Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

The biggest thing I've been waiting on for months are the lights they installed along both the northern and southern paths. Once they turn those on, I can see me even going along these trails at night. It would make for a nice nightly jog.

They were on this evening.

They sure are! They must have turned them on last weekend.

These are terrible night photos. I hope someone who has a good night time camera can take pictures of this. The blue all over the place is beautiful.

mbBZvs5.jpg?2

B9OrWX2.jpg?2

n0q9Vcy.jpg?2

gpxFsU1.jpg?2

• Like 3

Yea cycling through there last night was almost unbearable. Haha...

Call me crazy but I think this could potentially be a romantic walkway as well. The scenic view of downtown and the blue lights installed underneath the bridge connected to the police memorial really set the mood.

i only notice the little blue beacons on the tops of the light poles? the lights under the bridge look white in the picture. unless you mean more of the black light kind of lighting like under the 45 overpasses. i agree the area should be much nicer to walk/ride through now with lighting along the trail on both sides of the bayou. one question i had though, how bright is the new lighting? maybe its the fact you were probably using a cell phone to take the pictures, but they dont seem like they light up the ground very much..

It is blue on top of the light poles, right. And there actually is blue lighting located under the bridge by the police memorial but I don't think it is in my pictures here. Also, I dimmed the lighting in my photos to try to make up for the even worse quality if I hadn't. So yea, the lights are actually quite bright.

Went running on these trails at night earlier this week, the lights make a huge difference and they look great - and yes there's blue under the police memorial bridge, and now there's a sort of bright LED type lighting under memorial drive between the police memorial and the montrose bridge area.

• Like 1

I took a few photos of the new lights while biking home from work on Friday night. They look awesome; I'm really happy with what they've done so far! The blue lights on the ends of the bridge to the police memorial are a nice touch. Unfortunately, the blue lights on top of the trail lights weren't all functional; maybe a quarter were out. I guess they're still working on it.

Still not the best nighttime camera (just used my little pocket point and shoot that I carry everywhere) but I think they turned out a little better than the above ones (click each for higher resolution):

fJEvFRjl.jpg

QOPFiTOl.jpg

PIiNmtql.jpg

HwOWembl.jpg

• Like 8

Still not the best nighttime camera (just used my little pocket point and shoot that I carry everywhere) but I think they turned out a little better than the above ones (click each for higher resolution):

You captured it far better than I could! Great job. And yes, that's why I'm getting a much better camera in March/April.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you look in the "Bayou" subsection of the downtown development timeline that Urbanizer / Triton posted, it shows North Canal beginning construction in 2015.  This will link White Oak Bayou to Buffalo Bayou further east than Allen's Landing.  This will turn the little peninsula that juts southward downtown to a small prison island, like our own little Alcatraz.  

The idea was first proposed I believe decades ago to alleviate downtown flooding by shifting White Oak run-off further east towards the Ship Channel.  I had no idea this was about to happen, but it's great it's now it's planned.  That said, I'm sure that the Buffalo Bayou plans for landscaping and residential use of Little Alcatraz aren't on the boards.   

• Like 1

Yesterday morning, Mayor Parker had a podium set up at the completed portion of the park by the skate park, and she gave a speech about the progress of this project, as well as cycling culture and stuff like that.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/24908168/2014/03/06/mayor-parker-cycling-culture-houston

I didn't see the talk, but I happened to bike by there while they were setting it up.

• Like 1

If you look in the "Bayou" subsection of the downtown development timeline that Urbanizer / Triton posted, it shows North Canal beginning construction in 2015. This will link White Oak Bayou to Buffalo Bayou further east than Allen's Landing. This will turn the little peninsula that juts southward downtown to a small prison island, like our own little Alcatraz.

The idea was first proposed I believe decades ago to alleviate downtown flooding by shifting White Oak run-off further east towards the Ship Channel. I had no idea this was about to happen, but it's great it's about to happen. That said, I'm sure that the Buffalo Bayou plans for landscaping and residential use of Little Alcatraz aren't on the boards.

That is phenomenal. They will need to move the Metro bus barn if so. The 2003 (?) bayou master plan showed some exciting views of this stretch as a terraced waterway lined with restaurants. I hope the existing powers can team up to do this right, it's a unique opportunity.

That is phenomenal. They will need to move the Metro bus barn if so. The 2003 (?) bayou master plan showed some exciting views of this stretch as a terraced waterway lined with restaurants. I hope the existing powers can team up to do this right, it's a unique opportunity.

I think I remember what you are talking about it was like the river walk on  roids right ?

• Like 1

The Metro relocation is shown on the chart starting Q2 this year.  

I'm excited about the canal, but the terraced waterway with restaurants seems a tad fanciful in that area.

• Like 1

The Metro relocation is shown on the chart starting Q2 this year.  

I'm excited about the canal, but the terraced waterway with restaurants seems a tad fanciful in that area.

I can see how it would work using the sunset coffee house as a base and  ferrying people to that area via the bayou

I have always belived Houston has so little natrual beaty that we should be busting our ass to enhance what little we do have.

• Like 3

I can see how it would work using the sunset coffee house as a base and ferrying people to that area via the bayou

I have always belived Houston has so little natrual beaty that we should be busting our ass to enhance what little we do have.

I can see it too if we can relocate the prison.. (Are there any plans for that?) but with so many other mixed use developments happening across town and large swaths of land like Hardy yards, KGB, and the astroworld site sitting vacant while seemingly prime for development, I don't see the canal area turning into an instant hit unless the city really got behind it with incentives and stuff like they are doing for the residential and retail districts/programs.. Which is entirely possible. I hope that area somewhat resembles the 2003 master plan eventually, but I don't see it happening for a decade or so.

The project is listed under Harris County Flood Control District; nothing is noted about moving the prison.  I could be wrong, but I don't see the exterior of a prison as having much potential as a popular promenade spot.  (alliterate much?)

Haha, notice I mentioned moving the prison is key. And yeah, didn't see any mention of it. Maybe the next mayor will have a vision to redevelop that area.. Why have a prison in the middle of a city where land prices are so high? Might as well be a high-rise prison.. Heh. Probably be harder to escape from too.

• Like 1

"Make no small plans - they have not the power to stir men's blood."

- guy who designed 18 miles of Chicago lakefront park

When you think about it, the stigma of a prison is probably the only thing that could've made land values cheap enough for this to be possible.

• Like 1

Is the prison really a factor , from what I recall the  promaded is futher down the bayou anyway more along the east end of town( I would be more concerned with that park heading toward  east down that seems to have become hobo  camp grounds.)

From the original plan:

North and South Canals 
Two new canals will provide supplementary floodwater
capacity for Buffalo Bayou. These channels will create new
urban edges forming recreation and activity spines to
vital new waterfront neighborhoods.  The North Canal features a three-tiered quay connected by a system of stairs and ramps, accommodating temporary and seasonal amenities such as cafes, restaurants, open-air markets and exhibitions.

Having a prison on the island isn't the end of the world if you look at this as basically an infrastructure and flood control project instead of urban infill development.  As long as the prison is there, I say make the best of it and follow the "Parking District" approach.  Designate the island as the Prison District, and rename the surrounding bits of Buffalo Bayou, White Oak Bayou and the canal as the Prison Moat.  

The prisons look decent enough from outside, and it's not like they let the prisoners out for recess. I see no reason why they can't hold the land on either side of the new canal and sell it off to restaurants. Let the thing take off, and in 20 years, the land under the prisons becomes a huge redevelopment site, with the county making more than enough on it to rebuild elsewhere.

• Like 1