Dallas's Victory Project Vs. HPavilions/East Downtown Development

Dallas Victory Project VS Houston Pavilions  

117 members have voted

1. 1. which will be hotter

• Dallas Victory
    • Houston Pavilions

Just got back from Dallas this weekend. I was kind of disappointed to see the Victory Screens are completely turned off at 10pm. It makes it seem like the whole idea was pointless. I thought it was supposed to be like Times Square?

The last time I was in Times Square, in 2004, the place was shut down and the sidewalks rolled up when we got out of our show, at 12:30 AM on a Saturday morning. I was shocked, always thought TS was like the LV strip, but it's not.

And neither is Victory. :(

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least that wasn't at 10 PM at night when the nighttime news are just coming on. And when I was there earlier this week, I noticed that there is always a small crowd of people outside of the WFAA studios. By small crowd, I mean maybe ten people, or less (at lot of them are just little kids no older than 8, with about five or so adults close by).

Edited by Trae

Just got back from Dallas this weekend. I was kind of disappointed to see the Victory Screens are completely turned off at 10pm. It makes it seem like the whole idea was pointless. I thought it was supposed to be like Times Square?

I live here and have never seen the screens turned off at 10pm unless there is some sort of maintence or problem. At every news cast they have them on. Perhaps it was at 11pm or they were doing maintence......

10pm?... wow that sux. But Seriously, if anyone actually thinks that Victory will become ANYTHING like Times Square... well... u are just :wacko: . ha ha

10pm?... wow that sux. But Seriously, if anyone actually thinks that Victory will become ANYTHING like Times Square... well... u are just :wacko: . ha ha

To be fair, there is nothing in all of Texas, Dallas or Houston, that will ever really be like Times Square. That reference was invented by the Marketing department at Hillwood. Only a fool would take that reference seriously.

To be fair, there is nothing in all of Texas, Dallas or Houston, that will ever really be like Times Square. That reference was invented by the Marketing department at Hillwood. Only a fool would take that reference seriously.

Well there are A LOT of fools out there. ^_^

The last time I was in Times Square, in 2004, the place was shut down and the sidewalks rolled up when we got out of our show, at 12:30 AM on a Saturday morning. I was shocked, always thought TS was like the LV strip, but it's not.

And neither is Victory. :(

By the way -- Times Square may have been slow "for Times Square," but I'm sure there were still thousands of people around that 40 or so block area. If you were coming out of a theater, you were most likely closer to 8th Ave., in the mid-40s. There are mostly restaurants and a few bars around there to handle the before theater crowd, but they do close after the shows start. Plus, 8th is sort of at the edge of one of the remaining "bad neighborhoods" of Midtown. Most New Yorkers don't really like going west of there after dark. So, yeah, it's a little quiet at 12:30.

Down on 42nd, the sidewalks were most likely full, as was the giant subway station there. Broadway and 7th (the main streets through Times Square probably had throngs of people from about 40th St. all the way up to 50th. At 12:30, though, it would have been time to go hit the bar, rather than try to gawk at lights in Times Square like a tourist. A quick ride on the subway down to The Village is what you should have done.

The Strip in Las Vegas is lively, but it's about 1/5 the size and not at all pedestrian oriented. Never does it see the kinds of crowds that Times Square does.

By the way -- Times Square may have been slow "for Times Square," but I'm sure there were still thousands of people around that 40 or so block area. If you were coming out of a theater, you were most likely closer to 8th Ave., in the mid-40s. There are mostly restaurants and a few bars around there to handle the before theater crowd, but they do close after the shows start. Plus, 8th is sort of at the edge of one of the remaining "bad neighborhoods" of Midtown. Most New Yorkers don't really like going west of there after dark. So, yeah, it's a little quiet at 12:30.

Down on 42nd, the sidewalks were most likely full, as was the giant subway station there. Broadway and 7th (the main streets through Times Square probably had throngs of people from about 40th St. all the way up to 50th. At 12:30, though, it would have been time to go hit the bar, rather than try to gawk at lights in Times Square like a tourist. A quick ride on the subway down to The Village is what you should have done.

The Strip in Las Vegas is lively, but it's about 1/5 the size and not at all pedestrian oriented. Never does it see the kinds of crowds that Times Square does.

Yea, I used to go to NYC a lot when I lived in Philly and I remember going to the McDonalds in Times Square at like 1am or 2am or even later after a night at the bars and the place was still full of people. It wasn't as busy as it was at say 6pm but it was still a busy place. A few blocks away from Times Square may have been quieter, but Times Square itself was still busy. B)

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is going on with Victory Tower, either the tower structure or the parking garage structure? It seems as if an information embargo has been imposed on the project ;-) Over at the DFW forum there seem to be constant updates on all of the downtown, uptown, and Victory projects, but it's virtual black hole regarding Victory Tower. They even seem to have deleted the entire Victory Tower thread.

Is the parking garage structure still under construction? If so, how is it progressing? Have they started construction on the tower structure? Does anyone have any recent pics of the project?

Does anyone know what is going on with Victory Tower, either the tower structure or the parking garage structure? It seems as if an information embargo has been imposed on the project ;-) Over at the DFW forum there seem to be constant updates on all of the downtown, uptown, and Victory projects, but it's virtual black hole regarding Victory Tower. They even seem to have deleted the entire Victory Tower thread.

Is the parking garage structure still under construction? If so, how is it progressing? Have they started construction on the tower structure? Does anyone have any recent pics of the project?

Two tower cranes are working on the garage. It's taken them a while to get to surface level... which is about where it is today. There's really not much that's worth talking about when a construction project is just working on the hole.

Why do you think they deleted the Victory Tower thread? It's right here...

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthre...hlight=mandarin

FUD?

