The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

Longtime reader, first time poster...

Allegro Builders is building a new house on Harvard. The frame looks to be completed. As the house is going up, more and more trash has accumulated in the front near the sidewalk and there is a port-o-potty located right on the sidewalk. Also, they block both sides of the street during the day, have loud music playing and the workers hang out on the property well into the evening. Of course, email and phone calls to the builder have gone unanswered and the problem persists. Prior to this experience I have heard mostly favorable things. They seem to have a lot of properties in different stages of development all over the heights. My question to the forum is two-fold:

1) have other people experienced this with this specific builder?

2) is there anything that we can do about it?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if workers are hanging out after hours, you can call the police non-emergency line and report, loitering or suspicious people hanging out, or if they are drinking you can report that too! You can make these non-emergency reports anonymously.

I have noticed a lot of these construction/builder workers in the Heights area like to drink after hours. They have a nasty habit of littering and drinking and driving. There seems to be little or no enforcement by the responsible construction company.

I witnessed all that stuff when my neighborhood was being built, my house being one of the first to go up. It's pretty normal, standard stuff. You just have to live with it until it's all over. I don't know about drinking and driving though. That's something that would bother me a little.

I have noticed a lot of these construction/builder workers in the Heights area like to drink after hours.

Clearly, you've never put in 8 hours on a jobsite. Few things in life taste better than a cold beer after working in the hot sun. After the crew finished pouring my driveway last month, I gave them a 12 pack as reward, too. I may be part of the problem, but they sure were appreciative. :D

Allegro has just finished four houses near mine and it was a constant mess. Never a dumpster to be seen. Most of thier debris would end up in the neighbors yards when the wind blew. The finsihed houses are great, but they are slow and really don't care about the existing neighbors when they are building.

My advice would be to not worry about it. The house will be finished soon enough. This really isn't worth getting worked up over. So the workers like to listen to Tejano on the radio while they work and drink a couple of beers at the end of the day....big deal.

I live a few streets over on 8th 1/2 and I noticed this week that the horrible apartments on 6th 1/2 have been vacated by the residents and now appear to be fully derelict. These apartments had mostly low income immigrants who had to tolerate some fairly horrible living conditions. When we drove by, homeless people and street people were beginning to filter into the complex, which is wide open. Most of the apartment doors are open, trash everywhere, things are being vandalized, etc.

It seems as though the buildings will be torn down, but does anyone know for sure what is happening? This was a location known for problems with drugs and drunkeness so if the apartments are gone for sure, then it will be a huge boost to our area. Maybe the cheap liquor stores will follow suit... :rolleyes:

As though they were forced to live there with no choice whatsoever...

That was an awfully snarky reply. I think the poster was alluding to the fact that most immigrants and low income residents don't always know their rights or have any idea how to assert them. Slum lords are able to stay in business for a reason.

I agree that the neighborhood would benefit from those apartments going away.

That was an awfully snarky reply. I think the poster was alluding to the fact that most immigrants and low income residents don't always know their rights or have any idea how to assert them. Slum lords are able to stay in business for a reason.

The corollary to that: if they're annoyed thoroughly enough (or perhaps if they just get a better deal), tenants will pick up and move out in the night, never to be seen again. They might even take an appliance or two to compensate for the lost security deposit...or just make the landlord clean up the mess that they'll leave.

There was an implicit message in the prose that I didn't care for. I made my opinion known.

On behalf of the entire readership of the forum, let me extend our heartfelt thanks for you leadership and thoughtful guidance. Without your insightful, yet poignant comments, this forum might actually exchange real information worth reading.

On behalf of the entire readership of the forum, let me extend our heartfelt thanks for you leadership and thoughtful guidance. Without your insightful, yet poignant comments, this forum might actually exchange real information worth reading.

You're very welcome. <_<

Get a grip. Most of everything stated on this forum is personal opinion. If this forum were meant as a news blog, I'd be with you all the way...but I simply stated what I thought about a subject. That's my perrogative. If you don't like what I've said, then you can either debate me or blow me off.

No sense in dragging it out.

I live a few streets over on 8th 1/2 and I noticed this week that the horrible apartments on 6th 1/2 have been vacated by the residents and now appear to be fully derelict. These apartments had mostly low income immigrants who had to tolerate some fairly horrible living conditions. When we drove by, homeless people and street people were beginning to filter into the complex, which is wide open. Most of the apartment doors are open, trash everywhere, things are being vandalized, etc.

It seems as though the buildings will be torn down, but does anyone know for sure what is happening? This was a location known for problems with drugs and drunkeness so if the apartments are gone for sure, then it will be a huge boost to our area. Maybe the cheap liquor stores will follow suit... :rolleyes:

aapchad,

Stop by Fitz's and ask what they know. I heard a rumor involving them...maybe parking? Interesting to see if anything comes of it.

B)

TheNiche Posted Friday, July 14th, 2006 @ 9:12am

The corollary to that: if they're annoyed thoroughly enough (or perhaps if they just get a better deal), tenants will pick up and move out in the night, never to be seen again. They might even take an appliance or two to compensate for the lost security deposit...or just make the landlord clean up the mess that they'll leave.

Yes, stealing appliances...now there's one of the more moronic solutions I've come across-but not surprised in this instance.

You're very welcome. <_<

Get a grip. Most of everything stated on this forum is personal opinion. If this forum were meant as a news blog, I'd be with you all the way...but I simply stated what I thought about a subject. That's my perrogative. If you don't like what I've said, then you can either debate me or blow me off.

