Dallas's Victory Project Vs. HPavilions/East Downtown Development

Dallas Victory Project VS Houston Pavilions  

117 members have voted

1. 1. which will be hotter

• Dallas Victory
    • Houston Pavilions

I flew back from dallas earlier this evening and i went by victory prior to going to love. it makes me wonder why this thread was started at all. my friend who is a native dallasite was surprised i mentioned it at all. what really surprised me was the state of the freeways there.

So the friend thought VP was gonna be a greater success than HP w/o a doubt or the other way around? Why was he surprised you mentioned it? And the freeways are horrible?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the friend thought VP was gonna be a greater success than HP w/o a doubt or the other way around? Why was he surprised you mentioned it? And the freeways are horrible?
His comment had nothing to do with being a greater success. he was just surprised that Victory was gets press when he doesn't see it as a big thing.

some of the freeways made me felt like i was driving in a city frozen in the 60s.

I flew back from dallas earlier this evening and i went by victory prior to going to love. it makes me wonder why this thread was started at all. my friend who is a native dallasite was surprised i mentioned it at all. what really surprised me was the state of the freeways there.

Well, this IS an architectural forum, afterall. The excitement shown by many of VP is as much the completion of $3 Billion worth of development as anything that has currently been built. It would be hard to be impressed looking at the vast parking lots north of the AAC. With the shutdown of new construction, much of the excitement will likely be sucked out of it. The biggest problem is that, since Victory sits somewhat off by itself, everything must be built from scratch. There will be no critical mass until more of it is built out.

The economy and mortgage situation will probably make sure that Victory does not start building again for another year.

The latest word over at DallasMetropolis is that the Victory Tower construction cranes are coming down. Apparently, they will not be proceeding any time soon with the tower structure. Not only that, they are not even completing the full height of the parking structure, and as reported earlier, they have eliminated the retail portion of the garage structure.

I also read that the retailers/restaurants occupying Victory are really struggling right now by lack of Customers. They don't have enough people coming in to support the business. With the Victory Tower being on hold, that means the Mandarin that was planned inside is on hold too. After reading the dallas board, there hasn't been new construction in VP in a year. Victory needs to bring in residents in some way shape of form SOON if Victory is going to make it.

I'm hopeful things will start to look up again :)

After reading the dallas board, there hasn't been new construction in VP in a year. Victory needs to bring in residents in some way shape of form SOON if Victory is going to make it.

I guess by this you mean there have been no building starts within the past year, because there are two buildings going up right now (although one may have just topped out). I personally have never believed that it would be the residents of VP that would support the retail there, but residents of uptown and elsewhere.

Jason

35. so expanding the HOV network shows a lack of foresight?

Lack of foresight in implementation. So if you were at Victory Park you were very near I30 westbound. 60s? 70s? 80s?

Jason

I like how they locked that thread at dallasmetropolis.com where they were discussing Victory Tower and the Mandarin. It's so typical. I guess they only allow people to discuss projects going up in Victory if the news is all peachy. The slightest sustained doubts and they close a three year long thread. Talk about spin control.

I guess if or when Victory Tower gets underway, the thread will be reopened. Closing the thread makes it look like a sign of things to come for Victory.

Edited by Coaster

My opinion is that I-35 E south of I-30 is the worst freeway in Dallas. The CF Hawn probably comes in second (the road quality is awful). The Schepps Freeway (I-45) isn't awful but it's quite plain jane.

As for Victory, I think it's longterm success is dependent on how much Uptown and Oak Lawn continues to develop (and whether it will stretch more to the west. Victory has a physical disconnect from downtown but it's nothing compared to the psychological one. It could be a very nice area to visit for conventioneers and such but there is no psychological connection to DT which is only exacerabated by the notable disconnect physically.

That said, there are some nice individual developments that stand out. IMO, though, Victory Plaza isn't one of them.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

So if you were at Victory Park you were very near I30 westbound. 60s? 70s? 80s?

just stuck in time...it had been several years since i've been and well time hasn't moved forward much. reminds me of some older portions of 610 here.

i35eexit433b.JPG

Edited by musicman

just stuck in time...it had been several years since i've been and well time hasn't moved forward much. reminds me of some older portions of 610 here.

i35eexit433b.JPG

I don't get it? What is wrong with that highway scene? It looks a helluva lot better than some of our new freeways with signs all over the place, arrows in every lane, HOV lanes, multiple exit lanes, etc...

I don't get it? What is wrong with that highway scene? It looks a helluva lot better than some of our new freeways with signs all over the place, arrows in every lane, HOV lanes, multiple exit lanes, etc...

if it works for mayberry guess it is ok for everyone else too. i'd hope for better maintenance esp with its proximity to downtown.

I like how they locked that thread at dallasmetropolis.com where they were discussing Victory Tower and the Mandarin. It's so typical. I guess they only allow people to discuss projects going up in Victory if the news is all peachy. The slightest sustained doubts and they close a three year long thread. Talk about spin control.

I guess if or when Victory Tower gets underway, the thread will be reopened. Closing the thread makes it look like a sign of things to come for Victory.

I guess that settles it. If Dallasmetropolis closed the thread, then Victory must be dead.

Strange how my name ended up on there, though. I must be world famous. :lol:

I guess that settles it. If Dallasmetropolis closed the thread, then Victory must be dead.

