The Abandoned Astrodome And Its Future

gambitx

It would break my heart to see something as cheap and trashy as a fake snow mountain inside Houston's one undisputed, revolutionary architectural icon. I'd sooner they make it a flea market or a bingo parlor first.

A multi-purposed enclosed green space is the best idea I've heard yet. Glad to know there is a serious force behind it.

If Houston has to have a fake ski zone, stick it out in New Caney with Grand Texas and EarthQuest and hide it behind the tall pines so no one has to see it.

• Like 1

It would break my heart to see something as cheap and trashy as a fake snow mountain inside Houston's one undisputed, revolutionary architectural icon. I'd sooner they make it a flea market or a bingo parlor first. A multi-purposed enclosed green space is the best idea I've heard yet. Glad to know there is a serious force behind it. If Houston has to have a fake ski zone, stick it out in New Caney with Grand Texas and EarthQuest and hide it behind the tall pines so no one has to see it.

But we already have a ton of green space in this city. Something we won't have for next thousand years or so is snow. Skiing is amazing, and we obviously don't have anything close by. A sub-zero bar, kids building real snowmen, actually enjoying the pleasantries of winter without having the dangers of icy roads. Would that really be so terrible?

• Like 1

It would break my heart to see something as cheap and trashy as a fake snow mountain inside Houston's one undisputed, revolutionary architectural icon. I'd sooner they make it a flea market or a bingo parlor first. A multi-purposed enclosed green space is the best idea I've heard yet. Glad to know there is a serious force behind it. If Houston has to have a fake ski zone, stick it out in New Caney with Grand Texas and EarthQuest and hide it behind the tall pines so no one has to see it.

Green space? Thats what the outdoors is for. If you want to see a forest head towards The Woodlands and Conroe or somewhere else. A Ski resort would be a major attraction, filling hotels, boosting local businesses and so on.

@ Montrose - Yes. If these ski-mountain things become popular they will be common in every city just like water parks. Who travels to hotels or to another far away city to go to water parks? Even in the metroplex the proposed areas for these things are always way out in the burbs where they belong.

The Astrodome is unique. An indoor park on that scale would be unique. I would never compare an indoor climate controlled park inside the Astrodome with any other green space in Houston or America. There are other indoor parks for sure, Moody Gardens has them. But what would happen in a space like the Astrodome is that large events could be held inside. Concerts, conventions, festivals ect. all comfortably climate controlled and weatherproof. Many people could and would use it. Hotels would fill up for events held inside.

Skiing has limited appeal. The ski mountain thing may be fun (for some) but it is an eyesore. I hold more reverence for the Astrodome than to put a glorified water slide, roller coaster or any other cheesy fly-by-night amusement facility in there.

However, if the ski thing was one of the only things that kept them from tearing down the Astrodome I would be for it. And to be fair, I've heard worse suggestions than the ski carny attraction idea - but not many.

Putting a fake ski mountain inside the Astrodome would be like putting a Shepard Fairey doodle inside the Louvre. Anyway the likelihood of anything this ridiculous happening is ZERO so don't even worry about it.

Edited by SMF

@ Montrose - Yes. If these ski-mountain things become popular they will be common in every city just like water parks. Who travels to hotels or to another far away city to go to water parks? Even in the metroplex the proposed areas for these things are always way out in the burbs where they belong.

The Astrodome is unique. An indoor park on that scale would be unique. I would never compare an indoor climate controlled park inside the Astrodome with any other green space in Houston or America. There are other indoor parks for sure, Moody Gardens has them. But what would happen in a space like the Astrodome is that large events could be held inside. Concerts, conventions, festivals ect. all comfortably climate controlled and weatherproof. Many people could and would use it. Hotels would fill up for events held inside.

Skiing has limited appeal. The ski mountain thing may be fun (for some) but it is an eyesore. I hold more reverence for the Astrodome than to put a glorified water slide, roller coaster or any other cheesy fly-by-night amusement facility in there.

However, if the ski thing was one of the only things that kept them from tearing down the Astrodome I would be for it. And to be fair, I've heard worse suggestions than the ski carny attraction idea - but not many.