No sense in dragging it out.

It seemed to me that the original poster just wanted to know if there was any information about the apartments. Has anyone heard anything further?

Did they get the approval to build on that land? I was at a little league game at the baseball fields on TC Jester that back up to that property with a friend and his kids, and overheard a few of the parents talking about that property who said that when they were building the original I-10, that land and the baseball field were the dump for the project where all the used building supplies were tossed. At the end of the project they bulldozed a layer of dirt over it. Due to that it has never been a viable location for homes to to soil compaction issues. Heights2Bastrop, you grew up in the area, have you heard this story?

HeightsGuy:

We had been told that the property had already been replatted but the president of our civic association just discoverd that Villas at White Oak,Ref. # 2006-1847, is on the Planning Commission agenda for July 20. I'm trying to get all the adjacent properties to send their concerns to the commission. The real story is that when the Corps of Engineers straightened out White Oak Bayou in the 60's and 70's, an oxbow was cut off from the channel. The owner at that time allowed a demolished office building to be dumped into the hole (some say the old SW Bell building). Others have said that other stuff was also dumped in there. The property has changed hands several times since I have been in the neighborhhod. One past owner of the property brought in fill dirt very soon after Tropical Storm Allison (before it was illegal to do so in a flood plain) and the drainage probelm in my yard has just gotten progressivley worse with the continued in-fill development in the area. We observed some core testing but we are not privy to the information. Someone also dug a big hole, we're guessing to see what was down there. I saw lots of building debris myself. We could only hope that the lot would be unbuildable but I know that money talks here in Houston and I'll most likely have 3-story buildings staring down into my yard.

Our neighborhood cannot imagine 21 houses on that site. Only one way in for a miminmum of an additional 42 cars! Being at the end of the line for many serivces we are all concerned about the increased rain run-off and the increased waste water issues. Not to metion that the city will not be able to collect garbage there either.

Mary, if I understand you, 1904 has been razed and now being rebuilt? How about the former 1905 lot? Last time I drove by there, there were stakes indicating 3 or 4 houses were being planned for on the original lot. Has any construction begun there?

I knew quite a few families on your block, but never really knew the ones at the circle. The only name I recall was the Krugers. As to the 1900 block, I could tell you quite a few stories about the folks there. There was even a woman who, when her husband died, married a guy younger than her own kids. She and her new husband had a kid, and the three of them were

Anyone else seen this property go up for sale?

http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...=0&backButton=Y

Eight lots (.56 AC) along 610 frontage road just past N. Main heading East on the south side of the freeway, being billed at high-end residential or commercial property. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of this and whether its more homes or some sort of business.

Anyone else seen this property go up for sale?

http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...=0&backButton=Y

Eight lots (.56 AC) along 610 frontage road just past N. Main heading East on the south side of the freeway, being billed at high-end residential or commercial property. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of this and whether its more homes or some sort of business.

right now it is just the lots for sale. no plans for development.

Of course I don't want my home flooded :) I just don't see a need for feeder roads 30' above grade going over the RR west of TC Jester.

I drive to work on I10 from TC Jester to downtown in rush hour both ways, and the only place it backs up in that entire drive is in the aternoon between Shepherd and TC Jester, and the only reason for that is the ongoing work on the 610-I10 interchange.

Does building feeder roads through that area "fix" anything?

I agree!

Do we even need feeder roads there at all??? much less 30' above grade.

And - especially if they are elevated - its not like they would be serving landowners or adjacent businesses (if there were any)

I think that stretch of I-10 is one of the nicest looking freeways we have and, as you said, the traffic seems to move through there pretty well. Leave it alone!

Do you WANT your home flooded? :)

I don't think this is such a big issue. Looking at the Preliminary FIRM map, it seems that few houses would benefit by the retention ponds (fewer than will be required to be demolished?). In my estimation, there are very few house that fall into the 100 or 500 year flood plain that are downstream from the area in question (until you get to around Taylor). Here's a link to the map:

http://maps.tsarp.org/website/tsarp_firm/P...48201C0670L.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

The properties on E 6 1/2 St (The Studemont Arms) have been bought by TRICON and thy plan tearing it down in the first half of August. Further, they plan building about 16 loft style homes on its location.

While this is not the best fitting development for the area I guess it is better then what's in place.

TRICON also own the 4 empty lots on the NE Corner of E 6 1/2 St. an OXFORD St.

Hi, first time poster, long time lurker.

I was looking at a house on the east side of Main St. on 25th yesterday. The house was great and many of the surrounding homes appeared to be well kept. However, I was concerned about being on the "wrong side" of Main St.

Can anyone share their knowledge of the area? I drove around and noticed a few clubs/bar nearby as well as several wharehouse/industrial sites. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

I was looking at a house on the east side of Main St. on 25th yesterday. The house was great and many of the surrounding homes appeared to be well kept. However, I was concerned about being on the "wrong side" of Main St.

Can anyone share their knowledge of the area? I drove around and noticed a few clubs/bar nearby as well as several wharehouse/industrial sites. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm assuming you mean E. 25th east of N. Main? I live on N. Main-the west side. What is your price range? Check out Aurora and 26th and 27th on both sides of N. Main. New construction ranges from 200k to over 500k. Re-dos are cheaper if you are looking to go that route.

Oh-I forgot-welcome to HAIF.

Thanks.

I have heard that as several concentrations of studios (esp. Summer Street and Commerce Street) have faced redevelopment pressures, many of the artists are relocating in and around this area.

Archived