Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

I'm not sure why everyone keeps referring to it as sheet metal.

Its a railing/guardrail system made up of thin tubing and it looks just fine.

Looks just fine to me, too. And, yes, City code requires that openings in railings be small enough that small children cannot get through...3 or 4 inches, I believe.

Those would actually make it more humid. Misting Stations work best in hot arid cities like Vegas or Phoenix which is lacking moisture. They should add col air station to simulate a cool breeze on a hot humid day.

I dont understand how it would make it more humid. The human body releases sweat to cool down the body, so why would an artificial "sweat" such as a misting station not be a great idea for jogging/walking trails and parks. Events that do have misting stations during the summer are huge hits. They really don't use a great deal of water, can't be any more than a water fountain. Especially if they were created like a push sink knob where it is activated for a certain amount of time.

I don't know, I think it would be awesome. lol

Entrepreneurs, get on it!

I dont understand how it would make it more humid. The human body releases sweat to cool down the body, so why would an artificial "sweat" such as a misting station not be a great idea for jogging/walking trails and parks. Events that do have misting stations during the summer are huge hits. They really don't use a great deal of water, can't be any more than a water fountain. Especially if they were created like a push sink knob where it is activated for a certain amount of time.

I don't know, I think it would be awesome. lol

Entrepreneurs, get on it!

It's more a matter of how misting is used in Houston vs. drier climates. In a dry climate, a misting system works through evaporitive cooling. As the mist of water is dispersed above where people are, the water mist evaporates in the air and in doing so absorbs heat energy out of the air (energy is needed to convert the water from a liquid to a gas) so the resulting air is cooler than it would have been. It is also more humid because it now contains all of that evaporated water. But that's usually not a big deal in a drier climate like California or Vegas.

But in Houston where the humidity is pretty much saturated, misters work because they blow cool water on you. Like a previous poster said, that additional water would act like artificial sweat so you'd also have a little bit of extra cooling at the skin. But that's different than cooling the air around you.

But what I'd like to see is an outdoor shower like the one at Memorial Park by the tennis center. It would be a way to cool off and freshen up a bit after a long workout.

But what I'd like to see is an outdoor shower like the one at Memorial Park by the tennis center. It would be a way to cool off and freshen up a bit after a long workout.

I second that. I've been tempted to use the Wortham Fountain, but the water stinks of dogs and chlorine.

i do like the part about the bikers getting a seperate lane. i run there every other day and can't stand them--part of the reason why I'm not wild about the additional concrete paths they are putting in (before you jump on me--i recognize that they have the right to be there too).

H-TP: Well put. Just so you know, the feeling's mutual. . .I wish I had a dollar for every time I've had to bail off into the grass on my bike on Saturday morning because iPod-ed, oblivious joggers are running 5-abreast in their marathon training haze on the Memorial Park bike trail. But I can at least chuckle at the twisted irony having to avoid slamming into the signpost with the picture of a bike and the words BIKE ROUTE on it.

So here's hoping that the powers-that-be are taking those logistical issues into consideration, so that cyclists and runners can be courteous and polite to one another -- from a distance on dedicated trails. B)

H-TP: Well put. Just so you know, the feeling's mutual. . .I wish I had a dollar for every time I've had to bail off into the grass on my bike on Saturday morning because iPod-ed, oblivious joggers are running 5-abreast in their marathon training haze on the Memorial Park bike trail. But I can at least chuckle at the twisted irony having to avoid slamming into the signpost with the picture of a bike and the words BIKE ROUTE on it.

So here's hoping that the powers-that-be are taking those logistical issues into consideration, so that cyclists and runners can be courteous and polite to one another -- from a distance on dedicated trails. B)

Haha. This reply wins.

Those would actually make it more humid. Misting Stations work best in hot arid cities like Vegas or Phoenix which is lacking moisture. They should add col air station to simulate a cool breeze on a hot humid day.

The misting stations in Memorial work just fine. Running 35 miles/week all year round, I'm very, very glad of them in the height of summer.

I actually took a closer look at the bridge today, it only LOOKS like sheet metal from a distance (and at various) angles. In reality it's just metal piping or whatever. It's okay, but I think they could have done a bit better, though.

As long as its durable, I don't think the appearance of this material is worth the concern. Let's keep building more of these bridges and such with that generous donation to the City.

I asked some of the workers yesterday, and they said "it's supposed to be done on the 18th"

Given the 18th was yesterday, i take it they don't know. But it is getting close.

looking closer at those art sculptures, they are made up of letters from different alphabets across the world. I recognized at least 8 alphabets and there were plenty more. I like them because they look cool from a distance and when you get right up to them they're even more interesting.

Surprised no one posted the Swamplot article about the statues:

But standing — or really, kneeling — guard by the bridge’s southern entrance today are 7 new sculptures by Barcelona artist Jaume Plensa that were given to the city by a small group of donors who aren’t going out of their way to advertise their identity. The name for the artwork: Tolerance.

Photos available at the link:

http://swamplot.com/introducing-the-7-see-thru-alphabet-dudes-guarding-buffalo-bayous-new-rosemont-bridge/2011-02-15/

When I left the office today I could see that the barricades were down on the Allen Parkway side and a couple of people on the bridge. A news van was there so I don't know if it was open, or they were doing a spot or what.