Putting a fake ski mountain inside the Astrodome would be like putting a Shepard Fairey doodle inside the Louvre. Anyway the likelihood of anything this ridiculous happening is ZERO so don't even worry about it.

Whose to say they couldn't have concerts in the cold? Skiing and snowboarding are Olympic sports, compared to riding down a tube on a water slide. Of course it would be used locally. You really think people would travel from across the globe/country to go to an indoor park? I'm not trying to belittle your opinion I am asking in all sincerity. We already have concerts and conventions all comfortably weatherproof and climate controlled (GRB, Toyota Center, Reliant Hall, Reliant Stadium, the list goes on).

Being able to enjoy real winter weather in our sub-tropic city is something that is missing. 

Why are you so against this idea? A Ski Resort doesn't have to be cheesy, it could be a fun and wonderful get away from our unforgivable summers and very temperate winters.

Edit: As for the eyesore, I'm not proposing we construct some aspen like structure outside the dome or change any of the exterior.

Edited by Montrose1100

@ Montrose - Do you really think people would travel across the country to go to a fake ski mountain if they can go to one in their own town? Or better yet, travel to the real thing? - Not trying to belittle your opinion either.

I like that you are thinking about attracting tourist. And if they spared no expense with the ski idea and used genuine fake snow instead of plastic pellets AND they don't start building these in every city in America, I could maybe warm up to the idea. But like I hinted to in my earlier post, the main reason I'm against the idea (since you asked) is that I hold the Astrodome in very high regard for it's uniqueness. I would prefer that anything they build inside the dome to attract people will compliment the midcentury architecture without competing with it or taking away from it. Or in this case, make a joke of it.

I know others don't share my reverence for the dome, but I do think of it as Houston's own Eiffel Tower. Can you imagine if someone built a roller coaster on the Eiffel Tower because 'it's fun' and 'may attract more tourist'. Maybe it would. But it would also cheapen it. Thinking of the Stratosphere Tower in Vegas.

Like I said, my first priority would be saving the dome at any cost, and if a fake ski resort would save the structure, I'd change my tune very quickly. And to answer your question - Yes, I do think people would travel across the country to go to a special event held inside a 9.5 acre indoor park in the historical Houston Astrodome if they do it right, keep it natural and don't use plastic trees. Looking straight up, the view of the ceiling from the middle of the floor is to die for. If it was surrounded by living trees, living grass and a babbling brook it would be even awesom-er IMO.

The ski thing has it's place in Houston. Out with the other not-too-unique family-style attractions on the outskirts like every other city in America - New Caney sounds perfect for this - no lie.

Edited by SMF

I guarantee you that a HAIF poll is not an accurate sampling of the residents in Houston. HAIF is fun, but I don't believe the comments here are reflective of the real world in even the slightest capacity. Most people outside this menagerie never even heard of GFR. Most would find the idea silly. Intriguing maybe, but ultimately cheap and cheesy.

Correct. (congrats) The Astrodome is not the Eiffel Tower, but it is the closest thing with have to it's uniqueness and distinctiveness. No other building in this town comes close to it's fame. Don't treat it like some cheap road-side attraction. The L.A. Times doesn't.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/nov/05/entertainment/la-et-cm-astrodome-houston-preservation-20131105

Edited by SMF

I guarantee you that a HAIF poll is not an accurate sampling of the residents in Houston. HAIF is fun, but I don't believe the comments here are reflective of the real world in even the slightest capacity. Most people outside this menagerie never even heard of GFR. Most would find the idea silly. Intriguing maybe, but ultimately cheap and cheesy.

