Dallas's Victory Project Vs. HPavilions/East Downtown Development

scarface

Dallas Victory Project VS Houston Pavilions  

117 members have voted

1. 1. which will be hotter

• Dallas Victory
    • Houston Pavilions

Mister X I've lived in Houston for Two years of my life.....I've seen a good bit of Houston and I liked it alot when I lived there.It was very different from home and I think thats what made it kinda interesting.........However.......since I have seen both cities enuff to feel at home in both......I feel that my judgement is fair when I say that houston needs to step its game up..........Now don't get me wrong....Im not saying that Dallas is on top of its game in everything but for it to be on par with the 4th largest city in the U.S...That says alot for Dallas........Its not one category that Houston blows dallas away in.....And I really think it should..........I can honestly say that with Dallas being #9 on the list......every city thats below it(#10 down)cannot compare....Houston cant say that because every city below it,all the way to #10(except SA.TX)Gives Houston a run for it's money(quality of life Categories).....and Houston simply cant compare to any city above it(Top 3)...So to sum everything up I think Houston,being in the top 4...should be on par with the top 4.........lil ole Dallas should be eating H-Towns dust...IN EVERYTHING.........Houston should have his boot on the forehead of Dallas.............but thats simply not the case.. ;):rolleyes::D Thats just my 2 pennies.. :rolleyes:

Stop the crap and who uses city populations like that anymore? Dallas' overall metro area (including Fort Worth), is the reason why it is like that.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All those emoticons gave me a headache.

I was born and raised in Houston, Austin for college, and Dallas for sometime after graduation. I have to say that I miss Dallas in many ways. But at the same time, Houston is, and will always be home. The one thing that Dallas has an edge on is architecture. The Arts District is going to be amazing. I really don't think there will be anything like it in the United States. Houston does have the new Asia House coming online soon. But the bold, stunning architecture lacks in Houston. People in Houston do seem to blast Uptown Dallas, but they should not. Midtown is nothing like Uptown. I think Midtown can be in about 5 years, but they are still behind the 8 ball. As far as Montrose and Oak Lawn, forget it. Montrose is still gross and scary. Just my 5 cents.

I was born and raised in Houston, Austin for college, and Dallas for sometime after graduation. I have to say that I miss Dallas in many ways. But at the same time, Houston is, and will always be home. The one thing that Dallas has an edge on is architecture. The Arts District is going to be amazing. I really don't think there will be anything like it in the United States. Houston does have the new Asia House coming online soon. But the bold, stunning architecture lacks in Houston. People in Houston do seem to blast Uptown Dallas, but they should not. Midtown is nothing like Uptown. I think Midtown can be in about 5 years, but they are still behind the 8 ball. At as far at Montrose and Oak Lawn, forget it. Montrose is still gross and scary. Just my 5 cents.

Sorry about the emoticons........sometimes I just cant help it.

Stop the crap and who uses city populations like that anymore? Dallas' overall metro area (including Fort Worth), is the reason why it is like that.

What Crap?!!!!!

I was born and raised in Houston, Austin for college, and Dallas for sometime after graduation. I have to say that I miss Dallas in many ways. But at the same time, Houston is, and will always be home. The one thing that Dallas has an edge on is architecture. The Arts District is going to be amazing. I really don't think there will be anything like it in the United States. Houston does have the new Asia House coming online soon. But the bold, stunning architecture lacks in Houston. People in Houston do seem to blast Uptown Dallas, but they should not. Midtown is nothing like Uptown. I think Midtown can be in about 5 years, but they are still behind the 8 ball. At as far at Montrose and Oak Lawn, forget it. Montrose is still gross and scary. Just my 5 cents.

I will give the other side of the coin since I lived in Dallas most my life before moving to Houston for school. I agree with you that Dallas is beating out Houston in architecture for current projects. I don't think anybody can disagree with that. Where we differ is that I don't think you can compare Uptown Dallas to Midtown Houston. They are different types of areas - Uptown is aimed at a more upscale climate while Midtown is more young and trendy. (Not saying the the two don't overlap, but just in general.) Of course Midtown is nothing like Uptown...that is like saying Downtown Houston is nothing like the Heights. They are two totally different atmospheres. A comparison of the two uptowns would be more fitting. Now the comparison between Montrose and Oak Lawn is more realistic. While the bars might be better in Oak Lawn, Montrose in general is a lot nicer than Oak Lawn. They both have the same scary cracked out people walking around but I have always felt safer in Montrose. And trust me, I have spent plenty of time in both areas. :D But just my thoughts, and I did enjoy your post Banking! I do love both cities and want nothing but the best for both.

You guys are stupid. Stop being so stupid! Dallas is a hole. End of story. I lived there for 6 six years. It's too land locked and boring. They don't even have a beach or a forest nearby. It's all prairie. All talk- no substance. If it were any good, then we would all be posting at dallasmetropolis.com instead of here. Alas, Just like the forum that represents us, Houston is the big attraction. Not Dallas. They come from miles around just to talk about Houston. HAIF is proof of that. The only time the subject of Dallas comes up is just to get some Houston opinion of it which is usually followed by a chuckle.

