The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the suggestion to look at Norhill.

And musicman makes an excellent point. No matter how "homogenous" a neighborhood may be in the loop, there are always some non desirable elements mixed in. Even Woodland Heights has a couple of tenement-style slum apartments, + the scary convenience store on Bayland.

If you're willing to wait for a while until the developers have had their way with the Heights and replaced all the old houses with McVictorians, I'm sure all the lesser elements will be driven out. Just make sure you're prepared to pay $800K for a starter home.

All replies are correct and this one is truly an honest one. As in most parts of the city we could live on a nice street go over 2 blocks and its Bosnia. I do love Heights dont live there but worked on 19th street for a good while where I was lucky to meet and know many of the long time locals.

The near Northside ie; N Main around Poppa Burger area is one to be reckoned with too bad its so close. That is the only short coming to deal with. Homeless galore. Enter via Pecore.

The near Northside ie; N Main around Poppa Burger area is one to be reckoned with too bad its so close. That is the only short coming to deal with. Homeless galore. Enter via Pecore.

Umm....I thought we were talking about the Heights? What does Poppa Burger have to do with the Heights?

Also, you may wish to check proposed residences for their zoned schools, although magnet schools and private schools are plentiful in the city of Houston.

Use: http://dept.houstonisd.org/ab/abcx_tool/search.asp - This will help you determine the zoned schools for the residences.

To check the quality of the schools, use http://www.greatschools.net to see how well the schools stack up. If you like the first impressions, you should schedule campus tours to get a feel of the assigned campuses.

What does Poppa Burger have to do with the Heights?

Nothing. But it has a great hamburger-but not as good as Someburger B) !

So sure Vertigo, if you are like many on HAIF you'll avoid the Heights because you might have an uneducated idea of the market. On the other hand, those that want to take the leap might want to make an offer on our 1918 bungalow on N. Main that we bought for $73,000 in 2000 and will take $218,000 (that's a bargain) if it were for sale-(but it's not). If you'd rather have a newer property, there are another two townhouses going up on E. 27th between Oxford and N. Main. From the scuttle I've heard, you can pick up one of them for the price of two of ours.

• 2 weeks later...

The difference between the Heights area and West U are schools. If you have kids and you want them to have a good education in the Heights you will have to send them to private school for high school, that's a given. Leaving out HS, you should try to get zoned to Travis Elementary if you have kids that age.

With West U you don't have to worry about schools, every school zoned to it is top notch. For elementary you will have either Roberts or West U, both amazing schools. You'll have Pershing middle school and Lamar HS both of which are very good.

Forgetting about schools I like the character of the Heights homes better. Houses tend to be bigger with larger lots here. West U is pricier and doesn't have many of the grand older houses that the Heights has every corner.

Also both areas are Flood prone, you should know that going in. Any hard rain will flood the streets making it an adventure driving home, you will get used to it! So whichever area you choose, be sure to ask if the house was flooded during hurricane Allison. If it was your home insurance will be high.

Not advocating you look over here, but I'd just like to give you a description of our area for what it is worth.

We moved over here, west of Heights, four years ago...started building five years ago...it was a long process. Anyhow, we have watched our little hundred block change over that time.

On our block, there are now a majority of families in their 30s-40s. The other houses include people who have been here for the long haul, one older couple who built their dream home, and one lesbian couple who recently built. There are two new babies on the way, one just born, and one turning two. The divorcees's children come and go depending on the week.

So, life west of Heights changes quickly. Five years is a short time to go from rentals to families (all kinds of families -- something we like).

We have our problem people, too. The businesses don't bother us. Overall, life over here is fine.

Edited by lilyheights

I didn't see anyone mention Timbergrove Manor. It's adjacent to the Heights, and quite a hot neighborhood. It has all the modern conveniences, like sidewalks and drainage culverts, not open ditches like parts of the Heights. It is more "homogeneous" than the Heights, with predominantly 50's-60's ranch-style homes. Though the mega-mansions have recently broken up this homogeneity. A downside is a proclivity to flood in certain portions of the nbhd. Make sure to check the flood plains.

Uhhmmm (clears throat, a little embarassed) -

Thanks again for all your input. Believe it or not, it was very helpful in a housing search that lasted over 4 months. I am delighted (but, as indicated, a little embarassed) to say we found a SMALL bungalow in West U. It is a great location with regards to parks and amenities, and the schools definitely weighed in on the final decision too.

However, as our family grows and we start to learn about Houston and its charms, the Heights will always be a place to consider for the next house! And, in the meantime, we will be frequent guests for shopping/fun/entertainment and dining.

Thanks again for all the thoughtful responses, and our best to you all. Now ... flame away :unsure:

Thanks again for all your input. Believe it or not, it was very helpful in a housing search that lasted over 4 months. I am delighted (but, as indicated, a little embarassed) to say we found a SMALL bungalow in West U. It is a great location with regards to parks and amenities, and the schools definitely weighed in on the final decision too.

Congratulations and welcome to Houston!

Is your new bungalow in good shape, or is it a "tear down"?

West U is nice. We live across Kirby from West U, in the Southgate neighborhood. Whenever I go for a walk in West U, I'm envious of the good streets and sidewalks. It's frustrating to pay all that property tax, but get crappy City of Houston services. You probably get a 5-minute response time on police/fire calls in West U, versus 3 hours in Houston!

Uhhmmm (clears throat, a little embarassed) -

Thanks again for all your input. Believe it or not, it was very helpful in a housing search that lasted over 4 months. I am delighted (but, as indicated, a little embarassed) to say we found a SMALL bungalow in West U.

No reason to be embarassed. It's tough to move to a new town, and you chose a great area to get started in. Good luck, and keep us informed. Post pics if you can.

Just bought a house (close on the 18th) at 12th and Yale (southwest corner)... Next door is an eyesore and huge home/pile of materials. Anyone have any idea what this large red "thing" is? I was down the ally the other day and got eyeballed by a short guy who eventually went into the property. You can't see much because of the 12ft high sheet metal wall. Someone has to know something about this???

Thanks,

D

This is one street over from my house. 941 Oxford is the second lot from the corner of Oxford and East 10th, on the west side of the street. It is next door to the former LDS church that was converted (badly) to loft space.

Pretty hectic when it happened. I was working at the computer, when all of the HFD sirens started going. When the sirens get loudest...then stop...you get that funny feeling, knowing that something is going on nearby. I thought it was a fire, but smelled and saw no smoke. When I heard the news choppers overhead, I knew it was serious, so I walked over to Oxford and saw the commotion. You could see the house clearly off kilter.

From what I could see from the newscast, I believe it's the bungalow immediately south of the former Mormon church that has been converted (so to speak) to a residence.

That is correct. In fact, the photo on Channel 2's website, showing HFD strapping the man to a gurney, is actually in the front yard of the converted church.

It was inches. 13 missed it by a mile...well, 14 feet 8 inches, anyway.

The "News" also said they were tearing down the house.. This right? Why would someone be crawling around under a house if it is to be demolished?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

There is a sign up on the lot behind Someburger (many of you probably remember the rumors that Tillman bought that lot. those rumors actually lead me to this wonderful website!) with a rendering of a pretty standard looking, 2 story strip center. It says something about "patio and drive through space available."

Any one know anything more? :)