Strange how my name ended up on there, though. I must be world famous. :lol:

See, thats what I was thinking. Were you giving them a dose of too much reality or something? Maybe they though by closing the thread, people would stop spreading negative comments about Victory and then everything would be alright.

Way to put the fear of God into Ross Perot, Red Scare. You've single handedly shut down Victory Park and cost dozens of people their jobs. I guess they can always find work in Houston.

Edited by Coaster

See, thats what I was thinking. Were you giving them a dose of too much reality or something? Maybe they though by closing the thread, people would stop spreading negative comments about Victory and then everything would be alright.

Way to put the fear of God into Ross Perot, Red Scare. You've single handedly shut down Victory Park and cost dozens of people their jobs. I guess they can always find work in Houston.

That's what is so strange about it. I never posted on their thread. I rarely even read it. My only guess is that "dzh", the poster on their board, also posts here. Maybe dzh is dallasboi on our board. Another strange thing was to see the number of people on their forum who said EXACTLY the same things I said, yet they are not attacked for saying so. It was clear that the Dallas posters that come on this board and talk Disneyland are in the minority on that forum. Basically, if a Dallas poster says something realistic about Dallas, it is accepted. If a Houston poster says something realistic, we are considered jealous.

Still funny to see my name on there, though. B)

The Victory thread is not locked, it is on page 2. The Victory Tower thread is locked. Seems logical to me, what purpose would there be to leave it open? Seems to me if you haven't gotten your point in yet you're just a monday morning quarterback.

Redscare: I think you end up getting called out like that just because your handle and debating skills are more memorable than some others. All in all you're pretty fair on the any issue, but some people can't see past an occasional devil's advocate viewpoint. Had the person said Mister X, I'd have to agree with him, but even he is rational from time to time.

Jason

i35eexit433b.JPG

I was just wondering if you traveled I30 westbound to see if that struck you as a more modern freeway or one that was better maintained. I guess I don't think about these things enough to even look at your photo and tell what is not well maintained. I can think of one thing further south on 35, TXDOT had left those stupid high mast poles all along the highway for years as I recall and they may still be there, I can't recall.

Jason

It could be a very nice area to visit for conventioneers and such but there is no psychological connection to DT which is only exacerabated by the notable disconnect physically.

You know it is funny. I've found among non-forumers the vast majority consider Victory part of downtown. I was watching part of the white rock marathon with friends and during the live coverage they referred to Victory Park as downtown perhaps 50 times during the ~2 hours of coverage. During toy or blood drives, you'll constantly hear it referred to as downtown as well.

jason

P.S. Sorry for 3 straight posts, usually the forum bundles them together for me.

Edited by JasonDFW

Had the person said Mister X, I'd have to agree with him, but even he is rational from time to time.

Jason

Wow. That's something to shoot for. The day people call me out on forums that I'm not even a member of and almost never even go to - I will know I've hit the big time. I'm proud of being rational from time to time. At least it's better than never. But if rational means giving nothing but glorious reviews of plazas with no people, being impressed with cold, featureless architecture, or ogling over every 10 story building in the metroprairie then we probably have different definitions of the word 'rational'.

I looked thru that infamous thread a few days ago. It gave me a little insight to what a cross section of Dallasites really think. And not the usual sad collection of trolls that buzz around this forum to gloat and tell us how jealous we are about every 7 Eleven being erected in Plano.

In typical Dallas fashion, it looks like they nipped this bad PR in the bud before the bad news leaked out. I hope they reopen the thread soon because I actually think that an non-partial thread about the state of Victory Tower is a good thing to have at a Dallas based web site. I am really kind of surprised they closed it because I didn't see anything particularly vicious or trolling. I just saw some people expressing some doubts. Closing that thread is an overreaction.

I see now that not only is the Victory thread not locked, but the Victory Tower thread is unlocked. Surely it was [unlocked] for some peachy news right? Nope, I guess not. The news was actually useful though, not just bickering.

Jason

edit: added word for Trae's clarity, also see my post above that says "The Victory Tower thread is locked."

Edited by JasonDFW

I hope they leave the threads open.

Restating the obvious, I think Victory will eventually get built out but they might have to wait until the market warrants more building. It was kind of an unwise decision in the first place to oversaturate a market with already high office rates with a hope and a prayer that people would come as they build. They should've finished converting all the vacant office space into residential lofts and filling that first before starting Victory. We have been saying that on this thread from day one.

How much money do you all think will be lost out on if they lower the prices in Victory for the more common mass people?

Edited by tierwestah

We have been saying that on this thread from day one.

. . .and you've been wrong since day one. There are at least 17 other cranes up within a half mile radius from this site. Many of them are just a few blocks away. The financing problem experienced for this project was site/developer specific. This project is way more ambitious than many others going up now.

Maybe our friend 713/214 can provide that. Not that i don't believe it. But the 17 cranes are proably the components of the project that started construction 6 months to a year ago.

Edited by tierwestah

. . .and you've been wrong since day one. There are at least 17 other cranes up within a half mile radius from this site. Many of them are just a few blocks away. The financing problem experienced for this project was site/developer specific. This project is way more ambitious than many others going up now.

You are the only one I find saying that. One HAIF, or any other forum that I have read.