The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Constable's offices are efficient for improving the public safety of the people. You do know that under the Texas constitution, if this is being implemented by Harris County, you will have the ability to elect your constable. So if you disaprove of their actions, they are under an enforced system of checks and balances.

My fear is, is The Heights really the neighborhood that needs this, or do other neighborhoods need it more? Are we following the crime rate or are we following the money here?

No statements or statistics that Heights crime has increased....either substantially, or at all.

At least you actually stated a number. How many robberies occurred on this street last year?

More anecdotal evidence, plus a graph of LAST year's statistics....no comparison with this year. So HPD logged 10,000 calls. What is a normal month? 1,000? 100,000? Using those 2 numbers, calls are either up 10 times a normal month, or they dropped 90%. I do know that overall crime in Houston was down 2% last year. What I do not know is whether the Heights is up, down or the same as previous years. I also know that you did not provide anything that will give me my answer. The only thing I DO KNOW is that LAST year there were 5 murders in an area generically called "Greater Heights", and this year there have been 3....2 if you do not count store clerks shooting shoplifters as a murder. So, does that mean crime is down 60%?

Here's the point, to musicman, Vertigo, and every other poster who uses Channel 2 News as their crime statistics. One crime televised by a breathless bimbo on a crappy news show fighting for ratings does not a crime spree make. Neither does having a friend who heard about a burglary a couple of blocks over. Crime is a fact of life in inner cities, suburbs, and across the country. It is a fact of life in the Heights, as well. But, make outrageous claims that you have no evidence to support is as ludicrous as me claiming that no crime exists, just because my house has never been burglarized.

If you guys want to smack talk your own neighborhood, have at it. But, if you are going to smack talk mine, at least base it on something a little more reliable than Channel 2 News or a lame anecdote.

Note to Heights residents: If you have something a little more solid than the schoolgirl gossip displayed above, please PM me.

Want some statistics. I live in Proctor Plaza. Since July 18th, I have personally had three separate incidents. July 18th somebody shot a pellet through my living room window. August 6th somebody stoled several items out of my car. Last Friday, thanks to some really good neighbors, the Police apprehended two men breaking into my house. This happened about the same time as the incident on North Main that ended with Hogg Middle School and Travis Elementary going on lock down. I found out that there had been several break ins on my street in the pass few weeks. I have lived here for 17 years and have never experience anything like what has been going on around here lately.

No statements or statistics that Heights crime has increased....either substantially, or at all.

At least you actually stated a number. How many robberies occurred on this street last year?

More anecdotal evidence, plus a graph of LAST year's statistics....no comparison with this year. So HPD logged 10,000 calls. What is a normal month? 1,000? 100,000? Using those 2 numbers, calls are either up 10 times a normal month, or they dropped 90%. I do know that overall crime in Houston was down 2% last year. What I do not know is whether the Heights is up, down or the same as previous years. I also know that you did not provide anything that will give me my answer. The only thing I DO KNOW is that LAST year there were 5 murders in an area generically called "Greater Heights", and this year there have been 3....2 if you do not count store clerks shooting shoplifters as a murder. So, does that mean crime is down 60%?

Here's the point, to musicman, Vertigo, and every other poster who uses Channel 2 News as their crime statistics. One crime televised by a breathless bimbo on a crappy news show fighting for ratings does not a crime spree make. Neither does having a friend who heard about a burglary a couple of blocks over. Crime is a fact of life in inner cities, suburbs, and across the country. It is a fact of life in the Heights, as well. But, make outrageous claims that you have no evidence to support is as ludicrous as me claiming that no crime exists, just because my house has never been burglarized.

If you guys want to smack talk your own neighborhood, have at it. But, if you are going to smack talk mine, at least base it on something a little more reliable than Channel 2 News or a lame anecdote.

Note to Heights residents: If you have something a little more solid than the schoolgirl gossip displayed above, please PM me.

Check out the HPD website's statistics. Within ONE block of my house there have been 7 cars broken into in a 6 week period. I don't watch channel 2. Just the facts.

I think that Constable's offices are efficient for improving the public safety of the people. You do know that under the Texas constitution, if this is being implemented by Harris County, you will have the ability to elect your constable. So if you disaprove of their actions, they are under an enforced system of checks and balances.

My fear is, is The Heights really the neighborhood that needs this, or do other neighborhoods need it more? Are we following the crime rate or are we following the money here?

Um, if people are paying for the patrols, then it is following the money? I don't know if you read where the constables are costing 255 a year? So, it isn't a matter of placing them where you want.

**As for the stats, I don't know. I've had some good response times from the police.

** I still think that the overall police presence could use some help. It is anecdotal, but I understand there is a police shortage. There are billboards recruiting cops to Dallas PD in downtown Houston. Makes me think the hiring shortage will be hard to address quickly, so if the Heights can get their own patrols started it seems like a good idea.

Good Afternoon All,

Is the city of Houston with development downtown, inner city living , good job market, housing market , possibly

heading into a criteria of a major busy city along with its challenges as in LA , Chicago, NY etc . . .

in the 80s crime was something our leadership heard repeatedly and addressed. as crime numbers declined, less emphasis was placed on this. unfortunately, as our force shrunk (and city grew), our crime numbers have increased to where our leadership is hearing it again.

