Sawyer Heights Village Developments

flatline

I wished they had built a Target SuperCenter instead. Last evening, I noticed a tagger has been defacing the area (entrance sign for Target/Wachovia). The store also has an active police presence scanning the parking lot area (witnessed the officer using binoculars). Did something happen recently?

I was there one night last week, and parked in a handicap spot was a Buick LeSabre with spinnin' rims, disgorging lots of blown-out bass sound, with two young urbanites sitting in the car passing a joint back and forth (you could smell it). Even I sped up a little walking past them. Imagine how a cute young white girl from some Gables complex would have reacted. I suspect those characters (and similar I've seen there) and part of the reason for the increased presence of Houston's finest.

And to think all the Heights yuppies once thought Sawyer Heights was going to be Highland Village, Part Deux.

I was there one night last week, and parked in a handicap spot was a Buick LeSabre with spinnin' rims, disgorging lots of blown-out bass sound, with two young urbanites sitting in the car passing a joint back and forth (you could smell it). Even I sped up a little walking past them. Imagine how a cute young white girl from some Gables complex would have reacted. I suspect those characters (and similar I've seen there) and part of the reason for the increased presence of Houston's finest.

And to think all the Heights yuppies once thought Sawyer Heights was going to be Highland Village, Part Deux.

That area is still full of low income folks, like nearby 1st Ward, and the Target is probably a magnet for those with little to do. Graffiti and bandit signs are everywhere around there, even north of the freeway. I'm amazed at the grafitti in the general Rice Military area, despite heavy gentrification.

Actually, I think we thought it was going to be more like Meyerland. :rolleyes:

That area is still full of low income folks, like nearby 1st Ward, and the Target is probably a magnet for those with little to do. Graffiti and bandit signs are everywhere around there, even north of the freeway. I'm amazed at the grafitti in the general Rice Military area, despite heavy gentrification.

The problem of Grafitti is getting very active around the New Target and near Washington around 1st Ward and going near Washington. However, it is all over the North Side and has been a real problem in the Heights. If you drive all around Houston, you will see much more. Here is a suggestion, don't just look at it, report it immediately to 311 in hopes that it will be covered up quickly. Unfortunately, it doesn't get covered up quick enough and the "Taggers" or "Writers" as some of them call themselves love to have their stuff up over long periods of time. They actually compete as to whose stays up the longest and that is their way of "getting their name out"; this is a huge thrill for them and their claim to fame in the "Grafitti" world. I learned some of this from the Houston Grafitti website. They have a pretty big website, with moderators and all. They are quite active in their forum and love to trash the City & Police every chance they get. They gloat immensely on their success to "Paint" the city. I consider myself very proactive and try to report it when I see it, but I actually got fed up one day, bought some spray cans and painted over "Yoda's" stuff- he's from a new crew, they go by the name of TV or TVC; their symbol is a picture of a "TV". By, the way many of these kids/Juvies go to Reagan High or other neighboring schools and already have a "Juvie" record, but keep doing it because their punishments or consequences are not stiff enough. Their parents should get fined also. Other characters are "Munick", "Gems", and some others I can't read. They consider themselves artists. Not sure if we can ever beat the "Tagger", but maybe we can arm ourselves with some paint and spray cans and "White Wash" them out. Oh, and to the person who smelled the "Pot" smokers at Target- You Should just gone of to the Security Car/Police Car in the parking lot and reported it. No need to make a scene or get all scared......... JUST BE PROACTIVE!!!!!!!!!

By the way, "Tagging" is not done by low-income kids only. Many Middle-Class kids are doing it also, especially in the burbs.

• 1 month later...

I don't think the issue is really living next to "traffic". Living on Pecore is one thing, but living next to Interstate 10 is another, where over 200,000 vehicles a day drive by. For some reading about the effects of living close to a freeway:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/airtoxic/casesty6.htm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/healt...la-news-science

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_44451.html

http://www.familiesagainstcancer.org/?id=251

http://voiceofsandiego.org/articles/2007/0...ealth022007.txt

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet... I noticed on the Property Commerce website that they have added a Chili's and a Radio Shack to the development map.

