The Abandoned Astrodome And Its Future

gambitx

I figured this would already be posted here. The comments, as always, are entertaining.

http://www.chron.com/houston/article/New-Urban-Land-Institute-plan-for-Astrodome-calls-6153207.php#photo-7291846

"Unknown conspirators planning to use public funds to resurrect a public facility to enrich themselves. Has this EVER happened before?" - Scorpioid

:D

I'm extremely glad the Chron.com comments have been a black hole of sucking in all the crazies, keep them off this site. Once in a while, there is some insightful/constructive comment but most of the time it immediately gets drowned out by a 600ft. tidal wave of complete chaos.

The sketches in the slide show made me grin. I'm not 100% behind the whole park idea but at least they have a plan and a vision. right?

• Like 1

Think they should figure out how to somehow get Disney to take over the dome, turn it into a regional draw. They're really the only ones capable of pulling off something like the county wants.

I'm only half unserious about that.

The proposal is all fine and dandy, but if the earlier rehab (the one with the mini-dome) was voted down then how would this succeed?  Reading it I get the feeling they're still groping for ideas (hydroponics?), which of course has been the problem all along.

I think it would help if they had confirmed funding for part of it prior to the vote. From personal donations, to state and national help, to money thrown in from the Rodeo and Texans. And then, to have a clearly worded ballot.

:D

I'm extremely glad the Chron.com comments have been a black hole of sucking in all the crazies, keep them off this site. Once in a while, there is some insightful/constructive comment but most of the time it immediately gets drowned out by a 600ft. tidal wave of complete chaos.

The sketches in the slide show made me grin. I'm not 100% behind the whole park idea but at least they have a plan and a vision. right?

I'm 100% behind the vision, but man they really need to elevate their game when it comes to visuals! They need to hire a design firm to really sell the idea. These sketches make it look like a cartoonish idea far off and away like some forgotten dream. I love hand drawn stuff, but this has no power behind it and looks very devoid of life and detail which is how you are going to sell this idea. I understand too that this is still very conceptual, but this could still be way better. They really need to step outside of texas...no the country to get an outsiders opinion and vision on how this would work.

I agree about Chron.com though, man that comment section is horrible D: ! I think the youtube comment section is more civil! That's saying something...

EDIT: I right now proclaim that they should bring in the firm BIG to do this! Just google BIG's plans for Google's now HQ....that would answer any questions about what they can do.

Edited by Luminare

I'm 100% behind the vision, but man they really need to elevate their game when it comes to visuals! They need to hire a design firm to really sell the idea. These sketches make it look like a cartoonish idea far off and away like some forgotten dream. I love hand drawn stuff, but this has no power behind it and looks very devoid of life and detail which is how you are going to sell this idea. I understand too that this is still very conceptual, but this could still be way better. They really need to step outside of texas...no the country to get an outsiders opinion and vision on how this would work.

I agree about Chron.com though, man that comment section is horrible D: ! I think the youtube comment section is more civil! That's saying something...

EDIT: I right now proclaim that they should bring in the firm BIG to do this! Just google BIG's plans for Google's now HQ....that would answer any questions about what they can do.

In the article it mentiones a chunk of the funds would be going to underground parking, is NRG park in a desperate need? Why not use those funds to hold an international design competition, bring in some international attention and press?

Edit: I know the park idea has some serious foundation for the next life cycle of the dome, but why stop at making it special just because it's inside the dome, why not make the park so unique and special that it becomes a landmark within itself? Those sketches reminded me of high school rodeo art meets grand Texas theme park.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 3

The Houston Press sums it up well.

New $243 Million Astrodome Renovation Plan a Hodgepodge of Recycled Ideas

By Jeff Balke Tue., Mar. 24 2015 at 9:00 AM When the Urban Land Institute, a Washington, D.C.-based organization, released its reporton Monday detailing what it recommended for preserving the Astrodome, it sounded an awful lot like what had been previously proposed. The suggestions included a large indoor park, meeting space for the massive annual Offshore Technology Conference, an area for Rodeo events, a history museum, a pre-game activity center for Texans games and even additional parking buried beneath the structure. The only former suggestions not represented were an indoor amusement park, a luxury hotel and a giant fake ski slope.