I've lived in the Heights area for approx. 8 yrs. and I've noticed a slight increase in crime since the Bar Scene set in. But crime overall in Houston has increased. We don't have half the problems the "BURBS" do. I've also heard that HPD is putting a Tac/Hotspot/Gang Unit together to enforce ZERO TOLERANCE in trouble area's. I'm not a big fan of Contract Patrol (Constables) why should I be DOULBE TAXED for police protection? Maybe the supervisors with HPD should be held accountable for the productivity of their current officer's on the street. Maybe a more PROACTIVE approach to patrol? How many times have you seen pro active patrol (traffic stops,DWI enforcement,TABC bar checks,susp.persons/vehicle stops etc...) in the area ? I can count on one hand how many times I've seen a traffic stops being made in the area. Walk like DUCK ,act like a DUCK ---- GUESS WHAT??? IT's A DUCK!

I would be surprised if the "Bar Scene" is the source of any increased criminal activity. Granted, there could certainly be more DUI activity, but the postings above address burglary and vandalism. Not sure if the bad actors would be hatching their plans over a Stella Artois and turkey sandwich at Onion Creek.

I would not know whether crime has increased in the area. However, the constable service amounts to a little over $20 a month. Whether you are in Tanglewood, River Oaks, West U, or similar neighborhood, there is typically an additional security force. In other words, this is common, and it is nothing new. I'm all for as much security as is reasonably priced.

I think you've miss took my "BAR SCENE" comment. These are target rich area's for thieves/thugs. Due to parking problems in the area there's no real security outside those businesses. Plus there's easy access to major freeways for thier getaways. I agree that many of the Patron's to these businesses are in good standing within the community. I just like to see more aggressive / active patrol for these area's. Just ask those business owner's how many Burglary of Motor Vehicle's occur during the week. I'd like to see a more active patrol for daytime hours (While the Cats away the Mice will play), daytime is the primetime for home burglary's. I think it takes citizens reporting susp.activity and rapid response by the police. I'd like to see some of the downtown bike patrol unit's pulled and put into the Heights Area.

With the number of bars and restaurants between 2600 and 3500 blocks of White Oak, you might expect to see an increase in various crimes, but HPD crime logs do not seem to bear that out. They report between 1 and 3 crimes per MONTH in that area, extremely low for the traffic it generates. And, some of those crimes are during the day when there is little traffic.

Anybody remeber how dangerous it was near Fitz' in the early 90s? Same deal behind #s'.

Things are better now. Even King Bisquit was and adventure during the day.

The Bisquit was an adventure as recently as 10 years ago.

Short memories on this board. Check out the downtown thread. Guess none of these babes ever looked over their shoulder while heading to Power Tools. I can guarantee none of them ever went to night classes at South Texas College of Law, went to Rockefellers or cruised W. Dallas during the 80s.

Edited by RedScare

since we appear to have drifted slightly, does Red or anyone remember what the place was called before it was King Bisquit? This would have been late 80s, early 90s. Used to date a Woodland Heights guy and we pretty much lived at that bar. And the Reddi Room. Loved the Reddi Room.

it was king bisquit originally then went to toocans and then back to king bisquit

since we appear to have drifted slightly, does Red or anyone remember what the place was called before it was King Bisquit? This would have been late 80s, early 90s. Used to date a Woodland Heights guy and we pretty much lived at that bar. And the Reddi Room. Loved the Reddi Room.

Hopefully Coog will log back on and refresh your memory. I left town from '87 to '96, so I missed those years. It was already the Bisquit when I got back.

Oops, just saw that music answered.

I only knew it as King Bisquit! Loved that place. And the Reddi Room rocked! Another sketchy place at 2am.

And oh yes, Power Tools! We were there every Friday in the last 80s. We always parked near Tranquility Park and it was an adventure at 2:00am.

That was back when HPD cops were shooting people.

I actually felt safer when the cops were trigger happy!

Always been curious about that office building just West of the Kroger on 20th. It looks "art deco", sort of a blue and white color scheme. I notice it's been for sale (or lease?) for awhile and was wondering if it's indeed old, based on the art deco, or maybe just made to "look" old.

Anyone know the history?

Always been curious about that office building just West of the Kroger on 20th. It looks "art deco", sort of a blue and white color scheme. I notice it's been for sale (or lease?) for awhile and was wondering if it's indeed old, based on the art deco, or maybe just made to "look" old.

Anyone know the history?

The exterior skin was just added to the building a few months ago.

Has anyone noticed all the used car lots along Shepherd/Durham that have closed over the past number of months? Do you think it's just a cycle or is there a real demographic shift going on? It seems to be more prevalent the farther south you go from the loop.
The business section of today's Chronicle says that 3205 and 3209 Shepherd have sold. A total of approximately 39,000 sq. ft.
The business section of today's Chronicle says that 3205 and 3209 Shepherd have sold. A total of approximately 39,000 sq. ft.
Those address numbers are North Shepherd.