The Abandoned Astrodome And Its Future

gambitx

Don't want anyone to be put out of business, though I would prefer the Dome to survive another 50 + years.  While the Rodeo will likely survive as long (if not longer), who knows how long the Texans and the NFL will survive?  NFL owners are quite fickle.  I'm just irritated that the Texans, and the Rodeo (both make a lot of money) want to destroy a piece of Houston history at the expense of others.  Yes Houstonians are paying for the Astrodome either way, I'd rather my money go towards saving/repurposing something than destroying it.  At least the Rodeo is not a professional sports team owned by a billionaire... I'll give them that.

The Dome can be saved given the right backer - I truly believe the county/sports authority is not/has not been open to all options.  At the end of the day it will be what it will be.

I honestly believe its best use is for some sort of mixed-use facility incorporating some TMC members and some local university.  My guess is either that idea has been quashed completely, or, the right plan hasn't been proposed yet.  Either way it seems a shame to waste a perfectly good building with that much space for use.

And I never said I didn't think the latest proposal was awful, I just really don't like that silly "mini-Astrodome" its tacky.

Edited by arche_757

So much hate...   After you finish off the Rodeo and the Texans, maybe you can aim to put the Houston Endowment out of business. And then maybe the Brown Foundation.

Why is it that any sort of pointed criticism is automatically categorized as "hate" these days?

And I'd hardly grant either the Rodeo or the Texans moral equivalence with the Houston Endowment and the Brown Foundation. 

• Like 2

All in all it's the better of the proposals I've seen and one which makes sense.

The mini dome is just....tacky -.- If they want to make a pavilion to honor the dome along with keeping monumental elements of the original structure then create a contemporary type style pavilion that plays with the ideas of the original structure! So in the middle you would have some cool contemporary space that is structural in concept and pays homage to the original, but is at the same time it's own entity. In this fashion you have the monumental elements of the past and a vision of the future in the same place.

The main idea of the proposal is sound though. If there is anything that could reasonably be saved it's the spires. I would also like the overall super structure to be saved, but it would be a bit impractical.

All in all it's the better of the proposals I've seen and one which makes sense.

The mini dome is just....tacky -.- If they want to make a pavilion to honor the dome along with keeping monumental elements of the original structure then create a contemporary type style pavilion that plays with the ideas of the original structure! So in the middle you would have some cool contemporary space that is structural in concept and pays homage to the original, but is at the same time it's own entity. In this fashion you have the monumental elements of the past and a vision of the future in the same place.

The main idea of the proposal is sound though. If there is anything that could reasonably be saved it's the spires. I would also like the overall super structure to be saved, but it would be a bit impractical.

They want to make a museum for it, they must build a building, seems very sensible to me. They're going to make a replica, whether it's a tiny model that sits on a table inside the museum or make the museum the replica.

I understand where you're coming from though.

But another reason the dome replica works so well is that the remaining columns make up a circle, and so is this replica. Anything other than a round shaped building I think would look make the entire area awkward. 

As long as they make it out of quality material, I think it will work well.

Also, as weird as this sounds, I think this could potentially be more of a landmark than the dome itself as it is now. Do people take pictures in front of the dome for memories right now? Maybe they do, but I doubt it. This is unique looking enough that I think people will take pictures with it. It will be in Houston's next advertising campaign for visitors. It will be the next Houston icon. That it's possibly replacing an icon makes it pretty ironic though.

Edited by lockmat

Won't happen because of the historic designation stuff. That being said it's the most reasonable plan the power brokers have come up with so far. However I would like to see the roof left on in some way, that grad student's idea, the roof was always the best part of the dome.

• Like 1

Won't happen because of the historic designation stuff. That being said it's the most reasonable plan the power brokers have come up with so far. However I would like to see the roof left on in some way, that grad student's idea, the roof was always the best part of the dome.

My favorite idea is the skeleton w/ the roof, too, but I don't think the UH student's idea included the roof. The roof would provide much needed shade, but then again, how many summer events are held there anyway?

This photo provides a good view of the circular ring of columns while it was under construction.

It also shows that the columns extend to ground level, below the berm that exists around the structure. But this image shows that below the berm many columns are integrated with other concrete structures, so the attached concrete structures are going to need to be carefully stripped away to preserve the columns.

Actually, the more I look at the original structure and the depiction of the proposed monument ring, I'm thinking the monument ring will be a new replica. It seems like trying to use the original structure just won't provide a consistent, attractive structure. Also, trying to preserve the original will make demolition much more difficult and preclude the option of implosion.

http://www.oscarmail.net/photos/610s_astrodome_construction_bailey_LIGHTENED_ROTATED_REPAIRED_ADJUSTED.jpg

Edited by MaxConcrete

But another reason the dome replica works so well is that the remaining columns make up a circle, and so is this replica. Anything other than a round shaped building I think would look make the entire area awkward. 

To my knowledge there plan is to destroy the entire structure and recreate the columns that looked like the original columns. If they had decided to keep the original columns, I would like the idea more.

To my knowledge there plan is to destroy the entire structure and recreate the columns that looked like the original columns. If they had decided to keep the original columns, I would like the idea more.

Really? Didn't know that. I agree, was a better idea if they were originals

Instead of making a mini dome they ought to consider placing the museum aspect of the plan underground. The excavation work was already done decades ago. Gateway arch in St. Louis has their spacious visitor center underground and is quite nice. I would think that modification would allow for a larger space with lower cooling costs and potentially lower construction costs as well.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

For a good while now, Harris County Judge Ed Emmett has been dropping hints about a new proposal to renovate the Astrodome. He’s set to reveal a few details about it tomorrow afternoon, after he holds a press conference set up in a “special little section” of the Astrodome made safe for media attendees. “Emmett has been in discussions with a series of elected officials, stakeholders and interested parties in recent weeks, laying out the general concept for an innovative reuse of the world’s first domed stadium,” a press release from the judge’s office declares. “All [the judge's spokesperson] could tell me is that it’s ‘public use,’ tweets the Chronicle‘s Kiah Collier. [County Judge Ed Emmett; previously on Swamplot] Photo: Joe Stinebaker

Money is no object. We have the strongest economy in America. The 1% can pick up the tab. Greedy bastards! About time they built me a Texas sized indoor park so I can run around in the grass barefoot and not get chigger bites or heat stroke.

Just kidding - I'm sure they'll work something out.

http://www.chron.com/houston/article/Newest-Dome-proposal-to-be-announced-this-5712980.php

Edited by Metro West
  • Like 1

I actually really love this idea. It's practical, serves a common need, and might even be a tourist destination. It even benefits any event at NRG. As for funding, I say sell advertising in it, throw in food vendors, and allow portions of it to be rented out.

• Like 1

This is actually the best idea that has come out of his office for the dome.

I think it will have a really good chance if there were monetary donations from some powerful Houston names who want to actually immortalize themselves with the likes of Hogg or Cullen, and other major Houston philanthropists.

Didn't Kinder just donate 50 million for parks last year? There's got to be a more egotistical rich Houston guy who wants to have a park named in his/her honor!

• Like 1

I've been saying this to all my friends and family for a while now. They know I love bicycling and the Astrodome would be a perfect circle for cyclists to go around. If they turned this into a park, that would be phenomenal... but I'll believe it when I see the money and if any investors/sponsors sign on. Can't wait to go to the Shipley Donut's Dome.  :rolleyes: