Navigation Place: Retail Center At 2929 Navigation Blvd.

51 minutes ago, EastEndHeritage said:

It looks like they painted the fence black. IMHO, the red color looked much nicer.

I think the reddish-brown color was from whatever primer they were prepared with.

And, I’ll have to disagree with you. IMHO, the black color compliments the white brick better.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exciting New Gulf Coast Eatery Acadian Coast Sets an Opening Date

The restaurant tentatively plans to make its debut on October 31

An overhead view of a plate of raw oysters garnished with shaved spring onions. Acadian Coast is set to open within the next few weeks.  Acadian Coast

A new Gulf Coast-style seafood and Creole restaurant is slated to open as soon as Halloween weekend.

Acadian Coast, at 2929 Navigation Boulevard, is a joint project between John Avila, of El Burro & the Bull barbecue joint and the Henderson & Kane general store, Bruce Gingrich, who brought Memphis’ Corky’s BBQ to Houston, and Chef Jean-Philippe Gaston, known for his work in several Houston kitchens, including Cove and Kata Robata.

Acadian Coast’s menu will focus on Gulf Coast seafood, with inspiration from American Creole, Southern US and Canada’s Acadian cuisines, culinary traditions that date as far back as the 17th century. As such, the restaurant’s opening menu will feature historically-inspired seafood and game meat dishes, including a rotating menu of fresh raw oysters, lamb heart carpaccio with balsamic and shallots, duck gumbo and four-bone rack of elk ribs cooked with mushrooms and Diane sauce.

In the mornings, Acadian Coast will operate as a bakery and cafe, serving up handcrafted bread, pastries and beignets. The restaurant is planning a tentative opening for Saturday, October 31, thought that date may change.

When it debuts, Acadian Coast will neighbor another Second Ward newcomer. Roostar Grill, known for creative banh mis, is opened a third location in the same shopping center at 2929 Navigation earlier this summer.

https://houston.eater.com/2020/10/22/21527102/acadian-coast-houston-opening-october-2020-navigation-chef-jean-phillippe-gaston

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thedistrict84 said:

Based on the interior, signage, etc. this seems to be a bit more upscale than what I think any of us were expecting.

100% agree. Completely shocked me.

Way better than Corky's. I'll hold my congratulations until I try the morning coffee and beignets, but so far so good.

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Navigation Place: Navigation Blvd at Ennis St.
  • 2 weeks later...

People are entitled to their opinion, even if many here may disagree. If Bruce's posts offend you, I got some really bad news for you about the owner of Roostar...

Let's just be happy that people keep their politics and their shop separate, and leave it at that. 

I think the concern here is that he is using the same account to post about the restaurant AND his little memes. Well, actually I'm not even bothered by the memes, but the fear mongering about voting irregularities is pretty bad.

The coffee shop one is actually worse (business-wise), because it makes me think I can't trust them to take basic safety precautions, so why would I risk going there?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JBTX said:

People are entitled to their opinion, even if many here may disagree. If Bruce's posts offend you, I got some really bad news for you about the owner of Roostar...

Let's just be happy that people keep their politics and their shop separate, and leave it at that. 

You are 💯 correct that people are entitled to their opinion, but I am entitled to decide how and where I spend my money. It is a two way street.

If you can enlighten me about Roostar, I will appreciate it. Not familiar with the ownership.

Edited by EastEndHeritage
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ljchou said:

The owner of the new coffee shop posted this on his story when they first opened. Both Bruce and Hector's posts are in poor taste.

IMG_9300.PNG

Is this for the Oso coffee shop? If so, isn’t that the same family as Doña Maria?

What’s wrong with these people? Do they think people taking it seriously are doing just for fun? I guess pretty soon there won’t be a place to support on Navigation. 

Edited by EastEndHeritage

28 minutes ago, EastEndHeritage said:

You are 💯 correct that people are entitled to their opinion, but I am entitled to decide how and where I spend my money. It is a two way street.

If you can enlighten me about Roostar, I will appreciate it. Not familiar with the ownership.

Absolutely correct that you have that right. And I'm all about it.

Re: Roostar. The owner (owners, really, as it's H/W team) has been described to me by folks who work very closely with them as "Vietnamese Donald Trump in every way you can imagine that to mean."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBTX said:

Re: Roostar. The owner (owners, really, as it's H/W team) has been described to me by folks who work very closely with them as "Vietnamese Donald Trump in every way you can imagine that to mean."

That is far more common than you might think. And, like many other things, it's a bit more nuanced than the usual binary red/blue tropes.

Support for Trump is tearing apart Vietnamese American families

Edited by mkultra25
typo
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

That is far more common than you might think. And, like many other things, it's a bit more nuanced than the usual binary red/blue tropes.

Support for Trump is tearing apart Vietnamese American families

Nah, I'm well aware of that...

Same can be said with Cuban, Venezuelan, and Soviet immigrants/refuges versus their kids.

Edited by JBTX
clarification on status.
  • Like 2

On 11/16/2020 at 11:07 AM, EastEndHeritage said:

I agree with this. I was looking forward to trying this place out. After seeing the posts, I am less inclined. 

• Like 2

I have lots of friends that have different viewpoints on politics than I do and we can discuss it with little issue. 

if someone owns a business and uses it to share their viewpoint, that is at their own peril cause some people find that offensive. 

my personal opinion is that as long as they keep away from personal attacks, then I don't care, we are a nation of different opinions and I am glad we all get to express those opinions freely.

• Like 4

On 11/16/2020 at 11:07 AM, EastEndHeritage said:

100%. I don't have to give my money to people who I disagree with. It's what they would probably call "cancel culture" but I prefer to call it "the free market."

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...