Correct. (congrats) The Astrodome is not the Eiffel Tower, but it is the closest thing with have to it's uniqueness and distinctiveness. No other building in this town comes close to it's fame. Don't treat it like some cheap road-side attraction. The L.A. Times doesn't.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/nov/05/entertainment/la-et-cm-astrodome-houston-preservation-20131105

*applause*

It's funny because I used to loathe this thing so much, but I honestly think it was because I was always around people that didn't like it (and I'm not quite sure they knew either). Sometimes one of the neatest aspects of our city, which is our endless pursuit of 'the new', sometimes clouds our thinking about our past and if we don't see an immediate benefit that what has been left behind then we simply throw it away. It wasn't until I got to architecture school that I really began to appreciate its grandeur and wonder. I would beat that if this thing was stripped down to bare bones it would actually look even more impressive and if you ever see construction photos of this thing than it truly does become a Houston Eiffel Tower. Funny too that not many know that the Eiffel Tower wasn't even suppose to exist beyond the World's Fair, but it became so popular that it eventually stayed and today is the symbol Paris if not all of France. For many many years, the astrodome was a symbol of Houston and in some ways still is. It literally encapsulates everything about this city, and rarely do cities have a single building that does this. So you can count at least one that supports your opinion on this. It's also why I support the park idea for one thing and that's because it would certainly be more dignifying than some silly ski resort. In fact I can't think of anything more opposite than what it should be turned into! Oh look at Houston the A/C capital turns an entire stadium into the Alps -.- It's like if a famous stand-up comedian now old and retired resorted to being a clown at a little kids birthday party....

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

fortunately for you the only way you would ever have to see that "cheap trashy fake snow mountain" is if you actually went there and stepped inside the dome.

an enclosed green space is quite possibly the WORST idea ive heard yet. how boring??

yes, this could work in New Caney. but it could also work IN the dome (again, where it WOULDNT BE SEEN), a space that is currently decaying and is under consideration for demolition because it lacks a use or need anymore in case you hadnt heard.

indoor ski slopes have been around since the 1920s, yet you dont see them in every city across the country. while the technology has improved, they are still very expensive and something most cities couldnt afford to build or have the population to sustain, unless they are one of the few major metros. almost 100 years later and there has only been ONE indoor ski slope built in North America. in New Jersey. 

why would an indoor park "of that scale" be unique? it would be like the size of a football field.. 

again, a "ski mountain" inside the dome would be just that.. INSIDE. you wouldnt ever see it unless you visited it.

seriously? the indoor ski idea is one of the best ideas ive heard for the dome. and it would be perfect for Houston.

@ Montrose - Do you really think people would travel across the country to go to a fake ski mountain if they can go to one in their own town? Or better yet, travel to the real thing? - Not trying to belittle your opinion either.

I like that you are thinking about attracting tourist. And if they spared no expense with the ski idea and used genuine fake snow instead of plastic pellets AND they don't start building these in every city in America, I could maybe warm up to the idea. But like I hinted to in my earlier post, the main reason I'm against the idea (since you asked) is that I hold the Astrodome in very high regard for it's uniqueness. I would prefer that anything they build inside the dome to attract people will compliment the midcentury architecture without competing with it or taking away from it. Or in this case, make a joke of it.

I know others don't share my reverence for the dome, but I do think of it as Houston's own Eiffel Tower. Can you imagine if someone built a roller coaster on the Eiffel Tower because 'it's fun' and 'may attract more tourist'. Maybe it would. But it would also cheapen it. Thinking of the Stratosphere Tower in Vegas.

Like I said, my first priority would be saving the dome at any cost, and if a fake ski resort would save the structure, I'd change my tune very quickly. And to answer your question - Yes, I do think people would travel across the country to go to a special event held inside a 9.5 acre indoor park in the historical Houston Astrodome if they do it right, keep it natural and don't use plastic trees. Looking straight up, the view of the ceiling from the middle of the floor is to die for. If it was surrounded by living trees, living grass and a babbling brook it would be even awesom-er IMO.

The ski thing has it's place in Houston. Out with the other not-too-unique family-style attractions on the outskirts like every other city in America - New Caney sounds perfect for this - no lie.

yes, i really do. because they cant go to one in their town, and wont any time soon with them costing hundreds of millions of dollars to build. i dont care if you live in colorado, in the summer time you cant ski or snowboard because there is NO SNOW. it would be a hit to come down to Houston and hit the slopes while its 95* outside in the middle of July. and then you could hit the beach the next day. how cool is that?

i still dont see how a ski slope would make a joke out of the dome. it would be a novelty unlike anything else in Houston.