BTW the architecture in Dallas is a joke. Shiny trapezoids, dandelion-shaped towers, big X's and white balls on the roof is tacky and just screams 'overkill'. The skyline looks like leftovers on a table at a pot luck dinner - a mish-mash of every conceivable collection of style and pattern. No unity. A complete disaster. I've never once seen Dallas on any CREDIBLE list of cities with great architecture. I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but some of you guys need to take a design class or something.

Slapping tacky jumbotrons on the front of cold war style bland architecture is probably why no one even wants to go to Victory. It's ugly!

I will give the other side of the coin since I lived in Dallas most my life before moving to Houston for school. I agree with you that Dallas is beating out Houston in architecture for current projects. I don't think anybody can disagree with that. Where we differ is that I don't think you can compare Uptown Dallas to Midtown Houston. They are different types of areas - Uptown is aimed at a more upscale climate while Midtown is more young and trendy. (Not saying the the two don't overlap, but just in general.) Of course Midtown is nothing like Uptown...that is like saying Downtown Houston is nothing like the Heights. They are two totally different atmospheres. A comparison of the two uptowns would be more fitting. Now the comparison between Montrose and Oak Lawn is more realistic. While the bars might be better in Oak Lawn, Montrose in general is a lot nicer than Oak Lawn. They both have the same scary cracked out people walking around but I have always felt safer in Montrose. And trust me, I have spent plenty of time in both areas. :D But just my thoughts, and I did enjoy your post Banking! I do love both cities and want nothing but the best for both.

The thing I like about Oak Lawn is you have Cedar Springs running down the middle. Always cars and people moving about (albeit cracked out or homeless). The bars/cafes/retaurants are all located next to each other. In Montrose, it is much more spread out. I really miss Buli right now. They have really good sandwiches. Great for people watching.

You guys are stupid. Stop being so stupid! Dallas is a hole. End of story. I lived there for 6 six years. It's too land locked and boring. They don't even have a beach or a forest nearby. It's all prairie. All talk- no substance. If it were any good, then we would all be posting at dallasmetropolis.com instead of here. Alas, Just like the forum that represents us, Houston is the big attraction. Not Dallas. They come from miles around just to talk about Houston. HAIF is proof of that. The only time the subject of Dallas comes up is just to get some Houston opinion of it which is usually followed by a chuckle.

BTW the architecture in Dallas is a joke. Shiny trapezoids, dandelion-shaped towers, big X's and white balls on the roof is tacky and just screams 'overkill'. The skyline looks like leftovers on a table at a pot luck dinner - a mish-mash of every conceivable collection of style and pattern. No unity. A complete disaster. I've never once seen Dallas on any CREDIBLE list of cities with great architecture. I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but some of you guys need to take a design class or something.

Slapping tacky jumbotrons on the front of cold war style bland architecture is probably why no one even wants to go to Victory. It's ugly!

You need to change your name to Debbie Downer.

Let me say that I have never lived in Dallas, but have spent a whole lot of time there. Also let me say that while I'm writing this, I'm doing my best to stay as unbiased as possible.

I was recently in Dallas and I have to admit that there is some nice stuff going up. It's nothing like what's going up in Atlanta, but nevertheless nice. Houston on the other hand does seem to be getting worse with it's approved designs. As has been said before, a lot of boxes. Having said that, Houston's inner city seems to be getting prettier as a whole, while Dallas' inner city (aside from UT) seems to be about the same with the exception of a few more highrises added.

Dallas has no beach. As a guy who has lived almost his whole life within 45 minutes of an ocean, I find it a must in my quality of life. Of course you can't forget the great culture that Galveston brings, as well as it's architecture, and history. Dallas simply can't compete with that.

Now to Victory... Of the couple of times I've been through the area, I have to admit that I'm a tad bit jealous that Houston's MT hasn't done something similar. However it does not feel anything like being in DT Houston for a night of partying or to see a game. This again is where Houston feels far more urban to me. While in Victory your looking at the Dallas skyline from a mile or two away, but while in Houston (especially concerning the Pavillions or Main St) your in the skyline. It's simply a much different feel.

I also find Houston seems to have more energy (no pun intended) than does Dallas. It also comes across as a more (dare I say) centralized entity, with a bigger feel.

Of course after reading the two articles posted by Niche in another thread, Houston seems to hold a pretty big advantage in this debate now.

Too bad we couldn't get the Arts District cranes in any of those shots. However, there is a live cam I think that can capture them all. I'll look for the link.

This live cam captures the Arts District cranes, and many of the others. You can control the camera's movement to catch most of the cranes up in and around Victory. Marketing pieces for most, if not all, of these projects reference Victory's close proximity as a incentive to move. So, I guess the argument could be made that Victory is helping to spawn additional development.

http://66.60.64.57/top/liveapplet.html

Topic reported to moderators. If you're going to post on HAIF, show a little respect for the forum and obey the posting rules.

• The title was changed to Dallas's Victory Project Vs. HPavilions/East Downtown Development

Archived