University Debates: Sports, Fundings, And Developments

VicMan

$296.4 million to $68.9 million.

The first number is what UT received in State support in 2014, the second is what UH was given. So, there are 227 MILLION reasons why anyone who supports UH might be wary of UT's encroachment into the City.

Seems more than generous to UH. UT is a much larger system with thousands of more students. I went to SFA but have no reason to expect it to get the same funding as UT or UH.

• Like 5

The first number is what UT received in State support in 2014, the second is what UH was given. So, there are 227 MILLION reasons why anyone who supports UH might be wary of UT's encroachment into the City. 

I did not fact check your figure but what I am 100% certain of is that all state funding comprises roughly only 15% of UT's yearly budget. The rest comes from donations and other sources. This speaks to the sheer size and organization. In fact UT just succesfully closed a $3 Billion with B capital raising campaign from its alumni. I am grateful for what funding comes our way from the state but UT is much much larger than that.  

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 3

As said below, that's really not that disproportionate, given population.

Non-Greater Houston Population of TX: 20.34 million, 75.4%

Greater Houston: 6.62 million, 24.6%

UT proportion of UT/UH state funding pool: 81.1%

UH proportion of UT/UH state funding pool: 18.9%

Considering that UT serves Houston students as well, state funding is fairly equitable given each school's mission. We need to stop thinking of our public universities as being in competition with one another. This ain't football here.

• Like 1

I have said it before on this forum someplace but will say it again, my old history professor at U of H, Dr. Stanley Siegel once told the class, "The University of Texas and Texas A&M get 1/2 the budget...the other 17 schools share the other half...the University of Texas has not one but three Gutenberg Bibles."

That quote stuck with me.

Not to split hairs here, but UT doesn't own '3' Gutenberg Bibles. It owns 2 volumes of 1 Bible as the complete Gutenberg Christian bible takes up two volumes / books.

They are actually on display at the Harry Ransom Center on the UT campus along with the 1st photograph ever taken!

--The more you know......

I say bring it on.

U of H has had to get where it is pretty much on hard work, struggle with very little support from the Texas legislature. We have worked extremely hard to build the University into a Tier 1, research institution

recently admitted into Phi Beta Kappa, and a pretty damned good football team that might be the best in

the state. WE now have just about as many students living on campus as any

other school in Texas. With a new stadium, new classrooms and more dorms being built its not the old

U. of H., and in comparison to the amount of money that UT and A&M has received from the state along

with their 100% share of the PUF I think we've overcome incredible odds. We also average about 40,000

students so its not like U.T. is that much larger. It's just in a much smaller market and it has no

competition for sports dollars.

I respect what UT and A&M have accomplished and admire all of the treasures they have acquired with all of

that PUF money over the years, and I'm sure that all of their alumni

are very proud and happy to add to those coffers.

So after much consideration I'm really not worried about U of H. We'll be just fine.

It would be nice if U of H and Texas Tech shared a portion of that state appropriated PUF money. Since we are state schools.

• Like 2

As has been pointed out earlier, UH is getting its fair share of state funding. As an outsider to this whole state school funding issue, its getting pretty old hearing from UH alumni about how bad they've got it by the state. Its clear the administration has been lacking up until recently, and the school has gone without the support from its alumni that the other state schools receive (possibly due to the historical nature of being a commuter school?). Fortunately for UH times are changing, peoples perceptions of the university are changing, and the school is creating a campus culture.. Y'all should be proud of what the school has been accomplishing as of late.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 2

I have said it before on this forum someplace but will say it again, my old history professor at U of H, Dr. Stanley Siegel once told the class, "The University of Texas and Texas A&M get 1/2 the budget...the other 17 schools share the other half...the University of Texas has not one but three Gutenberg Bibles."

sp_001.jpg

^^^ we even pray bigger...

wereTX.gif

• Like 1

As has been pointed out earlier, UH is getting its fair share of state funding. As an outsider to this whole state school funding issue, its getting pretty old hearing from UH alumni about how bad they've got it by the state. Its clear the administration has been lacking up until recently, and the school has gone without the support from its alumni that the other state schools receive (possibly due to the historical nature of being a commuter school?). Fortunately for UH times are changing, peoples perceptions of the university are changing, and the school is creating a campus culture.. Y'all should be proud of what the school has been accomplishing as of late.

Fair share of state funding would be ALL (not just UH) state schools getting a portion of the PUF fund respective to their enrollment.

I think it is best for me just to stop coming to this thread seeing nothing involving the actual development is being discussed.  

Fair share of state funding would be ALL (not just UH) state schools getting a portion of the PUF fund respective to their enrollment.

I think it is best for me just to stop coming to this thread seeing nothing involving the actual development is being discussed.  

Yet that is not what the PUF is for - it's to fund the state flagship systems. If you think it should be spread wider, then perhaps we should consider a reorganization of the state's public universities under the California model.

As said below, that's really not that disproportionate, given population.

Non-Greater Houston Population of TX: 20.34 million, 75.4%

Greater Houston: 6.62 million, 24.6%

UT proportion of UT/UH state funding pool: 81.1%

UH proportion of UT/UH state funding pool: 18.9%

Considering that UT serves Houston students as well, state funding is fairly equitable given each school's mission. We need to stop thinking of our public universities as being in competition with one another. This ain't football here.

So, you're implying that UH isn't open to all Texans? That people outside of Greater Houston pay out-of-city tuition? That there are no students from Austin, DFW, The Rio Grande Valley, or Piney Woods at UH?

I really don't understand your point at all. 

• Like 1

Just to note, they did not get their Gutenberg from the state legislature, or from its funds. It was a private gift. Not to mention, a brilliant one that no one else thought of. Having some very rich alumni who think outside the typical Texas box (i.e. "let's make our school great by building up the football team") goes a long way.

So, you're implying that UH isn't open to all Texans? That people outside of Greater Houston pay out-of-city tuition? That there are no students from Austin, DFW, The Rio Grande Valley, or Piney Woods at UH?

I really don't understand your point at all. 

Are you saying that the vast majority of UH students don't come from the Houston metro?

Are you saying that the vast majority of UH students don't come from the Houston metro?

I am saying that the University of Houston, like the University of Texas, is a STATE school open equally to everyone across the state. To claim that it should be funded less money because it only serves Greater Houston is factually incorrect. 

Also, interesting to see Falkenberg, a UT grad, write a column tonight about why UH should be leery of UT's Houston plans after the Chronicle Editorial Board met with UT top brass.

• Like 1

I am saying that the University of Houston, like the University of Texas, is a STATE school open equally to everyone across the state. To claim that it should be funded less money because it only serves Greater Houston is factually incorrect. 

Also, interesting to see Falkenberg, a UT grad, write a column tonight about why UH should be leery of UT's Houston plans after the Chronicle Editorial Board met with UT top brass.

can.jpg

^^^ falkenberg shall learn.. just like all of the others have had to learn...

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like a lot of posters need to take a look at what UT Is actually proposing. Hint: it's not UT-Houston or any other sort of full degree-granting campus.

You're right. It seems, as I mentioned earlier, they are building a UT-Dallas type of campus. I'd recommend folks reading up on UTD as that is something that would be very beneficial.

However, it does beg the question as how the state views UH and it's goals. Does UT support UH in the Big 12? What role will UH play in research? It would certainly be smart of the UT system and the state of Texas to explicitly state the goals and plans for a UT expansion and UH's place in the future. 

You're right. It seems, as I mentioned earlier, they are building a UT-Dallas type of campus. I'd recommend folks reading up on UTD as that is something that would be very beneficial.

However, it does beg the question as how the state views UH and it's goals. Does UT support UH in the Big 12? What role will UH play in research? It would certainly be smart of the UT system and the state of Texas to explicitly state the goals and plans for a UT expansion and UH's place in the future. 

I'm confused.  The post you replied to said that it was not going to be a full degree-granting campus and not a UT-Houston.  You agreed, and then said it would be like UT-Dallas, which is a full degree-granting campus.  In other words, you seem to say it will be exactly what the original poster said it would not be.  

Perhaps I had too much eggnog over the holidays . . . .

The fact that this keeps coming back to football is demonstrative of a need for UH to reevaluate its priorities.

It's not just about athletics, but it's pretty clear that UH is investing in athletics. College football is somewhat of a big deal not only in the state of Texas, but nationally, in terms of interest and revenue. I'm not sure if you are an Aggie or Longhorn but their athletics have an impact on their institutions from an image standpoint, recruiting students, having a strong alumni base, etc.. It is big business and people want to be part of a campus with that sort of "it" factor.

However, the Big 12 is just part of the several issues that need to be clarified from UT, which I don't think is unreasonable. 

Edited by kdog08

I'm confused.  The post you replied to said that it was not going to be a full degree-granting campus and not a UT-Houston.  You agreed, and then said it would be like UT-Dallas, which is a full degree-granting campus.  In other words, you seem to say it will be exactly what the original poster said it would not be.  

Perhaps I had too much eggnog over the holidays . . . .

I think I had too much eggnog...

I guess my point was that UTD was a research driven university in a major metro area, which is how it seems this campus is being billed in Houston. You're absolutely right, UTD is a full degree-granting campus, they just have a large percentage of grad students.