In all, the proposed renovations were rather underwhelming considering the iconic nature of the building. I am someone who has written about preserving the old gal for future generations and I respect the findings of the ULI, but I have to wonder just who they surveyed and how much influence the plans already on the table had on their findings.  The problem is the ideas weren't all that creative or bold, and they came from disparate parties without any central -- never mind determined -- leadership. And there are legitimate questions that spring to mind when reading the 40-page report: Who are these 75 mystery tastemakers the Urban Land Institute surveyed? How were they chosen? What is their stake in this process?

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/news/2015/03/new_243_million_astrodome_renovation_plan_a_hodgepodge_of_recycled_ideas.php 

The Houston Press sums it up well.

New $243 Million Astrodome Renovation Plan a Hodgepodge of Recycled Ideas

By Jeff Balke Tue., Mar. 24 2015 at 9:00 AM When the Urban Land Institute, a Washington, D.C.-based organization, released its reporton Monday detailing what it recommended for preserving the Astrodome, it sounded an awful lot like what had been previously proposed. The suggestions included a large indoor park, meeting space for the massive annual Offshore Technology Conference, an area for Rodeo events, a history museum, a pre-game activity center for Texans games and even additional parking buried beneath the structure. The only former suggestions not represented were an indoor amusement park, a luxury hotel and a giant fake ski slope.

In all, the proposed renovations were rather underwhelming considering the iconic nature of the building. I am someone who has written about preserving the old gal for future generations and I respect the findings of the ULI, but I have to wonder just who they surveyed and how much influence the plans already on the table had on their findings.  The problem is the ideas weren't all that creative or bold, and they came from disparate parties without any central -- never mind determined -- leadership. And there are legitimate questions that spring to mind when reading the 40-page report: Who are these 75 mystery tastemakers the Urban Land Institute surveyed? How were they chosen? What is their stake in this process?

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/news/2015/03/new_243_million_astrodome_renovation_plan_a_hodgepodge_of_recycled_ideas.php 

Because any organization from Washington DC is going to be an organization that is creative, innovative, and completely non-biased :P They had this coming. It is by far the most conservative idea for the dome, but how about this is the start of something great. Lets just get the dome saved and surround it with something that will bring people in in the first place. I'm sure there are plenty of ideas that can be implemented, but this one really makes sense and is a little bit more down to earth. After 2025 when this project is slated to be completed then maybe it might be the stage for a large international fair or event which could help transform it further. Until then priority one should be to save the dome and not only save it but to save it from an entire generation of voters and politicians who are still very much ignorant of its mark on Houston's identity, and the world at large. Baby steps! Create a master plan and just get the ball rolling and you can always tweak and upscale the project later.

Needs moar hipsters! 

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Architectural-renderings-reveal-narrow-vision-of-6106932.php

For anyone still pondering the relative level of civility in YouTube comments, this pretty much sums it up (seriously NSFW):

Edited by mkultra25
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else go to the 50th anniversary?  It was a heck of a turn out - gives me hope that some people actually care.  Or maybe just want free stuff?

The line to enter the dome was absolutely ridiculous, probably one of the longer lines I've ever seen.  Yet people were patiently waiting to get inside.  Unfortunately, with 2 small kids that was not an option for us

• Like 2

I went and it was great!! I am 20 years old so I don't remember the dome that much except for a couple of astros games and a concert my dad took me. I waited around an hour to go into the dome and it was totally worth the wait. The building have real potential and Judge Emmett had a great marketing idea to have this party.  The dome is a spectacular piece of architecture and that roof is incredible I really hope judge Emmett idea of a indoor park becomes a reality.

934836_10205352172620056_180407099925057

• Like 6

Not sure if it was intentional or not (probably was), but this definitely seemed like a great PR stunt.  Hopefully they can structure this new indoor park deal so that the taxpayers won't see a $200+ million bill.

The people commenting on Chron must be the same folks that rail on Galveston at every opportunity.  Must be a lot of fun at parties...

Edit (again):  The Guardian has a pretty nice article out on the Astrodome

Edited by OkieEric
  • Like 1

Anyone else go to the 50th anniversary? It was a heck of a turn out - gives me hope that some people actually care. Or maybe just want free stuff?

