere, great shops along W 19th, and the weather couldn't have been any better. Glad I went and will definitely go next year. It was meant for me to go to this thing. I heard from someone at the festival that the day before was ok. I took some pictures of the event and you can catch them on a photo essay I did of Houston's west end on SSP. The pics in the Heights are at the end.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread...?threadid=88198

• 3 months later...

The stuff between 4th and 5th? The faux Tuscan is like adding another themed joyride to the funpark. I suppose it is a great precursor as you drive up to the obtuse new red brick orphanage as you head toward White Oak.

The complete remodel on the corner of 5th and Heights is an admirable job of historic renewal of what may well have been a big teardown. They have spent untold thousands remodeling. They also appeared to go to great lengths to save the trees.

Could the new owners of "Table in The Heights" restaurant that tore down the historical Ashland House just listen to what the neighborhood wants? They want to preserve their history, not start new from ground up.

As long as no viable homes are being demolished, I am all for new homes on Heights. Personally, I would like to see some more creative architecture. If you're going to build something new, make it great, no average like the faux Tuscan. I agree with the idea of building in the look of the neighborhood, but not if it's crap. I would rather see a cool glass and steel that reflects the era it's being built in. After all, the homes we all love to save represent the time period in which they were built.

You know what building I like: The United Way HQ on Waugh. I think that's a pretty nice looking office building... Just a random thought there :blush:

Anyway, I think it would be great to live on Heights. I think it's a beautiful street.

What do you think of the new construction going on between 4th and 5th on the Blvd? Does anyone have any opinions on living on the Blvd? There is a house to be moved and a home will be built. Im interested in moving to the area. Tuscan home was recently completed. Any info?

I think the Tuscan house looks great. But not were it is. It sticks out like a sore thumb

no building in the works at 430 heights yet, but it was demo'd by someone named kenneth everts and is owned by someone named gabriel arango (from the arango chiropractic clinic on n. shepherd)... :unsure::blink:

Edited by sevfiv

Found out that a home will be built @ 4000 sq ft with garage apt. The exterior design has not been established. He said Italianate or Victorian. Will be for sale soon and is willing to build to suit.

Somewhere in the $800,000 range. Italian home at 438 is very nice. Same builder.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Afternoon All,

hope your day goes well!

Can someone please shed some light , input , feedback , thoughts , ideas or

comments on the following:

What are the pros and cons to the Heights Prevailing Lot Line or Prevailing Lot size topic

that is being mentioned , analyzed , and plan of action from the HHA .

It seems that some people or builders are for the developing of multiple structure per lot

while others do not want to see these types of buildings like in Montrose area ?

I think that Sunset Heights lost several blocks to a developer ??

Thank You

"make it a great day "

Good Afternoon All,

hope your day goes well!

Can someone please shed some light , input , feedback , thoughts , ideas or

comments on the following:

What are the pros and cons to the Heights Prevailing Lot Line or Prevailing Lot size topic

that is being mentioned , analyzed , and plan of action from the HHA .

It seems that some people or builders are for the developing of multiple structure per lot

while others do not want to see these types of buildings like in Montrose area ?

I think that Sunset Heights lost several blocks to a developer ??

Thank You

"make it a great day "

One thing to keep in mind as far as prevailing lot sizes for much of the Heights and Sunset Heights. The original intent of the developers were for those 25' lots that they were trying to eliminate with the 6,000 Sq/ft. standard in Sunset Heights. If you check the old plats that's how the Heights was laid out. A 6,000 sq. ft. minimum does not reflect the original "character" of the area. The important thing for developers to follow is the established neighborhood setbacks and home elevations.

Edited by west20th

One thing to keep in mind as far as prevailing lot sizes for much of the Heights and Sunset Heights. The original intent of the developers were for those 25' lots that they were trying to eliminate with the 6,000 Sq/ft. standard in Sunset Heights. If you check the old plats that's how the Heights was laid out. A 6,000 sq. ft. minimum does not reflect the original "character" of the area. The important thing for developers to follow is the established neighborhood setbacks and home elevations.

Agreed. I live in the southwestern part of the Heights where the lots are platted at approximately 3,000 sq. ft. So far, the new construction single family homes fit on this size lot and look good. All of us, including the builders, will benefit if the established neighborhood setbacks and styles are followed.

The thing that has me concerned are the new contemporary designs on 8th and on Rutland. These do not fit the neighborhood but they are selling.

The thing that has me concerned are the new contemporary designs on 8th and on Rutland. These do not fit the neighborhood but they are selling.

Oh no! We must certainly be on the lookout for developers building what people want, as evidenced by their willingness to pay gobs of money. Cuz we all know that the world would be a whole lot better off if everyone just built certain types of styles in one area and not in others...it's like we'd be building a utopia...heaven on earth. There wouldn't be any conflict because nobody would have any choices to make that might be controversial...how blissful. :rolleyes:

P.S. Editor, can we get a smiley that has long grimy hair, glazed-over eyes, and possibly facepaint or a flower in the hair.

U.S.A.

U.S.A!

My American flag is bigger than yours!

You're a pinko commie if you don't like developers destroying the fabric of your hood!

