The Abandoned Astrodome And Its Future

gambitx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I think for now, the plan to turn this into an underground parking garage is a great idea. 

It it keeps the Dome upright, functional, buys time for a bigger plan and (hopefully) will turn a profit. All while not taxing local residents - although I wish the tax plan they have would expire once it's not needed anymore.

Pretty much all the pie in the sky ideas are still feasible with this garage plan.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

COMMISSIONERS COURT PRESERVES ASTRODOME;
AUTHORIZES MAJOR REVITALIZATION PROJECT
Court Members Unanimously Approve $105 Million Plan
To Raise Floor, Add Parking and Save Iconic Structure

Harris County Commissioners Court voted unanimously today to preserve and revitalize one of the most famous buildings in the United States, agreeing on a $105 million plan to raise the Astrodome floor, provide two levels of underground parking and convert the building's 550,000 square feet into useable public space.

Court members unanimously authorized the Office of the County Engineer to spend $10.5 million on the plan's initial engineering and architectural phase.

The vote was a landmark step in preserving the Astrodome, the first ever indoor baseball stadium and home to some of the nation's most memorable sports and entertainment events. The next step will be to present the plan to the Texas Historical Commission, which must approve any substantive alterations to the 51-year-old county-owned structure.

Under the plan approved today, the county will spend $105 million to raise the Astrodome floor 30 feet to ground level and install 1,400 underground parking spaces. Numerous studies and recommendations have shown that elevating the floor to ground level vastly improves accessibility and the ability to redevelop and use the Dome's interior, and the increased parking will generate more revenue for that redevelopment.

The county will spend a maximum of $35 million from the general fund on the development. The remaining $70 million will come from hotel occupancy tax and parking revenue. The taxpayers' share may be lowered even further through tax increment reinvestment zone (TIRZ) and lease revenue, as well as historical tax credits - meaning their cost to save the Astrodome would be even less than the $35 million estimated demolition cost.

"The Astrodome's days of sitting idle and abandoned are over," said County Judge Ed Emmett. "Instead, Harris County's most recognized building will again be proud and useful - as host to thousands of area residents attending a variety of business and community events. Hundreds of people worked very hard to see that happen, and I'm proud that this day has finally arrived."

• Like 3

Its at least a good first step! Better than nothing. It buys more time for further development of ideas for the future. I still think an indoor park would be awesome. I wonder if they are still proposing that. Even if they are going to propose that idea, raising the floor to ground level is a must.

With that being said though it seems we are carrying on the tradition of turning old buildings into parking garages -.- Some things never change.

4 hours ago, Luminare said:

Its at least a good first step! Better than nothing. It buys more time for further development of ideas for the future. I still think an indoor park would be awesome. I wonder if they are still proposing that. Even if they are going to propose that idea, raising the floor to ground level is a must.

With that being said though it seems we are carrying on the tradition of turning old buildings into parking garages -.- Some things never change.

What old buildings have we turned into parking garages?  I can think of one and part of another.  Hardly a tradition.

Edited by Houston19514

On 9/28/2016 at 7:54 AM, Subdude said:

It's not really clear to me what the modifications entail.  Will they be ripping out the seating?  It did say they want to retain the outer concourse.

I thought they already ripped out all the seating and auctioned it off

• Like 1

On 9/29/2016 at 2:59 PM, cspwal said:

I thought they already ripped out all the seating and auctioned it off

When they had the open house last year, quite a few of the seats in the top-level nosebleed sections were still in place. Everything else on the levels below that had been removed. 

20 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I think they've sold another batch of seats since the open house.

Yeah, they did. I'm not sure if they sold all of the seats that have been pulled to date, or if they held some back for yet another sale. I expect they'll have another one eventually as I can't see them leaving the remaining seats in place, and there's clearly been a lot of interest every time they've offered some.

• 4 months later...

New bill could could hinder Astrodome plans

A planned bill in the Texas legislature could have serious implications on plans to redevelop the Astrodome.

State Senator John Whitmire, D-Houston, plans to propose a bill next week that would require Harris County voters to approve a county project to raise the floor of the Astrodome to install parking, the Houston Chronicle reports.

Harris County voters previously shot down a $217 million plan to renovate the Astrodome. However, it was recently given a State Antiquities Landmark designation, something that has been in the works since 2014.

Whitmire's argument is that because Harris County voters have already struck down plans to renovate the Dome, voter approval should be required for any new construction, the Chronicle reports.

John McClain had an article in the Chronicle in which he stated that if Houston wanted to host another Super Bowl, we needed to make upgrades to NRG. Surprisingly, the stadium is already 16 years old and a bunch of new stadiums have been built or are being built throughout the US since. He proposed using money slated for the Astrodome for refurbishing for this instead, although he didn't specify what upgrades were needed at this point. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Sunstar said:

John McClain had an article in the Chronicle in which he stated that if Houston wanted to host another Super Bowl, we needed to make upgrades to NRG. Surprisingly, the stadium is already 16 years old and a bunch of new stadiums have been built or are being built throughout the US since. He proposed using money slated for the Astrodome for refurbishing for this instead, although he didn't specify what upgrades were needed at this point. 

But, of course!  The Billionaires Boys Club must have the the best (as long as the upgrades are done with taxpayer dollars).  Billionaires don't become billionaires by spending their own money.  

• Like 6