believe me, i share your reverence for the dome.. i would just rather see them put it to use with something that would be popular and unique rather than turn it into some boring indoor green space (who the heck goes to a park to stay indoors anyways? isnt the whole idea to get outdoors and get some fresh air?) that would be very underutilized. you are clearly looking at this wrong. no one is talking about building a ski slope ON the dome. we are saying it would be cool to build IN the dome. you do realize they threw a restaurant in the Eiffel Tower to attract more tourists, right? but its INSIDE the structure, so its not a big deal. just like the ski slope would be.

you seriously think people would travel across the country to attend an event in a 9.5 acre (where did you get that number btw? it housed a football field.. hardly 9.5 acres) indoor park? im not even sure my parents would drive up from Lake Jackson to go to an indoor park in the dome, much less from thousands of miles away. not unless the Beatles were performing or something. it would be a huge failure. its in the middle of one of the largest parking lots in the world. in a crappy part of town with not many residents. you would literally have to drive across town to go to this indoor park unless you live on a rail line. its not easily accessible to the public. but people would drive from near and far no questions asked to go to an indoor ski park. probably because you cant just walk to one of those in your own neighborhood...

well at least we agree on something.. the ski idea would be perfect for Houston. i would just rather see it be IN the city. i think you have it backwards.. who wants to drive out to the suburbs to use these cool amenities? the only reason they arent in the city is because land prices are too high. but if you reuse existing/unutilized space then maybe they can swing the financing for building these big extravagant developments in the inner city. you probably hate the idea of a TopGolf on top of the George R Brown Convention Center too.. (that was before your time on HAIF so you may not of heard that one yet)

• Like 4

One more comment about this ski resort thing, This ski resort thing can be best described as a fad and nothing more. If you want a ski resort then build something new that best serves that function. Whatever goes on or inside this dome should be long lasting which will further justify the Dome's continued existence. Once that Ski Resort fails then what happens next? Are we going to throw in some roller coasters? 3 ring circus? Whatever future attraction is a world fad? The park, while not the sexy choice of the day, is the choice that will better hold up through decades to come. What should be featured is the Dome as a landmark not something that plays second fiddle to what is happening underneath it.

• Like 1

fortunately for you the only way you would ever have to see that "cheap trashy fake snow mountain" is if you actually went there and stepped inside the dome.

an enclosed green space is quite possibly the WORST idea ive heard yet. how boring??

yes, this could work in New Caney. but it could also work IN the dome (again, where it WOULDNT BE SEEN), a space that is currently decaying and is under consideration for demolition because it lacks a use or need anymore in case you hadnt heard.

indoor ski slopes have been around since the 1920s, yet you dont see them in every city across the country. while the technology has improved, they are still very expensive and something most cities couldnt afford to build or have the population to sustain, unless they are one of the few major metros. almost 100 years later and there has only been ONE indoor ski slope built in North America. in New Jersey. 

why would an indoor park "of that scale" be unique? it would be like the size of a football field.. 

again, a "ski mountain" inside the dome would be just that.. INSIDE. you wouldnt ever see it unless you visited it.

seriously? the indoor ski idea is one of the best ideas ive heard for the dome. and it would be perfect for Houston.

yes, i really do. because they cant go to one in their town, and wont any time soon with them costing hundreds of millions of dollars to build. i dont care if you live in colorado, in the summer time you cant ski or snowboard because there is NO SNOW. it would be a hit to come down to Houston and hit the slopes while its 95* outside in the middle of July. and then you could hit the beach the next day. how cool is that?

i still dont see how a ski slope would make a joke out of the dome. it would be a novelty unlike anything else in Houston.

believe me, i share your reverence for the dome.. i would just rather see them put it to use with something that would be popular and unique rather than turn it into some boring indoor green space (who the heck goes to a park to stay indoors anyways? isnt the whole idea to get outdoors and get some fresh air?) that would be very underutilized. you are clearly looking at this wrong. no one is talking about building a ski slope ON the dome. we are saying it would be cool to build IN the dome. you do realize they threw a restaurant in the Eiffel Tower to attract more tourists, right? but its INSIDE the structure, so its not a big deal. just like the ski slope would be.