As much as I hate, hate, hate the thought of a Chili's, it will at least be somewhere the hubby and I can bring our 1 month old when we just HAVE to get out of the house. :wacko:

The problem of Grafitti is getting very active around the New Target and near Washington around 1st Ward and going near Washington. However, it is all over the North Side and has been a real problem in the Heights. If you drive all around Houston, you will see much more. Here is a suggestion, don't just look at it, report it immediately to 311 in hopes that it will be covered up quickly. Unfortunately, it doesn't get covered up quick enough and the "Taggers" or "Writers" as some of them call themselves love to have their stuff up over long periods of time. They actually compete as to whose stays up the longest and that is their way of "getting their name out"; this is a huge thrill for them and their claim to fame in the "Grafitti" world. I learned some of this from the Houston Grafitti website. They have a pretty big website, with moderators and all. They are quite active in their forum and love to trash the City & Police every chance they get. They gloat immensely on their success to "Paint" the city. I consider myself very proactive and try to report it when I see it, but I actually got fed up one day, bought some spray cans and painted over "Yoda's" stuff- he's from a new crew, they go by the name of TV or TVC; their symbol is a picture of a "TV". By, the way many of these kids/Juvies go to Reagan High or other neighboring schools and already have a "Juvie" record, but keep doing it because their punishments or consequences are not stiff enough. Their parents should get fined also. Other characters are "Munick", "Gems", and some others I can't read. They consider themselves artists. Not sure if we can ever beat the "Tagger", but maybe we can arm ourselves with some paint and spray cans and "White Wash" them out. Oh, and to the person who smelled the "Pot" smokers at Target- You Should just gone of to the Security Car/Police Car in the parking lot and reported it. No need to make a scene or get all scared......... JUST BE PROACTIVE!!!!!!!!!

By the way, "Tagging" is not done by low-income kids only. Many Middle-Class kids are doing it also, especially in the burbs.

My wife and I have been calling 311 as soon as we see the grafitti in the area. The 311 operator also told me that if you see a lot with high grass you can call and report that as well. I think if everyone called to report the grafitti we can get this cleaned up.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a couple of days there where a temporary American Mattress sign was up next to the Payless, but now its down again. So I'm guessing they'll populate next. I imagine the Chilis will start once they MFein project makes some serious headway. The new I-10 access road is scheduled for 2008 and I think its safe to say the Rails-to-Trails wont be done until then as well, so I expect a rather slow remainder of the year.

It's hard to believe that in July, it will have been open a year, and all we have so far is a Payless and maybe a Mattress place by then. Amazing how different the original description was to the neighborhoods vs what has come about.

I work in the suburbs and I've seen three Target's built in the surrounding areas, new shopping centers at the same time, and I've never seen them go almost a year with nothing else developed around them in all that time. In fact, most are built with a huge center around them already constructed and waiting to be filled with tenants as Target starts drawing people in. I wonder if retailers and businesses are just leery of the area right now? Target seems busy enough, as far as pulling in traffic.

It's hard to believe that in July, it will have been open a year, and all we have so far is a Payless and maybe a Mattress place by then. Amazing how different the original description was to the neighborhoods vs what has come about.

I work in the suburbs and I've seen three Target's built in the surrounding areas, new shopping centers at the same time, and I've never seen them go almost a year with nothing else developed around them in all that time. In fact, most are built with a huge center around them already constructed and waiting to be filled with tenants as Target starts drawing people in. I wonder if retailers and businesses are just leery of the area right now? Target seems busy enough, as far as pulling in traffic.

I was thinking that same thing when I went to Target the other day... how it's almost been a year and so far hardly anything else is opened/developed around it. :unsure: At least those lofts are going up... that will make the area look nice.

At least those lofts are going up... that will make the area look nice.

I didn't look really closely, but based on the sign it appears the lofts have potential to be mixed use. That would be awesome.

I wonder if the property management has been trying to attract higher end businesses and it didn't work. Therefor Payless and ANOTHER matress store. :wacko: I bet that Payless is going to do really well, though. It's the only one even close to this part of town...

Back in high school i met graffiti writers that were in their prime and still are after 10 years and at that time they were 18-25 years old. almost all of this writers came from wealthy neighborhoods. Think about it how in the world do thay have so much paint. They got money. This writers are the ones that travel worldwide to get their fame. I also visit houston graffiti once a while to see whats going on in that world.I see alot of graffiti in the galleria area, montrose , kingwood, but it gets taken off really quick so in low-income nieghborhoods it stays longer because we have to actually dial the phone to 311. peace out!!!!!!!1

• 3 weeks later...

