The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although I realize that crime exists everywhere, does anyone know whether it is bad east of Main in this area? Given its proximity to downtown, seems like it could be a good investment to buy in this area.

Main stops at UHD. Did you mean N. Main? If you mean the vicinity of E. 25th, my experience is there is no more crime-maybe less-than anywhere else in Houston.

I'm assuming you mean E. 25th east of N. Main? I live on N. Main-the west side. What is your price range? Check out Aurora and 26th and 27th on both sides of N. Main. New construction ranges from 200k to over 500k. Re-dos are cheaper if you are looking to go that route.

Oh-I forgot-welcome to HAIF.

Yes, I do mean East 25th and North Main Street. I looked a few houses in that vicinity that were very nicely re-done. I was really impressed with the workmanship, but not so impressed with the proximity to several beer joints, warehouse sites, etc. I just am curious about the general safety of the area and if the area seems to be experiencing re-growth similar to other parts of the Heights further to the west.

Globestreet article on sale of land which will attract developers

hou_studemontstreetland.jpg

Developers Already Circling Infill Listing

By Amy Wolff Sorter

HOUSTON-A local investment fund is selling one of the largest land blocks in some time to come to market inside the loop. The 8.6-acre tract, assessed at $15 million, now holds warehouses with tenants on short-term leases and long-term promise of a creative redevelopment.

"This is in a corridor that's been industrial forever and has just been filling in over the past few years with townhomes," says Jeff Lindenberger with McDade, Smith, Gould, Johnston, Mason & Co. in Houston. The infill tract takes up the corner of Studemont Street and Interstate 10.

Lindenberger says the acreage could support up to 400 units of high-density residential and about 50,000 sf of retail. And, he adds, the seller already has fielded inquiries from retail and multifamily developers.

Other experts tell GlobeSt.com that the land play is worth watching because the Washington Avenue and Heights submarkets are undergoing a significant complexion change. In the neighboring Heights, many historic homes are being renovated plus there has been a steady increase in the number of high-density residential developments. One of the newest openings is a Target store, the anchor to Property Commerce's 24-acre Sawyer Heights Village.

http://www.globest.com/news/660_660/houston/147930-1.html

Looks like the Anti-Ramp Group has won with TxDOT.

As an aside, the ponds that are being planned are detention and not retention ponds. I analyze/design major drainage projects for a living and there is a pretty big difference.

We have a huge retention pond in Alief at Bellaire and Beltway 8, and I can't see why Houstonians would not want one within their district. Yea, it's better to have the roadways flood before homes, but if that water runs off someplace that could almost never flood over, neither would be in trouble, right?

Also, does the Heights have any area within it that could fit a retention/detention pond the size of the Bellaire site?

"This is in a corridor that's been industrial forever and has just been filling in over the past few years with townhomes,"

See, there are good things about our lack of zoning.

Where else would people build townhomes in an industrial area?

Only Houston!

Uh, lack of zoning has nothing to do with the ability to put up housing in a one-time industrial zone.

What zoning and historical building regulations might do however is make the developers do adaptive reuse for the housing. Something along the lines of keeping some/all of the buildings and adding on to them.

What lack of zoning allows for is some developer to come in, bulldoze the site, gate it, put in a 10' x 10" retention pond and call it The Lakes at Washington Heights or something like that.

I believe you are referring to the ponds in Arthur Storey Park. Those are not retention ponds, but are off-line detention/floodplain storage ponds designed to "cut off" the top of very large flood hydrographs.

The Heights does not have the land available near White Oak to build such a facility unless homes are taken. In addition, riverine flooding is not as big a concern in the Heights due to the natural topography compared to Brays Bayou which is where the facility you mentioned is located.

We have a huge retention pond in Alief at Bellaire and Beltway 8, and I can't see why Houstonians would not want one within their district. Yea, it's better to have the roadways flood before homes, but if that water runs off someplace that could almost never flood over, neither would be in trouble, right?

Also, does the Heights have any area within it that could fit a retention/detention pond the size of the Bellaire site?

Seems that nature is making its own retention pond at the Beltway and Wilcrest Feeder road area. They keep trying to fill the hole, the hole keeps filling with water.

That area was a big flood problem during the old I-10 days..........

I live just a few streets over from where you mentioned on the east side of N. Main. Overall, my wife and I feel safe, although we did have a latter and a weed whacker grow legs several weeks ago. However, that was probably due to several factors: 1) We were out of town for almost two weeks 2) There are several brand new homes being constructed behind me and I wonder if any of the workers decided they needed a parting gift (or someone who was driving by looking for stuff at construction sites noticed my house was quiet) and 3) My shed didn't really have a lock on it. It had a latch that shuts from the inside but a good tug and it opened right up.

I've now put a new padlock and hinge that should hopefully deter any unwanted visitors. I also previously had a low chain-link fence with a gate that had no lock that backed up to the alley. I just finished a new privacy fence that will also add some security.

All in all, I really like living where I do (the area is actually called Sunset Heights but you may already know that). The location is great (especially for the price, IMO). My neighbors on all sides are nice folks and pretty attentive. I don't really think I would worry about crime in the area. Everyone I've spoken with about this has said they've never had anything that has really worried them occur in the area that they know of. Lastly, from an investment perspective, I think this is a great area to be in. Anyway, I hope this helps assuage some of your concerns. Let me know if I can be of any more help

Yes, I do mean East 25th and North Main Street. I looked a few houses in that vicinity that were very nicely re-done. I was really impressed with the workmanship, but not so impressed with the proximity to several beer joints, warehouse sites, etc. I just am curious about the general safety of the area and if the area seems to be experiencing re-growth similar to other parts of the Heights further to the west.