You're less American if you actually CARE about what your neighbors want and what they have worked to preserve over the course of several decades because now the Heights is HIP and I wanna move there but not without my street facing 4 car garage, gated lot (better yet, gate the whole damn hood to keep "those" folks out), fake stucco, cheap siding, roof deck 80 feet above height restrictions for downtown views, maple cabinets, granite countertops, stainless appliances, and a paved front yard to showcase my Hummer.

It's MY right to demand this. Screw the rest of the world cuz that's what America is about and if you don't like it you must spell MY country with a "K" and be one of them dirty-haired liberals.

:wacko:

Oh no! We must certainly be on the lookout for developers building what people want, as evidenced by their willingness to pay gobs of money. Cuz we all know that the world would be a whole lot better off if everyone just built certain types of styles in one area and not in others...it's like we'd be building a utopia...heaven on earth. There wouldn't be any conflict because nobody would have any choices to make that might be controversial...how blissful. :rolleyes:

P.S. Editor, can we get a smiley that has long grimy hair, glazed-over eyes, and possibly facepaint or a flower in the hair.

The developers who are not new to the area know that traditional is what sells in the Heights. The buyers who then try to sell learn the hard way that what is not traditional in the Heights is slow to sell. That's just the way it is.

Prevailing lot size doesn't have to do with what type of structures go in does it? I thought it only had to do with cutting up a lot and reselling it.

I am planning on working to get my little area of the Heights protected. Not every part of town needs to be protected, I will grant you. Look at how well Midtown is doing with all the townhomes! However, not every part of town needs to be a townhome maze either. The Heights is special because of its small town feel and you would loose that if you lost the lawns and trees that are everywhere. I feel the same about the 6th ward and Montrose and other neighboorhoods that have a "feel" to it. Even the 4th ward, which, where it could use some clean up - doesn't need to be compeletely paved over with apartments and tin cans (sorry to my friends who live in the cans)

Well, there are a lot of people in Houston that just want anything. They want anything as long as it has granite countertops and stainless appliances. They want it if it has 3000 sq ft of Pergo. It just doesn't seem like a lot of developers are putting a lot of thought in to what they build these days... <_<

Personally, I think Heights Blvd just has a ton of potential. Its revival can be a real source of momentum for the area, and its master-planned design is great, given that Yale takes all of the traffic. It is obviously a poor stand-in for NOLA's St. Charles, but it has the potential to be a real symbol of this part of town. The only other master-planned street of its kind that I can think of is River Oaks Blvd, which is much shorter and less significant to the neighborhood (even if the houses are worth a fortune).

That said, we should be having a party outside the site of every demolished apartment complex on the street. I just hope they get to as many of them as possible during the current wave of construction.

There aren't that many of 'em left. They do stick out, though. Some in a more obnoxious way than some others. The landscaping and fauna, however, are unrivaled. Absolutely beautiful.

What I'm really more concerned with, however, with regards to the Heights is the western stretch of White Oak Drive, from about Oxford to Heights Blvd. There are still a handful of empty structures that are going to waste as well as a couple of hangers on residential properties that aren't so well-maintained.

That stretch of White Oak has actually seen a recent influx of businesses, although they are kind of sketchy. There is a new T-shirt shop, gift / antiques shop, and bike shop, and I think the Rocky's Taqueria may have been bought by that crazy art gallery/aircraft hanger business on the next block. That stretch is in the middle of the reconstruction trend, so it is unlikely to turn into anything too unsightly.

The real question is what it will take to get a Starbucks in the Heights... ;)

The art gallery Quonset hut is for sale. The HAR.com review says it would make a great restaurant....in the DRY Heights? Not.

http://realtorshelp.har.com/search/engine/...=0&backButton=Y

They could go the "club" route like Shade, but I don't think this location has the $$ potential for anyone to go through that kind of trouble.

Please don't stone me, but I would love a starbucks up here with a drive through! Most of our little M&P operations (which I love and love to support) have bankers hours! I tried to get a quick cup to go one sunday, and couldn't find any place that was open that I could throw my money at, when I finally did, there wasn't any parking, and it was so packed inside, it would have taken too long to get my cuppa.

Hello All . . .

With all the development of new or modifying Heights homes

are there neighborhood distinctions ?

Is Woodland Heights Bungalow homes ? Sunset Heights are 2 story homes ?

Norhill brick homes ?

Just wondering if developers are following a certain trend or design ?

No. Seems like they're putting in the biggest multi-story house that can fit on the lot. Or as many townhomes as they can squeeze out. Check out some of the newer mansions in Woodland Heights off White Oak. One of them is on the house tour this year. They don't look too bad, in my opinion, but they certainly aren't bungalows by any stretch of the imagination. Some newer houses seem to have a "garden district" look to them that fits in well with the Heights. But no one is going to build a one story bungalow anymore. Not nearly enough room for the modern buyer.

I have noticed a trend in Woodland Heights towards massive bungalow expansion. It's not enough to remodel, the owners are adding on HUGE multistory additions. Usually these are in the back of the house, so the front yard and view from the street still looks all 'cute little bungalow' - then you notice the addition in the backyard that's 3 times the size of the original house. But it really does help keep the character of the street when it's done that way.