1. 1. which will be hotter

• Dallas Victory
    • Houston Pavilions

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol::lol: According to whom? Please tell me you have a source (study) other than yourself. :lol::lol:

The Los Angeles Times did an article called "Flocking from SoCal to Houston" (December 21, 2007) that discussed why Asians are moving in droves to Bellaire Blvd.

Google it up. The Miami newspaper also discussed Bellaire Blvd and environs a couple years ago as well.

Interesting, because the non-Asian tourists (from the north and south) that I've taken there have absolutely hated it (I think they were expecting something more along the lines of NY or SF style Chinatowns though). I've never thought of it as a tourist mecca before. I always thought of SF's chinatown as tourist mecca while I think of Houston's chinatown as more of a place for the local Asian population.

On a regular or daily PRACTICAL basis, I definitely prefer Houston's sprawling convenience than trying to find virtually non-existent good and free parking in the old style of NY or SF. It's pretty neat to drive through Bellaire at night also with the neon and then pick where we want to eat. It feels just as cool to get a meal at Xiang's or snow ice at May's...regardless of urban form. And there's plenty enough interesting pedestrian activity as it is on the weekends in the Sin Chao and Diho Plaza centers.

Edited by worldlyman

Bet that's not all he lost. The police report probably reads like a Harlequin romance.

yep and well enough for it to be on the national news this morning. they were saying there were most likely many more cases but the victims are married so they go unreported.

No, I was just looking at your home forum, and saw this post earlier today by some guy named "skylife":

I had a meeting in Victory this morning and stopped by the site to talk with the crew. They are going to finish a "garage" on the site, without retail while they wait on the "Mandarin." So, while there has been a lot of speculation regarding progress on this project, it seems it has filtered down to the workers. They said the Garage should be open by April. They were very specific to indicate that parts of the original plan were temporarily "left out because parking will be replacing retail" on the side across from the W.

I've also heard that the DMN is working on a story about Victory slowing down development and questioning how risky (for the branding of Victory) it is to stop developing. It seems it's a big risk for Perot to have a 1/3 finished Master Plan. I'm sure the thought of a retreat (or delay) at Victory will spur a great deal of conversation - all the way back to Laura Miller's stance and the TIF deal.

Like everything else, I am only sharing what I have been told. Maybe others have heard more and are wiling to share.

I just noticed something by looking at c4smok's map. All the projects and surrounding developments around the park and Pavilions on this part of downtown to me definitely looks to almost rival the Victory developement. I know its not larger but could it be almost close to the same size as Victory? Look at the map. Seeing how the developments tie in to eachother, It's becoming more clear now how the topic starter thought to make the comparison.

BTW:I'll try to find a pic of Victory overlook. Or If someone has one already please post it.

houstonprojects.gif

Edited by C2H

I just noticed something by looking at c4smok's map. All the projects and surrounding developments around the park and Pavilions on this part of downtown to me definitely looks to almost rival the Victory developement. I know its not larger but could it be almost close to the same size as Victory? Look at the map. Seeing how the developments tie in to eachother, It's becoming more clear now how the topic starter thought to make the comparison.

BTW:I'll try to find a pic of Victory overlook. Or If someone has one already please post it.

houstonprojects.gif

I would rather have the projects we are getting DOWNTOWN :wub: then something like Victory that's not Downtown. :D

dallasboi

I thought so, just making sure.

But yeah Dallasboi just look at the picture map of all the projects that are supposed to follow Houston Pavilions and The Park in the next couple of years. What we're going through now is probably a Phase II or III just like Victory is being done in phases. I guess one could say Phase 1 of downtown eastside development probably started around the Toyota Center and Hilton Americas. Very similar to Victory.

Edited by C2H

Victory is a very nice development, but it is very inward looking; in other words, fortress Victory seems somewhat disconnected from the rest of the immediate area, which is a fundamental flaw in its design, IMHO. Is HP designed to be integrated with the surrounding area, or are its retail storefronts inward facing as well? Is HP designed to generate foot traffic along its parameter, or is all of the activity "inside" the development?

The reason I ask is that to me good development should integrate with its surrounding area; otherwise, all we have a little islands of urbanity in a sea of parking lots and office buildings.

Victory is a very nice development, but it is very inward looking; in other words, fortress Victory seems somewhat disconnected from the rest of the immediate area, which is a fundamental flaw in its design, IMHO. Is HP designed to be integrated with the surrounding area, or are its retail storefronts inward facing as well? Is HP designed to generate foot traffic along its parameter, or is all of the activity "inside" the development?

The reason I ask is that to me good development should integrate with its surrounding area; otherwise, all we have a little islands of urbanity in a sea of parking lots and office buildings.

Leasing Plan.

For the most part, entrances will be along the three-block-long internal corridor, although entrances to the lobby and elevator banks are available from the street. Additionally, the big end-cap spaces look to be at least partially facing the street.

I'm conflicted as to whether this is the most integrative leasing plan available to them. On the one hand, I would've preferred that storefronts be more visible to those driving by. On the other, that also exposes shoppers to the elements, and from an aesthetic perspective, the buildings on both sides of Pavilions already act like gigantic blank walls that aren't going to go away, so I'm not quite sure what is there that's worth integrating with.