you seriously think people would travel across the country to attend an event in a 9.5 acre (where did you get that number btw? it housed a football field.. hardly 9.5 acres) indoor park? im not even sure my parents would drive up from Lake Jackson to go to an indoor park in the dome, much less from thousands of miles away. not unless the Beatles were performing or something. it would be a huge failure. its in the middle of one of the largest parking lots in the world. in a crappy part of town with not many residents. you would literally have to drive across town to go to this indoor park unless you live on a rail line. its not easily accessible to the public. but people would drive from near and far no questions asked to go to an indoor ski park. probably because you cant just walk to one of those in your own neighborhood...

well at least we agree on something.. the ski idea would be perfect for Houston. i would just rather see it be IN the city. i think you have it backwards.. who wants to drive out to the suburbs to use these cool amenities? the only reason they arent in the city is because land prices are too high. but if you reuse existing/unutilized space then maybe they can swing the financing for building these big extravagant developments in the inner city. you probably hate the idea of a TopGolf on top of the George R Brown Convention Center too.. (that was before your time on HAIF so you may not of heard that one yet)

NO!

I assume some of y'all put the ski resort in the same boat as theme park and circus. I can understand because it would be artificial. I don't see it in that same light. I see it as a chance to enjoy a sport in this town that we currently cannot.

This. It's one more amenity we currently dont have, while also saving the dome.

Oh, and thanks for that very informative and lengthy response SMF... :rolleyes:

Why that's tackier than the Dallas skyline. O well, at least they never covered it in fake snow and tried to get people to ski down it. Don't worry Paris, I still think your tower rocks even if someone was allowed to cheapen it for a little while.

My regard for the Houston Astrodome wouldn't diminish if there was a plastic snow hill inside it either. And to be honest, Cloud, I really, REALLY am not that worried about a ski zone inside the dome - besides just silly, the idea is way too far fetched for anyone to take seriously. You might as well propose putting the worlds largest fiberglass dinosaur in it and market it as the world largest family friendly interstate truck stop.

When it comes to the Astrodome, I'm much more worried about the wrecking ball than I am in this silly non-sense.

Edited by SMF

Are we really comparing the Eiffel Tower to the Astrodome here? lol c'mon guys chill out it's just a giant bowl with a roof. 

The structural system yes. The rest pfffft no. Each is unique for its own reasons, but as a structural achievement....its up there.

What is the Eiffel Tower? Its just a collection of old oxidized steel beams shaped like a droopy letter A.

When people compare the Astrodome to the Eiffel Tower they are not comparing the amount of tourism they bring or fame they have today. They are comparing the architectural breakthroughs that they represent, uniqueness, iconic relevance and the identification with the cities they are in.

Both achieved fame outside their own city. Maybe few people talk about the dome today outside Houston but that wasn't always the case. If you watch old t.v. shows and movies the Astrodome was referenced all the time.

I realize that some people can't get past the fact that in 2014 people from all over the world tour the Eiffel Tower and the Astrodome is mothballed. But if repurposed and marketed correctly, I think the Astrodome could absolutely one day attract the same kind of tourism that the Eiffel Tower currently does. The older the dome gets, the more historically relevant it gets. Believe it or not, not everyone was impressed with the Eiffel Tower when it was built or when it began to show it age either. In fact, a lot of destinations were discarded eye sores before they were reborn as tourist attractions. Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 in San Francisco come to mind.

What I'm saying is that even if the Astrodome never achieves the same type of acclaim that the Eiffel Tower receives, the dome is the closest thing we have to it in Houston. I think of the dome as "HOUSTON'S Eiffel Tower", not as something that competes with the Eiffel Tower as it exist today. At least not yet. Just as people identify the Eiffel Tower with Paris, the Astrodome WAS commonly identified with Houston for years, many years ago, and can be again if directed to. It's all about marketing and repurposing. As long as the building exist, it has the chance to become famous again. If they tear it down it is a lost opportunity FOREVER. Not just for Houston, but for the world - even if the world or Houston doesn't know it yet.