No leaf or debris build-up yet in the art that I could spot, but it shouldn't take long. I think we should turn them into giant change jars, and when they get full, use the money to trade in for more sculpture.

Kinda surprised no one else is talking about the other bridge that it appears that they are building near Scott.

Edit: Sorry for the pics being kinda small. Accidentally deleted the good ones.

2011-03-02_14-58-19_245.jpg

2011-03-02_14-58-49_268.jpg

2011-03-02_14-56-25_830.jpg

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

Oh whoops!! Posted in the wrong thread. What a n00b lol

Edit: Can a moderator please delete this post and move my post about the new bridge to the Brays Bayou thread? Sorry for being a dumbass tongue.gif

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

Well, rode the bridge today. I like it. Very beautiful design and there are already tons of people using it to get across Memorial and the bayou. The only flaws I see/felt so far was that the bridge is a little bumpy... would think it could be a little smoother in some areas but I'd imagine most people that walk or run wouldn't notice as I did on my bike. Also felt that the words "slow" and "stop" at the crossing point where both bridges connected was kinda unnecessary.. no one is going to stop. Not even the cop that was on her bike stopped where it said to stop. I didn't either... I slowed down when was kids crossed my path but that was about it.

Annnyway, here are some pics of the bridge that I took around 5pm:

From upper Memorial

2011-03-12_17-17-08_646.jpg

2011-03-12_17-16-56_842.jpg

Here's the "slow" mark on the concrete I was talking about. That's understandable to have "slow" there, but like I said, no one is going to follow "stop."

2011-03-12_17-16-15_633.jpg

View from the upper bridge:

2011-03-12_17-15-49_195.jpg

...and looking down towards the lower bridge:

2011-03-12_17-15-44_342.jpg

Memorial... looking at upper bridge:

2011-03-12_17-13-48_417.jpg

The entrance to the lower bridge from Memorial:

2011-03-12_17-13-52_943.jpg

Coming from Allen Parkway:

2011-03-12_17-12-48_161.jpg

• Like 2

Well, rode the bridge today. I like it. Very beautiful design and there are already tons of people using it to get across Memorial and the bayou. The only flaws I see/felt so far was that the bridge is a little bumpy... would think it could be a little smoother in some areas but I'd imagine most people that walk or run wouldn't notice as I did on my bike. Also felt that the words "slow" and "stop" at the crossing point where both bridges connected was kinda unnecessary.. no one is going to stop. Not even the cop that was on her bike stopped where it said to stop. I didn't either... I slowed down when was kids crossed my path but that was about it.

Thanks for the story and pics. I set out to cross this bridge as well and did so today. I made the trip from roughly the Richmond @ Montrose intersection and went all the way to the bridge and went west down the trail to Westcott and back. I haven't ventured this far north and west on my bike yet and it was my first time riding along Buffalo Bayou. I must say I was floored by the potential, of course the trails were crap and there was a lot of overgrowth but the future looks bright with that very large donation.

As for the bridge, seems very functional and utilitarian, and there's nothing wrong with that in this case. I wish the bridge continued on over Allen Parkway as it was a bit intimidating and inconvenient to cross Allen Parkway on bike coming from south Montrose, at least for the first time. I took both sections of the bridge and did quite a bit of riding. The weather was perfect and there were tons of people out on their bikes throughout my trips and tons of people on the trail itself. Hopefully next time I can stop and take some pics.

Edited by kdog08

Were you on a road bike? I didn't think it was bumpy, not anymore then other regular sidewalks. I agree with the 'stop' words, pointless.

Overall I like the bridge, nice to have an option to cross without having to go all the way over to Waugh or Sabine. And I bet the 'dog park' will get more crowded since people can walk over now from the apartments on the north side.

As for the bridge, seems very functional and utilitarian, and there's nothing wrong with that in this case. I wish the bridge continued on over Allen Parkway as it was a bit intimidating and inconvenient to cross Allen Parkway on bike coming from south Montrose, at least for the first time.

I agree. The feeder roads were designed for automobiles with little regard for pedestrians or cyclists. As an alert, law-abiding person who has suffered personal injury from careless drivers, your fears are not groundless.

The bridge is cool. I like its low-key design. its lighting, and the new connection it makes for peds and bikers.

I am a bit concerned about the leg which extends to the south side of Memorial Drive. If one should not pay attention to the "SLOW" signs (just saying!:blush: ), one might find oneself in the middle of Memorial Drive where the speed limit is 50 mph. I would like to see a better guard at the foot of that leg.

Edited by Porchman

• 2 weeks later...

http://houston.cultu...idge-architect/

some more pics and an interview with one of the designers

"JM: It remains to be seen how much of an icon it would be. I can't say. I hope so. There are also two more major bridge connections planned for pedestrians across the bayou, with the hope that those bridges will also be pretty exciting, intensive projects. I think there's the possibility to create a string of unique bridges and have them together be an icon."

Edited by DrLan34

• 6 months later...

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8394421

Meeting tonight and Thursday at De Pelchin Children's Center - Buffalo Bayou Partnership is showing off their latest plans for Shepherd to Sabine stretch of Buffalo Bayou.

More info in the project can be found here - http://www.buffalobayou.org/shepherdsabine.html