The line to enter the dome was absolutely ridiculous, probably one of the longer lines I've ever seen. Yet people were patiently waiting to get inside. Unfortunately, with 2 small kids that was not an option for us

I went. Got there at 6, line had already wrapped around the Dome. Skipped food & drink to try and shorten an obvious wait time ahead. Waited 3.5 hours ...but was worth it.

I agree, this was a great PR move that may restore some faded nostalgia in order to land some new voters in favor of a possible renovation vote. Most in line talked of wanting to save the place.

Video.

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/586358791274307584

Some pics.

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/586357249573920769

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/586356735113203712

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/586356351380496384

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/586311348251860992

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2

Haha. I saw that Elvis impersonator. Also saw Jose Cruz, Tal Smith, and this guy with a rotary phone hanging from his belt.:

16907085548_0075fa1ed1_o.jpg20150409_183120 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

We arrived about 5:20 (almost straight from the Astros game) and waited in line an hour and 45 minutes. Me and the ol lady took turns on the free beer runs until they ran out.

This person on flikr has some good photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/coogie/

I spotted myself in this picture he took like Waldo.

17068799776_130712e984_k.jpgAstrodome 50th Birthday by Arie's Photography, on Flickr

• Like 2

Really wish I could have gone, but got stuck at work. This was totally a PR stunt, but it was brilliant! I mean look at the draw! That is amazing. The best way to get it out there is to bring people back. I think people just have this mindset of a tired old building thats sucking away taxpayer money and while it is that it's such incredible space to go into. Most people haven't even been on the floor of the stadium and have only been in the seats so they have no idea how expansive it really is. This is a great first step in getting the dome a secured future.

Guess who NotLarryDierker caught in the dome?

that's right.

LarryDierker!!

16908624479_a0b8e9c48c_o.jpg20150409_192500 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

He was walking around the crowd just saying hi and signing autographs. Very cool guy and seemed very happy to meet everyone.

I'm glad to hear we weren't crazy for giving up on the line. 3.5 hours with two young kids would have been impossible. We did score some free food and 50th memorabilia cups though.

3.5 hours? Glad I didn't go. I hate long lines. Besides I've been in there at least a hundred times in my life and would probably been very disappointed to see it in such despair.

Enjoying all the pictures though and would have liked to have seen Cruuuuuuuuuuuuzzzzz.

Got there a few minutes before 7pm and waited in line for a little over two hours before getting in. I figured there'd be a bigger turnout than expected, but was still surprised at how many people showed up. Wish I'd gotten there earlier, as I'd have liked to have scored one of the t-shirts they were handing out.  

• Like 1

It's been abandoned for what? 12years?

IMO, It is now time to decide: bulldoze it or re-develop it. Failing the later, the former should be done with deliberate speed.

I'd rather not see the Astrodome gone, but frankly, the fact that it's still standing since the Astros left is rather fortunate to say the least.

• Like 1

I'd rather not see the Astrodome gone, but frankly, the fact that it's still standing since the Astros left is rather fortunate to say the least.

I agree.

Bit, enough is enough, IMO. Time for action is at hand. If there are viable, credible plans to re-develop the dome, let's vet them and see it they work. If not, I see little point it leaving the dome to sit there and decay for another 13 years.

Heck, if you leave it there long enough, there will be two stadiums to implode when reliant is deemed "no longer suitable" by the Gods of Sport.

As long as they get crowds like these then I don't see this issue solving itself in an easy manner. Sure, they got a ridiculous crowd, but how many people in Houston actually care to see it live on? I think voters decided that last November.

Demolish it. It's a glorified dome, nothing more.

I believe the vote was to spend $217 million to a convention hall, not to "not demolish it". Those are two significantly different things, despite some media chatter to the contrary.

• Like 2

Well yeah but that doesn't change what I said. We voted that we didn't want to spend money on restoring it. I'm sure people saw the pics but do you think they really cared about the details?

I know the vote wasn't to demolish it, obviously. I do think it's time to knock the damn thing down though. In another 50 years, who's gonna care about it anyway?