Sawyer Heights Village Developments

flatline

• 2 weeks later...
Dammit! Who is in charge of making shopping centers suck so much? They are really good at it.

The people who are tasked with maximizing their investors' returns. You do not build a project of that magnitude without knowing exactly what the demographic for the property will be. Need proof? There will be a check cashing store at Sawyer Heights also.

Edited by cwrm4

Retail is always specifically targeted to the surrounding demographics - lower end retail is usually not profitable in a high income area, due to the high rent. Likewise high end retail cannot be profitable in a lower income area, due to the limited spending power of the surrounding residents. As the demographics of this area change, the retail will also change. As fast as the Heights is gentrifying, I imagine this center will see some tenant turnover in the next few years.

Woah! This totally sucks. How did you find this out? Is Freebird's still in?

Phew. I'm answering my own question. Looks like Freebirds is still in, but I'm totally disappointed at the lameness of this plan. Subway... Matress Firm... Radio Shack... Payless Shoes... Cash Store... Dickey's. Are you kidding me? This is discouraging my trips to Target.

Does anyone know if there are plans available for the Orr development on Heights? (discussed on another forum maybe?)

Looks like Pot Belly's out, Arby's in.

Yuck.

Yuck? Yay! Potbelly's is good, but I like Arby's, too - sometimes for the classic (albeit over-cooked, and over-processed) roast beef, sometimes for the market fresh sandwiches like the pecan chicken. Although, I could also make a meal out of curly fries and a jamocha shake. Carbs! Damn, I'm hungry now.

it begs the eternal question: who the heck is buying all these mattresses?

now, be thoughtful with your responses, people. one time on this forum someone suggested that we have so many mattress stores b/c "illegals" don't bring mattresses with them. that is ridiculous just b/c it is, but also, i hardly doubt a bunch of recent immigrants are buying up Temperpedics.

it begs the eternal question: who the heck is buying all these mattresses?

now, be thoughtful with your responses, people. one time on this forum someone suggested that we have so many mattress stores b/c "illegals" don't bring mattresses with them. that is ridiculous just b/c it is, but also, i hardly doubt a bunch of recent immigrants are buying up Temperpedics.

My theory -- matresses are expensive to ship and need to be tried out by customers. I do not know if this is actually the case, but I would guess that mattresses are seldom ordered by mail or on the internet. Still, there are way too many mattress retail stores.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like they have cleared more land to start additional construction between Target and Panda Express.

I noticed these additional stores... not sure if they have been mentioned yet... Cash Store (yuk) and a KFC/Taco Bell combo place.

Edited by HtownWxBoy

Looks like they have cleared more land to start additional construction between Target and Panda Express.

I noticed these additional stores... not sure if they have been mentioned yet... Cash Store (yuk) and a KFC/Taco Bell combo place.

Vitamin Shoppe is new too. Looks like the Arbys (previously at the new KFC/TB location) moved to a shared building.

It just keeps getting grosser!

and yet, we just refuse to get over our love affair with strip malls and shopping centers.

How many threads on this forum are about a new store/restaurant in the new shopping/lifestyle center/centre in____________ (subdivision/road)?

Ick. Just, ick. Long ago I vowed never to live in the burbs, thinking I could escape the parking lot landscape, and now I can't hardly escape it in the inner city.

And Panda Express just adds insult to injury. That is some truly gross stuff. Nothing says "big city living" like a $1300 a month 'loft' apartment in the middle of a parking lot next to an Arby's and a mattress store.

Edited by crunchtastic

And Panda Express just adds insult to injury. That is some truly gross stuff. Nothing says "big city living" like a $1300 a month 'loft' apartment in the middle of a parking lot next to an Arby's and a mattress store.

it's the chili's that makes it unique. :blink:

and yet, we just refuse to get over our love affair with strip malls and shopping centers.

How many threads on this forum are about a new store/restaurant in the new shopping/lifestyle center/centre in____________ (subdivision/road)?

I don't get excited by Target, Arby's or Panda Express, but some of my favorite restaurants and stores are in strip centers. Today I had some really good mexican food at "Taqueria 100% Michoacana" in a little strip center on W. Airport. The amazing "Himalaya" is in a strip center. There's a store that sells imported Russian products in a strip center near my house.

The strip center is a fact of life. It makes economic sense to share walls and parking.