A person from Property Commerce suggested that Subway would be going in there (likely next to the mattress store). Confirmed the Chili's. Said they were trying to woo another big box store such as Best Buy or Circuit City. Chick - Fil - A has not committed.

All in all, pretty disappointing considering what might have been. Way back when this was first announced here is some of what was said:

Sawyer Heights Village will be an urban shopping center, similar in style to Highland Village and Town & Country Villages, Moss says. The developer is turning Taylor/Sawyer into a heavily landscaped boulevard with brick roadways, and has designs to make the entire project pedestrian-friendly.

Not exactly.

I am still a supporter.... but it is a shame that it seems more like every other suburban center than like a Highland Village. There is still time, and the lofts will help the look, but another Big Box retailer will be a real blow to that concept.

A person from Property Commerce suggested that Subway would be going in there (likely next to the mattress store). Confirmed the Chili's. Said they were trying to woo another big box store such as Best Buy or Circuit City. Chick - Fil - A has not committed.

All in all, pretty disappointing considering what might have been. Way back when this was first announced here is some of what was said:

Sawyer Heights Village will be an urban shopping center, similar in style to Highland Village and Town & Country Villages, Moss says. The developer is turning Taylor/Sawyer into a heavily landscaped boulevard with brick roadways, and has designs to make the entire project pedestrian-friendly.

Not exactly.

I am still a supporter.... but it is a shame that it seems more like every other suburban center than like a Highland Village. There is still time, and the lofts will help the look, but another Big Box retailer will be a real blow to that concept.

I am also a supporter... but I am also a bit disappointed in not only the stores chosen for the complex (except Target, of course), but also in the speed in which they are building everything. At least the lofts are going up... those are going to be nice when they are finished.

This just makes me laugh. The idea that any shopping center anchored by a target would remotely be like a highland village is simply hilarious...Especially in this location.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like they have added a Petsmart and a Subway to the plans... at least that's what it says on their website. yipee :mellow:

Petsmart makes perfect sense, but I thought there was a Subway on the other side of the highway...

Petsmart makes perfect sense, but I thought there was a Subway on the other side of the highway...

There is... maybe that one is closing. I guess having two in that area wouldn't be a bad thing... the one on Heights BLVD serves people in the Heights north of I10 and this other one will serve people south of I10 or people just shopping in that area or driving by on the freeway. I guess we will see. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Chilis, subway petsmart.. keep em coming. These are like little castles compared to the deserted warehouses and waste that have been sitting in that location for years :). I know that central market and similar companies would be better but hell we cant have everything. We can keep our fingers crossed though. B)

Not exactly.

mistergreen,

I enjoy driving by your place going to and from Washington. It and Wachovia are defiantly bright spots on a dreary drive. While I enjoy the Target, I can't help but think the remaining acreage will just be a reproduction of what could be found in any Sugarland across the country.

mistergreen,

I enjoy driving by your place going to and from Washington. It and Wachovia are defiantly bright spots on a dreary drive. While I enjoy the Target, I can't help but think the remaining acreage will just be a reproduction of what could be found in any Sugarland across the country.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm happy with the gardens this season.

post-815-1179287398.jpg

Hmmmm not sure how to make the image show up in the body of the post.

Edited by mistergreen

quess what folks.. heres some underground rumors. and they are pretty good sources

i live right in front of the big rice company in the sawyer heights 1s ward.. workers there are getting laid off. rumors are the rice company is moving out near the port of houston.. and guess who is sneaking in like a thief in the night in 2008..... WALMART hahaha :rolleyes:

remember.. these are rumors that come from the employees... got to wait see what really happens..

Edited by deliriouz

quess what folks.. heres some underground rumors. and they are pretty good sources

i live right in front of the big rice company in the sawyer heights 1s ward.. workers there are getting laid off. rumors are the rice company is moving out near the port of houston.. and guess who is sneaking in like a thief in the night in 2008..... WALMART hahaha :rolleyes:

remember.. these are rumors that come from the employees... got to wait see what really happens..

That would suck.

I hope Walmart never steps foot in the area. Ugh, total trash. Considering pepsi and coke seem to coincidentally offer the same fruity drink variations at the same time (vanilla, cherry, etc), I can only assume each company spies on their competition with regularity. And theres no doubt that Target has been surpassing its sales goals so its entirely possible. I hope not, but its possible.