Edited by SMF
  • Like 7

I envision a park that would attract locals and tourists of all ages for walking, people watching, exploring, exercise, thrill seeking, relaxing, birthday parties, weddings, festivals, etc. with the following features:

1. A great lawn for events, picnics, and kids playing.
  2. A lake fed by waterfalls connected to a circular river with small rental boats.
  3. Trees and plants throughout including butterfly gardens.
  4. A Grand Promenade that circles the park and smaller winding trails.
  5. A playground, splash park, and carousel for kids.
  6. A large climbing wall on a “cliff” at the edge of the park.
  7. A mini railroad loop.
  8. A large amphitheater and smaller amphitheater.
  9. Shelters/areas that can be reserved for weddings, birthday parties, meetings, etc.
  10. Loads of unreserved picnic tables and benches.
  11. “Buttes” rising from the floor of the park with tunnels within and “caves” overlooking the park.
  12. Rope bridges and zip lines connecting the tops of the buttes to the cliffs at the edge of the park.
  13. A main plaza area with commercial shops.
  14. Food and drink shops (restaurants, ice cream, snacks, smoothies, bars, etc.).
  15. A bike loop and separate running loop around upper level outer perimeter walkways.

General park admission (and parking) should be free.  Revenues for park upkeep would be partially generated by fees for reserved areas and fees from park businesses such as restaurants, shops, railroad rides, boat rentals, carousel, rock climbing, zip lines, amphitheater events, locker rooms, etc.

The park would be a great place to host large events and festivals up to once a month with music in the amphitheaters and booth areas located all around the Grand Promenade.

A fountain and light show could be developed with water spraying out of islands and buttes into the lake combined with colored lights and projectors for shows visible from many areas in the park.

post-1489-0-42243200-1413992855_thumb.pn

post-1489-0-70960600-1413992900_thumb.pn

• Like 8

I realize that some people can't get past the fact that in 2014 people from all over the world tour the Eiffel Tower and the Astrodome is mothballed. But if repurposed and marketed correctly, I think the Astrodome could absolutely one day attract the same kind of tourism that the Eiffel Tower currently does. The older the dome gets, the more historically relevant it gets. Believe it or not, not everyone was impressed with the Eiffel Tower when it was built or when it began to show it age either. In fact, a lot of destinations were discarded eye sores before they were reborn as tourist attractions. Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 in San Francisco come to mind.

What I'm saying is that even if the Astrodome never achieves the same type of acclaim that the Eiffel Tower receives, the dome is the closest thing we have to it in Houston. I think of the dome as "HOUSTON'S Eiffel Tower", not as something that competes with the Eiffel Tower as it exist today. At least not yet. Just as people identify the Eiffel Tower with Paris, the Astrodome WAS commonly identified with Houston for years, many years ago, and can be again if directed to. It's all about marketing and repurposing. As long as the building exist, it has the chance to become famous again. If they tear it down it is a lost opportunity FOREVER. Not just for Houston, but for the world - even if the world or Houston doesn't know it yet.

Parisians still hate the Eiffel Tower to this day.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Dome but I seriously doubt one day it will be the one of the top visited landmarks in the world. Yes, at the time, the first domed stadium was quite a feat for engineering. But it's just a stadium... 

I get your comparison that it's the closest thing we have to the Eiffel Tower (monument wise). But I think you are romanticizing it beyond comprehension. I would be interested to see your ideas about marketing and re-purposing other than the current indoor park plan. What can be done to not only save this dome but turn it into this future tourist dream? I don't see it. I can't see it (And by all means I have a wild imagination). So please, help me see what you see.

@ On The Other Hand - LOVE IT! That's what I'm talking about.

@ Montrose - Who would have ever guessed in 1933 that Alcatraz would ever be a tourists destination? Or the grungy old beaten up Fisherman's Wharf? Or Ellis Island? I would never try to predict what will be romanticized in the future. They were just ordinary buildings used for practical purposes.

I think the Astrodome has as good a chance as anything standing today to be a top visited landmark in the world in the future, if marketed correctly. It's certainly got a better chance than anything else in Houston. It's got historical relevance. It's big. People have already 'heard' about it outside of Houston. And even if it doesn't become a top visited landmark in the future, it could still be a usable, terrific public space for the locals to enjoy.