But at least in the sense that HP is geographically integrated into downtown whereas Victory stands apart, HP does have that going for it.

The curved endcaps also expose the interior promenade to the streetscape at either end. Given that it is only 3 blocks long...and smack in the middle of downtown...I wouldn't expect it to feel too disconnected. If the ground floor tenants have windows to the sidewalk, that would also help (don't know if that is planned, though).

EDIT: The artists renderings show ground level tenant space facing the street, at least at the corners.

Edited by RedScare

the inner corridor provides easier access (and sheltered access) for the pedestrians plus it is better for the businesses since the pedestrians will walk by storefronts on each level with one pass. looks like the house of blues will have access away from the inner corridor which would probably be better.

Edited by musicman

I thought so, just making sure.

But yeah Dallasboi just look at the picture map of all the projects that are supposed to follow Houston Pavilions and The Park in the next couple of years. What we're going through now is probably a Phase II or III just like Victory is being done in phases. I guess one could say Phase 1 of downtown eastside development probably started around the Toyota Center and Hilton Americas. Very similar to Victory.

Ok.....Now I see what you meant........I don't know why my post was mysteriously deleted....All I said was one word......."How"..............but you were so kind as to explain and I greatly appreciate it.

P.S.Could one of the mods be so kind as to pm me and explain to me why this happened? :unsure: ...thanks again C2H ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The latest word over at DallasMetropolis is that the Victory Tower construction cranes are coming down. Apparently, they will not be proceeding any time soon with the tower structure. Not only that, they are not even completing the full height of the parking structure, and as reported earlier, they have eliminated the retail portion of the garage structure.

The latest word over at DallasMetropolis is that the Victory Tower construction cranes are coming down. Apparently, they will not be proceeding any time soon with the tower structure. Not only that, they are not even completing the full height of the parking structure, and as reported earlier, they have eliminated the retail portion of the garage structure.

Wow that sux.

It was going to be an ugly building anyway. No great loss. In fact, I don't think it makes much difference if it ever gets built or not. Victory Fort will still be boring and sterile. IMO.

I have serious doubts that Victory will ever be built out according to the original plans. It doesn't look very good when they have to stop building a structure before it's even finished or scale something down while it's still under construction. Too bad.

Edited by Mister X

Just to clarify, Victory Tower was what the Mandarin was supposed to be in correct? I looked at the postings over on DallasMetropolis and that is what I took from it.

Edited by jayshoota

Just to clarify, Victory Tower was what the Mandarin was supposed to be in correct? I looked at the postings over on DallasMetropolis and that is what I took from it.

Yes, I believe you are correct. While I would have liked this to get built, given the current market conditions, it makes sense.

It was going to be an ugly building anyway. No great loss. In fact, I don't think it makes much difference if it ever gets built or not. Victory Fort will still be boring and sterile. IMO.

I have serious doubts that Victory will ever be built out according to the original plans. It doesn't look very good when they have to stop building a structure before it's even finished or scale something down while it's still under construction. Too bad.

I think it will get built out. It just won't be built out in the time they would have liked. This is basically a reality check for Ross Perot and Dallas. You cannot build a successful and vibrant neighborhood overnight and it would be idiotic to try to do so and not thing about hitting a roadblock somewhere. I don't know of any great neighborhood in the country that built a neighborhood in a very short amount of time. It's going to take time.

Bein' a Texas team player i have to honestly say, i'm sorry to hear this. It kind of reminds me of when the residential was scrapped from the Houston Pavilions. I agree with Spades though, Victory can't shoot out of the ground into a full grown neighborhood overnight. It's kind of like a plant. A plant can't just grow and become a success without the nourishment, time and care that it would take to fully blossom. Victory is the same. It may look cool with the flashy Video screens and all there's no feel yet. Right now Victory serves the same purpose as a Museum, It's just something to look at! <_<

Edited by tierwestah

I flew back from dallas earlier this evening and i went by victory prior to going to love. it makes me wonder why this thread was started at all. my friend who is a native dallasite was surprised i mentioned it at all. what really surprised me was the state of the freeways there.

I flew back from dallas earlier this evening and i went by victory prior to going to love. it makes me wonder why this thread was started at all. my friend who is a native dallasite was surprised i mentioned it at all. what really surprised me was the state of the freeways there.

Which freeways specifically? They've doubled the HOV network in the past year and that has clearly shown some lack of foresight on some of those highways, but I bet they'll get that cleaned up in time. Hindsight is 20/20.

Jason

Which freeways specifically? They've doubled the HOV network in the past year and that has clearly shown some lack of foresight on some of those highways, but I bet they'll get that cleaned up in time. Hindsight is 20/20.

Jason

35. so expanding the HOV network shows a lack of foresight?

it makes me wonder why this thread was started at all.

Why ? I'd say the two areas share similarites. They both are close to downtown. They both are new. They both will eventually make an impact on the downtowns of each city from their current state. It might help if people read.