I highly recommend the area. Like TexasCE, our garage was robbed once-no lock and locked now. Since we have installed an 8' fence on 2 sides and an electric gate on our drive. We like 90% of our neighbors [the alley neighbors are a problem] and have really experienced no crime except for what I posted above. It's a growing neighborhood-I can feel the 300K townhouses creeping up behind us. If you're really interested, it may be the time to take the plunge.

I highly recommend the area. Like TexasCE, our garage was robbed once-no lock and locked now. Since we have installed an 8' fence on 2 sides and an electric gate on our drive. We like 90% of our neighbors [the alley neighbors are a problem] and have really experienced no crime except for what I posted above. It's a growing neighborhood-I can feel the 300K townhouses creeping up behind us. If you're really interested, it may be the time to take the plunge.

Thanks to you guys for the responses. I actually just had my offer accepted on a home over in the Heights closer to Shepherd. I do agree with you that there is plenty of new or re-development going on in the vicinity.

• 2 weeks later...

I attended a neighborhood meeting a few weeks ago and I recall hearing that a couple planned to turn the old store into a professional Art Services business. I think I remember hearing "by appointment only" for hours of operation.

I am extremely glad they are willing to invest in that dilapidated site and add a cultural business to that end of Studewood Best of luck and hopefully more to follow!

Guest Malvoe

Sweet. I only live a few blocks from there, and that place is an eysore. What exactly would "professional Art Services" entail?

Hopefully now that the studewood construction is nearing completion (maybe) we will see some more improvements along the street.

Hopefully now that the studewood construction is nearing completion (maybe) we will see some more improvements along the street.

I think we're going to see this happen. The Wolfe dry cleaner gave their old building a nice, fresh coat of paint and cleaned the junk from the parking area up. It looks much better. I think it's a sign of things to come...

Any thoughts regarding making the heights a historical district?

At yesterday's meeting of the Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission -- the group that advises city council -- a whopping 54 addresses in the Heights were asking that the city start landmark designation for the National Register of Historic Places.

Any thoughts regarding making the heights a historical district?

The neighborhood I live in is already designated. My understanding (which could very easily be very wrong) is that they were able to get the designation b/c most of the neighborhood is intact. With all the new construction in certain areas, I wonder if the whole area could receive the designation. Some parts of the Heights are way more new than old (esp west of the blvd).

I would love to see it. I just wonder how feasible it is :mellow:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all;

Have a friend who is considering a townhome that is being built on West 17th Street, just off of Durham. He's moving in from the suburbs and thinks it's a really great deal, but I'm just not sure about the area around there, if it's a good long term investment. There are 2 townhomes already there, but that's it, nothing else and the area looks questionable for future increases in value. He's spending over $200k (I think it's around $230ish).

Anyone have any advice about this area? Thanks!

Hey all;

Have a friend who is considering a townhome that is being built on West 17th Street, just off of Durham. He's moving in from the suburbs and thinks it's a really great deal, but I'm just not sure about the area around there, if it's a good long term investment. There are 2 townhomes already there, but that's it, nothing else and the area looks questionable for future increases in value. He's spending over $200k (I think it's around $230ish).

Anyone have any advice about this area? Thanks!

In my opininon, it depends on his time frame. There is only so much room inside the loop, and that seems like an area that is on the cusp. This entire area will continue to develop a rejuvinate. That's one area that could be a pretty good investment. It will turn, just going to take a while.

In my opininon, it depends on his time frame. There is only so much room inside the loop, and that seems like an area that is on the cusp. This entire area will continue to develop a rejuvinate. That's one area that could be a pretty good investment. It will turn, just going to take a while.

I agree. It won't be quick, but it will happen. Depends on how patient your friend is...

• 2 weeks later...

I am a local developer with contracts on 3 lots, for a total of 52,650sf, all on 14th St, and possibly an additional 22,000sf along Turkey Gully. We are in the due diligence process reviewing restrictions, and are looking for the best layout for our tracts. As this pocket of the Heights area is most definitely the most desirable, and downright inviting, I want to build within the existing look and feel of the immediate area.

My purpose in this post is to get everyones ideas and feelings on our projects in order to keep the neighborhood the way it is. Yes, I am a developer and my job requires maximizing use of land, but there are ways to go about that without destroying the street, and hopefully pleasing everyone around us.

I have yet to obtain a copy of the deed restrictions, but am fairly sure I am not going to be able to place our typical courtyard style project within these boundaries. If so, I personally do not think it flows with the rest of the street. K Hovnanian is a national builder that recently purchased Brighton Homes & Parkside Homes for an obscene amount of cash. They aren't worried about the neighbors, or the whole area for that matter. Turntime & margins are their only concern.

I plan on designing a Hill Country style traditional 3 story (sorry y'all) 1900-2100sf finished in stucco, TX stone, and some hardie wrapped around the back.

Please voice your concerns or ideas, as they are all appreciated.

I can be reached directly at jordan@smithterra.com

I can be reached directly at jordan@smithterra.com

Your neighbors in the Heights can be your best cheerleaders or your worst enemies. Try as hard as you can to keep as many trees as possible. A good planner/designer can help you out with that while enabling you to turn a decent profit at the same time. The live oak you cut down to make it easier for you in the short-run can make you a pariah in the long run.

If you can achieve the above, you will be a hero in the Heights and never lack for clients.

I applaud your efforts.

As a former resident of this area, I have an interest in following the progress of construction there. However, since I no longer reside there, or even in Houston, I have no

Archived