Brava: 46-Story Residential High-Rise At 414 Milam St.

brijonmang

11 minutes ago, keaton said:

I agree, it's been surprisingly nice. The stone will be curved and has a nice look to it already. For a parking podium, it's better than any other I can think of in the near vicinity 

Better than Aris?

Aris is a fake "window" exterior that gives up its secret at night when the lights shine through. It's better than a wall (certainly better than the Rice) but I feel like this has some nice elements that flow well into the overall aesthetic of the building. 

But I'm not an expert - I analyze data for a living soooo :) 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 9:36 AM, Montrose1100 said:

I wonder why they opted for a huge Randal Davis style podium to face Market Square like that. They couldn't have pizzazz'd it with some typical vertical long LED strips to make this +10 story stone wall visually appealing? Aris literally faces the park. Market Square Tower kind of tried. Just expected something more I guess.

How do you know they don't have some plans for lighting or other ways to "pizzazz" it?

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

How do you know they don't have some plans for lighting of other ways to "pizzazz" it?

I think it looks elegant and clean, I don't think their target demographic is looking for "piazzazz" outside their apartment. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iah77 said:

I think it looks elegant and clean, I don't think their target demographic is looking for "piazzazz" outside their apartment. 

You’re probably right. Why would anyone want to live in a non traditional high rise apartment with a central location, next to a park, blocks from the theaters, skyline views with any pizzazz. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This building is staying fairly close to the renderings from what I can see. I like how the angled line of the tower extends itself into the base as a demarcation between the stone and glass. 

The one part I cannot get a feel for is the side facing the Calpine building. It’s vague from the renderings but appears to be recessed grating with some sort of stone outcropping as an accent. It’s very had to make parking garage bases look nice and it looks like they gave a strong effort here. The alternative would have been to bury the garage, but then I feel like they would have needed to cut budget on the high rise portion, which would be a shame. 

My only complaint is that the most interesting angle of the building faces into downtown and won’t be outwardly visible. It would have been a nice touch to our skyline, but from the freeway angle it will look like aBother fairly boring building. That feels like a missed opportunity to me as this building is on the edge of downtown and will be prominent in the skyline.

Plus the Texas tower will block the view of this angle from within downtown.

Edited by Sunstar
Got my blocks mixed up
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, jmitch94 said:

I personally have started to care less and less about what stuff looks like form the freeway. That is not how you live or truly interact with a city. I want developments to be very inviting and cohesive with their surrounds at the ground level which is where people actually are going to be. I'll always trade freeway presence in a building for one that adds to the neighborhood instead of just another sculpture for suburbanites to look at on their way to an Astros game. 

Why can’t both be important? Glibly writing off people that care about how our skyline looks as suburbanites going to an Astros game runs contrary to the many skyline pictures I see on this forum every day. 

• Like 6

On 8/16/2020 at 4:12 PM, Sunstar said:

Why can’t both be important? Glibly writing off people that care about how our skyline looks as suburbanites going to an Astros game runs contrary to the many skyline pictures I see on this forum every day. 

It’s still somewhat important but no one goes New York for the main purpose of sitting across the river in New Jersey and looking at the skyline. Most great cities are not great because they have nice skylines. For example Barcelona and Paris have next to no iconic skylines outside of a single structure in each. 

• Like 6