I strongly disagree that it's 'just a stadium'. If it was 'just a stadium' we wouldn't be having this discussion. It would have been torn down years ago like Texas Stadium. The Astrodome revolutionized stadiums. It helped put Houston on the map in the 1960's. It made people re-imagine what kinds of events could be held indoors. It represents an engineering milestone and is an unique architectural icon.

About what to do with it... Frankly, at this point, I'm tired of listening to wild ideas and cooler than cool hypotheticals of repurposing of the dome. To me it isn't about coming up with the coolest idea anymore, it's about coming up with the most REALISTIC cool idea that has a better chance of happening against an army of people who would just as soon see it become another 10 acres of additional parking.

People have been dreaming up cool ideas for 15 years and nothing happens. Granted, the park idea does not allow for the coolest or wildest structures to be built inside the dome or cater to any specialize group of people with a particular interest. I know many people love the idea of indoor skiing, water parks or casinos ect., because all of those things are more fun than just going to a park full of boring trees that just stand there and do nothing.

But the park idea works for me because it keeps the dome as an multipurpose usable venue. It's not about building something really cool inside the dome. The dome is already cool. It's about the events and fun activities that would be going on inside the dome - a climate controlled, comfortable environment that also has some notoriety and historic relevance. Do they need living trees and a park environment to hold special events inside the dome? I don't know, but the permanent living park idea certainly sounds more inviting and provides extra reason to want to go there or hold your event there instead of at another large, less ornamental indoor venue.

Holding a public event inside the dome could kind of be like holding a party on the Queen Mary only instead of a party it could be street fairs, big time festivals, farmers markets, concerts, conventions or any other traditionally held outdoor events that people travel to other parts of town to go to for weekend fun. The dome is so big, you could have different events held at once. There may be ideas of what to add inside or new types of events we haven't even thought up yet. The park idea has legs and would allow for growth.

The park idea would allow the dome to return to the days when it attracted a large variety of events. But instead of buying a ticket and sitting in seat to watch athletes and famous people do their stuff, the public would be on the floor, truly interacting with this unique space. Throw in the fact that famous people once did cool things on this ground and it only adds to the fun and novelty of being there.

Edited by SMF
  • Like 2

I envision a park that would attract locals and tourists of all ages for walking, people watching, exploring, exercise, thrill seeking, relaxing, birthday parties, weddings, festivals, etc. with the following features:

1. A great lawn for events, picnics, and kids playing.
  2. A lake fed by waterfalls connected to a circular river with small rental boats.
  3. Trees and plants throughout including butterfly gardens.
  4. A Grand Promenade that circles the park and smaller winding trails.
  5. A playground, splash park, and carousel for kids.
  6. A large climbing wall on a “cliff” at the edge of the park.
  7. A mini railroad loop.
  8. A large amphitheater and smaller amphitheater.
  9. Shelters/areas that can be reserved for weddings, birthday parties, meetings, etc.
  10. Loads of unreserved picnic tables and benches.
  11. “Buttes” rising from the floor of the park with tunnels within and “caves” overlooking the park.
  12. Rope bridges and zip lines connecting the tops of the buttes to the cliffs at the edge of the park.
  13. A main plaza area with commercial shops.
  14. Food and drink shops (restaurants, ice cream, snacks, smoothies, bars, etc.).
  15. A bike loop and separate running loop around upper level outer perimeter walkways.

General park admission (and parking) should be free.  Revenues for park upkeep would be partially generated by fees for reserved areas and fees from park businesses such as restaurants, shops, railroad rides, boat rentals, carousel, rock climbing, zip lines, amphitheater events, locker rooms, etc.

The park would be a great place to host large events and festivals up to once a month with music in the amphitheaters and booth areas located all around the Grand Promenade.

A fountain and light show could be developed with water spraying out of islands and buttes into the lake combined with colored lights and projectors for shows visible from many areas in the park.

attachicon.gifAstrodomeParkColorDrawing3Labeled.png

attachicon.gifAstrodomeParkSection.png

Now this is better! Did you do this yourself?