Edited by Analog

Two tower cranes are working on the garage. It's taken them a while to get to surface level... which is about where it is today. There's really not much that's worth talking about when a construction project is just working on the hole.

Why do you think they deleted the Victory Tower thread? It's right here...

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthre...hlight=mandarin

FUD?

Yeah, I see it's back. Apparently it was stuck away in the Archives for a while...

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I see it's back. Apparently it was stuck away in the Archives for a while...

Hmm, ok. No one posted to the thread for about a month so perhaps that how it makes it to the archive section (which I didn't find until after my original post here). I wonder if that's an automatic thing?

Edited by Analog

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-1...icaltexas_N.htm

Sky's the new limit for urban living in Texas, and beyond

By Haya El Nasser, USA TODAY

DALLAS — The helipad atop the swank, 33-story W Hotel offers a panoramic view of Victory Park. Ross Perot Jr., his helicopter nearby, proudly points to glimmering high-rise condominiums, luxury hotels, office buildings and giant cranes poised to build more on 275 acres of former wasteland.

Edited by njjeppson

Despite all of the statements and misinformation earlier in this thread to the effect that the tower portion of Victory Tower was already under construction, photographic evidence has proven that NOT to be the case. Further, the latest information is that construction on the tower will begin in January 2008, at the earliest.

For those interested in checking on which posters are reliable, scroll back through this thread and see who said the tower was already under construction, who said it wasn't, and who predicted it might be delayed beyond the then-projected Autumn 2007 starting time... I'm just sayin'... ;-)

Edited by Houston19514

• 1 month later...
Any new news on Victory. I was wondering how it was coming along since this thread has been sleeping for a while.

Still developing as planned.

The House By Starcke

2085010057_f616fc1b15_o.jpg

One Victory Park

2085010545_9793129b18_o.jpg

The Cirque

2085109253_85dea8a5af_o.jpg

LFT - Lifestyle Fashion Terminal

2085125633_5241b8e08d_o.jpg

Hey thanks TexasStar. I would like to get to Dallas sometime in the near future to check out all the activity in Victory/Uptown areas.

• 3 weeks later...
Well I can confidently tell you as someone working in the building industry here in Dallas that the Victory tower is well underway. They have been drilling piers on the site for the past few weeks, both in the garage section and the area of the tower.

Well, despite assurances "confidently" given us by someone "working in the building industry . . . in Dallas" that the construction of the tower was well underway back in February, including the drilling of piers on the site for both the tower and garage portions, and despite the crazed claims by several other of our Dallas friends to the effect that the tower structure was under construction many months ago... it now seems that construction on the tower portion is not even scheduled to begin until October or November of 2008! (This according to a recent post on the DallasMetropolis board)

And those piers under the tower portion of the site?? Yea the portion where they are still parking cars?? ? . ? . ? Odd, very odd.

Edited by Houston19514

Well, despite assurances "confidently" given us by someone "working in the building industry . . . in Dallas" that the construction of the tower was well underway back in February, including the drilling of piers on the site for both the tower and garage portions, and despite the crazed claims by several other of our Dallas friends to the effect that the tower structure was under construction many months ago... it now seems that construction on the tower portion is not even scheduled to begin until October or November of 2008! (This according to a recent post on the DallasMetropolis board)

And those piers under the tower portion of the site?? Yea the portion where they are still parking cars?? ? . ? . ? Odd, very odd.

hmmm....sounds like someone down south is getting giddy over the prospects that this building may be on hold or even better yet, altogether cancelled. But seriously, as others at dallasmetropolis mentioned, this would be a huge blow to Hillwood and Perot's reputation if it didn't get built. Plus, it's a mix of office, hotel, retail, and a few condos, so the mortgage lending bust shouldn't have as great an impact if it were all condo. For those reasons, I'm confident, that much to 19514's chagrin, it'll go up as planned...eventually.

hmmm....sounds like someone down south is getting giddy over the prospects that this building may be on hold or even better yet, altogether cancelled. But seriously, as others at dallasmetropolis mentioned, this would be a huge blow to Hillwood and Perot's reputation if it didn't get built. Plus, it's a mix of office, hotel, retail, and a few condos, so the mortgage lending bust shouldn't have as great an impact if it were all condo. For those reasons, I'm confident, that much to 19514's chagrin, it'll go up as planned...eventually.

No giddiness about the delay of the building. I fully expected it to be delayed and warned that Dallasites should prepare themselves for slippage in the earlier-scheduled Fall 2007 construction start. (I am, however, enjoying the opportunity to expose the apparent lies that some from Dallas attempted to foist on us regarding this building.)

I too expect it will eventually built, or at least some high-rise structure will be built in its place. The tower structure doesn't actually include any retail, but it is a mix of office, hotel, and condos. The condos would be coming into an overbuilt high-end condo market; the office space would be coming into an overbuilt office market; the hotel would be coming into an overbuilt Dallas hotel market. The result: No surprise that they have delayed until autumn 2008. I would not be at all surprised if there are further delays.

No giddiness about the delay of the building. I fully expected it to be delayed and warned that Dallasites should prepare themselves for slippage in the earlier-scheduled Fall 2007 construction start. (I am, however, enjoying the opportunity to expose the apparent lies that some from Dallas attempted to foist on us regarding this building.)

I too expect it will eventually built, or at least some high-rise structure will be built in its place. The tower structure doesn't actually include any retail, but it is a mix of office, hotel, and condos. The condos would be coming into an overbuilt high-end condo market; the office space would be coming into an overbuilt office market; the hotel would be coming into an overbuilt Dallas hotel market. The result: No surprise that they have delayed until autumn 2008. I would not be at all surprised if there are further delays.

And whenever it gets built............u will have to be mopped up off the floor cause In know you are gonna melt....like the wicked witch of the west. :lol: