University Debates: Sports, Fundings, And Developments

VicMan

But that was at least a discussion about real issues, such as the balance between shopping convenience and detrimental physical impact, the propriety of the city encouraging development that its own citizens don't want, etc. This is all nonsense. All we have is one nondescript rendering. Nobody knows anything, and now we are comparing ratings of football games.

• Like 2

But that was at least a discussion about real issues, such as the balance between shopping convenience and detrimental physical impact, the propriety of the city encouraging development that its own citizens don't want, etc. This is all nonsense. All we have is one nondescript rendering. Nobody knows anything, and now we are comparing ratings of football games.

640px-Texas_Longhorn_logo.svg.png

^^^ awe come now h-townman... you know what the real problem is...

folks just need to get over themselves and stop being so jealous of TEXAS and our BURNT ORANGE KINGDOM.

why is it that every time that TEXAS announces something moving forward, the conspiracy theorist spring forth like USA drones getting after ISIS??

one can only guess that its just part of human nature around these parts... right?

well, never fear.. for when all is said and finally done...

its-good-to-be-the-king-5.png

because of the entitled attitude 

folks just need to get over themselves and stop being so jealous of TEXAS and our BURNT ORANGE KINGDOM.

why is it that every time that TEXAS announces something moving forward, the conspiracy theorist spring forth like USA drones getting after ISIS??

one can only guess that its just part of human nature around these parts... right?

• Like 1

No, but I want to see the plans for this new UT sports complex. Sounds pretty interesting.

Oh and Monarch it's good to be the King unless your Louis the 16th.

That didn't work out so well. Living high on the hog doesn't always make you happy.

• Like 1

No, but I want to see the plans for this new UT sports complex. Sounds pretty interesting.

Oh and Monarch it's good to be the King unless your Louis the 16th.

That didn't work out so well. Living high on the hog doesn't always make you happy.

^^^ oh its all good my great pal bobruss.  not to mention, from what we are now hearing upon various UT websites, the new basketball arena renderings are looking like a cool futuristic spaceship.  i cannot wait to view them as well as the DKR stadium project.... wow...

^^^ oh its all good my great pal bobruss. not to mention, from what we are now hearing upon various UT websites, the new basketball arena renderings are looking like a cool futuristic spaceship. i cannot wait to view them as well as the DKR stadium project.... wow...

When did you graduate from UT?

^^^ oh you haven't seen nothing yet my wonderful pal h-townman, just wait until we officially announce our forthcoming DKR SEZ / MONCRIEF NEUHAUS (football stadium full enclosure and expansion / renovation / redevelopment project.  this will undoubtedly make DKR MEMORIAL STADIUM... the collegiate stadium of futuristic dreams.  not to mention, our new and forthcoming futuristic state of the art $600mm+ basketball arena... the established sentiment will only get worser.... 

Is this UT fund raising or tax money?

Edited by jmitch94

Is this UT fund raising or tax money?

^^^ fundraising.  there is currently a HUGE billion dollar athletics campaign currently underway.  the brand new TENNIS FACILITY is currently under construction and fully funded.  however, the current $$$ campaign is slated for the DKR SEZ project as well as the new basketball arena...

• Like 1

inthenews-001.jpg

• Like 1

Of course he is not going to be concerned.

He is not in major competition from UT. They serve different markets. That's Like a speciality cup cake store concerned about a giant golden coral moving in across the street. They are competing for different buyers so they won't be worried. Now UH would be like Lubys.

He is retiring so who cares.......he doesn't say that if he doesn't resign

Tsu's target demographic is what ut wants also...an academically sound African American and to fill certain quotas they will offer them more financial aid than what tsu would offer at times

He is retiring so who cares.......he doesn't say that if he doesn't resign

Tsu's target demographic is what ut wants also...an academically sound African American and to fill certain quotas they will offer them more financial aid than what tsu would offer at times

I don't think these schools are battling for demographic. Tons of smart black kids out there to go around. (Although we would not hear the end of it if PV would try to build a campus here).

What they are jostling for is prominence, research dollars and top people in academia.

TSU is aiming to stay alive, UH is aiming to get on UT's standing, UT is aiming to expand its standing. TSU is not even a threat to UH, let alone UT. Conversely, UH is not much of a concern for TSU, so why would UT be?

Let's face it TSU is not one of those Atlanta HBCUs. Young top AA's are not anxious to enter TSU, but eying UH as an equally exciting alternative. A School like UT would be their top choice, UH would be the school they will settle for and TSU would be their safety.

Now there will be a lot of kids who are seeking the school culture that only HBCUs offer, but more often than not those are not the top tier students.

For me TSU was never an option. I wanted to stay local. UH was an ok option for me applied to RICE as a long shot, was floored when I got in. I don't have anything against TSU, it's just not close to being a top tier option so of course won't be in much competition with top tier schools

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the simple answer from a Houston perspective is: more is better.  UT is going to deploy the resources from that $25 billion endowment somewhere in the state - why not try to maximize the amount coming to Houston?  UH should negotiate a no faculty poaching agreement and Big 12 entry.

• Like 1

If the rules apply to UH, they should apply to UT. When UH was exploring a campus on the north side of Houston, approval was stalled on the basis that it would encroach upon Sam Houston State. UH didn't throw a "hissy fit" and complied with legislative sentiment. But UT doesn't care about legislative sentiment because it doesn't need the legislature's money to buy the land. So where is the money coming from? Oh yeah, the PUF, that's where. A fund that enriches UT in the amount of almost a half a billion dollars a year, that UH does not receive. So that's playing by the rules?

You can be assured that UH will contest this vigorously. If it takes challenging the discriminatory manner in which UT and TAMU are benefited through the PUF payments that will happen too. Dr. Khator has her allies in the legislature and in the city. Don't think for a second she's going to let this go without a fight. 

• Like 3

Bingo. 

In addition to the state shutting down UH's Tomball aspirations, it also shut down A&Ms merger with South Texas College of Law due to the proximity to UH and TSU. The Aggies had to go up North to Fort Worth and Texas Wesleyan were there wasn't as much competition. 

What I want to know is why isn't UT talking specifics? Is it because they don't have them yet? If that is the case, then spending hundreds of millions would be stupid. If they do have them, are they being secretive for a reason? It seems like a STATE run institution should have to answer first before spending. Is that too much to ask? 

• Like 1

Bingo. 

In addition to the state shutting down UH's Tomball aspirations, it also shut down A&Ms merger with South Texas College of Law due to the proximity to UH and TSU. The Aggies had to go up North to Fort Worth and Texas Wesleyan were there wasn't as much competition. 

What I want to know is why isn't UT talking specifics? Is it because they don't have them yet? If that is the case, then spending hundreds of millions would be stupid. If they do have them, are they being secretive for a reason? It seems like a STATE run institution should have to answer first before spending. Is that too much to ask? 

It's dawned on me that we've got this backwards.  The State doesn't run UT, UT runs the State.  What were we thinking?

Be back in a moment...some police vehicles just pulled up in front of my house...gotta see what's going on...

Uh oh, in case I don't return, here's a shot from my security cam out front...

AcademyVehicles.jpg

• Like 2

If the rules apply to UH, they should apply to UT. When UH was exploring a campus on the north side of Houston, approval was stalled on the basis that it would encroach upon Sam Houston State. UH didn't throw a "hissy fit" and complied with legislative sentiment. But UT doesn't care about legislative sentiment because it doesn't need the legislature's money to buy the land. So where is the money coming from? Oh yeah, the PUF, that's where. A fund that enriches UT in the amount of almost a half a billion dollars a year, that UH does not receive. So that's playing by the rules?

You can be assured that UH will contest this vigorously. If it takes challenging the discriminatory manner in which UT and TAMU are benefited through the PUF payments that will happen too. Dr. Khator has her allies in the legislature and in the city. Don't think for a second she's going to let this go without a fight. 

It's pretty simple - the PUF was set up to benefit the University of Texas system. A&M gets a chunk because it was spun off from the UT system. UH has never been associated with the UT system, and yet it thinks it's entitled to those monies?

The only way it would make sense for UH to get PUF money would be to merge into the UT system, but I do not see anyone pushing for that. This is attempting to have your cake (administrative independence) and eat it too.

• Like 2

the PUF was set up at a time when nobody could foresee the future. Most people didn't attend college and people of color certainly didn't. The State is very different now than it was then. It's time to change the way we fund higher education in this state or we'll continue to see an overall brain drain. 

It would also be in UT's best interest to have other highly desirable public institutions for people to attend. Overcrowding in Austin has been a huge problem.

It's pretty simple - the PUF was set up to benefit the University of Texas system. A&M gets a chunk because it was spun off from the UT system. UH has never been associated with the UT system, and yet it thinks it's entitled to those monies?

The only way it would make sense for UH to get PUF money would be to merge into the UT system, but I do not see anyone pushing for that. This is attempting to have your cake (administrative independence) and eat it too.

The central point of my post is left unchallenged, because there is no plausible answer. Why is UH blocked from establishing a facility within 50 miles of Sam Houston State, but UT is permitted to establish a facility within 5 miles of UH? 

With respect to the PUF, you are entirely incorrect in your assertion that the PUF "was set up to benefit the University of Texas system." It was set up to assist in the funding of higher education. At the time it was formed the Universtity of Texas didn't even exist. The fund was first comtemplated in 1839, and UT was created in 1858. Since UT was the first public university in Texas it obviously became the focus of the fund. The UT "system" was only included pursuant to a constitutional amendment passed in 1984. Obviously, at any time an amendment could be offered to include UH and Texas Tech as recipients, couldn't it? I assume you urge such action since you feel like everything is so fairly divided.

It all comes down to what is the fairest thing for the taxpayers of the State, who so generously support the operations of all the public universities of Texas. UH is a tier one research facility. There is no compelling need to spend hundreds of millions of dollars when UH is only miles away. And there is no justification for imposing encroachment rules upon the UH and none upon the UT.

• Like 2

the PUF was set up at a time when nobody could foresee the future. Most people didn't attend college and people of color certainly didn't. The State is very different now than it was then. It's time to change the way we fund higher education in this state or we'll continue to see an overall brain drain. 

It would also be in UT's best interest to have other highly desirable public institutions for people to attend. Overcrowding in Austin has been a huge problem.

stop-signs.png

^^^ who told you that "people of color" didn't attend institutions of higher learning (colleges / universities) during the era of the PUF???

we may not have been able to attend CERTAIN colleges due to open and blatant white racism...

but i can honestly assure you that "people of color" certainly attended colleges / universities....

The central point of my post is left unchallenged, because there is no plausible answer. Why is UH blocked from establishing a facility within 50 miles of Sam Houston State, but UT is permitted to establish a facility within 5 miles of UH? 

With respect to the PUF, you are entirely incorrect in your assertion that the PUF "was set up to benefit the University of Texas system." It was set up to assist in the funding of higher education. At the time it was formed the Universtity of Texas didn't even exist. The fund was first comtemplated in 1839, and UT was created in 1858. Since UT was the first public university in Texas it obviously became the focus of the fund. The UT "system" was only included pursuant to a constitutional amendment passed in 1984. Obviously, at any time an amendment could be offered to include UH and Texas Tech as recipients, couldn't it? I assume you urge such action since you feel like everything is so fairly divided.

It all comes down to what is the fairest thing for the taxpayers of the State, who so generously support the operations of all the public universities of Texas. UH is a tier one research facility. There is no compelling need to spend hundreds of millions of dollars when UH is only miles away. And there is no justification for imposing encroachment rules upon the UH and none upon the UT.

To me, it's not an issue of fairness - the state of Texas is best served by having a world-class research university, and it is able to have one because of the funding the PUF provides.

The reason UH was blocked is because it serves a similar purpose to SHSU, just at a higher level. UT serves a much bigger purpose than both of those schools. Certainly, the state constitution could be changed to end this division, but I believe the state as a whole would suffer for not having a top-five endowed university in the country anymore.

• Like 1

To me, it's not an issue of fairness - the state of Texas is best served by having a world-class research university, and it is able to have one because of the funding the PUF provides.

The reason UH was blocked is because it serves a similar purpose to SHSU, just at a higher level. UT serves a much bigger purpose than both of those schools. Certainly, the state constitution could be changed to end this division, but I believe the state as a whole would suffer for not having a top-five endowed university in the country anymore.

Well, I applaud your honesty "it's not an issue of fairness."

It's not an issue of fairness when it comes to the distribution of State funds? Presently there are over 100,000 students enrolled in the University of Houston system and Texas Tech. Apparently you are of the opinion that they, and their families, are inferior citizens not entitled to an equal sharing in the money the state can expend on higher education. Why don't we just close those schools and direct all the state's resources to the expansion of the UT system? Obviously, God made the UT Austin in his image.

• Like 2

Regarding students enrolled at UofH and Texas Tech and their supposed inferior status...yes I can assure you that A&M students and Texas students do feel superior.  University education is a bit of a meritocracy, you have to actually apply for entry and everything.

I'm pretty sure there is no state in the country that intends for all of the Universities they fund to be equal to one another.

Edited by JJxvi