The Abandoned Astrodome And Its Future

gambitx

@ Cloud - There is 9.5 acres of space inside the dome. I don't know how I can make that any clearer. They can do whatever they want, use part of it, use all of it, the existing open area, the footprint, whatever. What's the problem?

The park idea has the backing of one of the most powerful persons in Harris County and a lot of people like it because it would make the Astrodome an attractive place to hold events. It is the best chance we have to save the dome right now - and a GOOD one.

Of course the Astrodome park would not be the kind of park that local residents would be using to walk their dog. It would be a destination. It would be the Astrodome - with a park atmosphere to attract special events. Events that people would either drive to or take LRT to get to. I'm sorry that I keep over-estimating your capacity to 'get it'.

If the park idea is silly (and maybe it is a little silly), ideas like the indoor fake ski hill are off-the-charts asinine. There is NO CHANCE IN A MILLION YEARS that the Astrodome will be saved by building a ski slope in it. NOBODY in authority is even considering it. 

Edited by Subdude

9.5 acres = 413,000 sq ft  No doubt that a smaller number than that is the actual unobstructed flat "playing field" space.  Clearly with all the levels and multiple zones within the Dome we'd come up with a larger square footage than 413,000.

Now, what I'm curious about SMF is why do you think the ski-slope/hill idea is so bad?  I'm not arguing for it or against it (though it would be unique), I'm just curious why you feel so vehemently against that idea.  I mean you're nearly fighting it.  Why?

The Dome Park proposal will fail if it is not a destination park for average Houston citizens and metro-wide residents.  Its not like a covered park is going to attract millions per year.  At least not the way that it has been proposed.

I still maintain my idea that converting it into some sort of refrigerated Alpine environment with the temperatures of say a Jackson Hole, Wy. would be really fantastic... the problem of course is maintaining the temperatures and climatic feel of the space.

• Like 2

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gsapp/BT/DOMES/HOUSTON/h-unusua.html

Area of a circle = πR2

Diameter of the outside of the Dome is 712 (or 710 from the same link). Therefore the radius is 356 ft.

(3562)π=398,152.89 ft2

An acre is 43,560 ft2

Dividing the two yields 9.14033 acres that the Dome's footprint occupies.

• Like 1

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gsapp/BT/DOMES/HOUSTON/h-unusua.html

Area of a circle = πR2

Diameter of the outside of the Dome is 712 (or 710 from the same link). Therefore the radius is 356 ft.

(3562)π=398,152.89 ft2

An acre is 43,560 ft2

Dividing the two yields 9.14033 acres that the Dome's footprint occupies.

Thanks for that!  I was looking for something with an actual figure on the square footage of the Dome, and after I exhausted my interest in the first couple of links I found...  I gave up.

I wonder where the 9.5 acres came from?  Probably the surrounding lawn?

Thanks for that!  I was looking for something with an actual figure on the square footage of the Dome, and after I exhausted my interest in the first couple of links I found...  I gave up.

I wonder where the 9.5 acres came from?  Probably the surrounding lawn?

Wikipedia...

@ Cloud - It seems clear enough to me. I've seen that figure written in a other few articles and it seems totally believable to me. You can tell by just looking at google maps arial photos that the dome roof covers about 9.5 acres. 7.43 seems believable to me as well.

Remind me again why it matters anyway? They can put a park in the dome if it's 9.5 acres or it's 9.5 square feet if they want to. They can plop trees and grass on several layers seating decks if they want to or just keep it no bigger than the baseball field used to be - which is what I would expect them to do. I would expect them to start small and add stuff. I would hope there is a master plan, but I would also hope that they would use the existing seating decks as a way to increase the amount of usable space. Maybe if a park is put in the existing open space at first, those seating decks could be used for other amenities in the future - maybe even restaurants, hotel rooms or something no one's thought up yet. Like I said before the park idea has legs.

The diagram that was posted earlier is just one idea. There are an infinite number of ways to make a creative interesting indoor park work in the Astrodome space.

Edited by SMF

9.5 acres = 413,000 sq ft  No doubt that a smaller number than that is the actual unobstructed flat "playing field" space.  Clearly with all the levels and multiple zones within the Dome we'd come up with a larger square footage than 413,000.

Now, what I'm curious about SMF is why do you think the ski-slope/hill idea is so bad?  I'm not arguing for it or against it (though it would be unique), I'm just curious why you feel so vehemently against that idea.  I mean you're nearly fighting it.  Why?

The Dome Park proposal will fail if it is not a destination park for average Houston citizens and metro-wide residents.  Its not like a covered park is going to attract millions per year.  At least not the way that it has been proposed.

I still maintain my idea that converting it into some sort of refrigerated Alpine environment with the temperatures of say a Jackson Hole, Wy. would be really fantastic... the problem of course is maintaining the temperatures and climatic feel of the space.

I know I've said all this before, but since you asked and don't feel like clicking back a couple of pages, here is a summery. NO it's o.k. I really don't mind at all.

1. Time is running out. (the wolf is at the door)

2. Skiing isn't a realistic option. (needs 100% private investor - I don't see anyone volunteering money to this)

3. No one with any power is considering it. (proposal time is over)

4. Prefab skiing has limited appeal. (tourist will be doing this in their own towns)

5. Indoor park has more uses, flexibility, ect. (potential to attract a wide variety of events, interests and people)

6. Indoor park can evolve, grow and expand. (today it's a park, tomorrow they add a hotel or something if planned correctly)

7. Astrodome deserves better than a fly-by-night, financially risky, glorified carnival attraction. (a park is more classic - parks appeal to everyone -skiing does not)

I'm sure I'll think up some more reasons later.

Edited by SMF

Why can't we fuse Cloud and SMF's ideas together? Create an indoor alpine park with a ski run? That would draw people from across the globe. Snow in Texas year round--not just to ski mind you, but to wander thru, to buy a cup of hot chocolate, to people watching, to ice skate, to build snow men with the kids, and to ski (more of a bunny hill perhaps, but hey, at it's best you're only getting 200 feet of drop anyhow). Same concept, free entry, pay for amenities like the ski run, skating, zip-line, etc.

And an Alpine shopping village mall is a must as well. Tourists like to shop. Rent will help off set the massive cost of air temperature modification and snow creation. And I still say create a TIRZ that will develop the surrounding parking lot into a mid-rise neighborhood with GFR and parking garages. And let's be honest, wouldn't it be sensational to do Christmas shopping in a mall that looked like Santa's hometown? Personally, I'm crossing my fingers that this is the new mall the BFS is talking about in another thread.

Go big or go home. This is the Astrodome. The Eighth Wonder of the World. Do something that no one else anywhere the world over can or will do. Making the Dome into the world's largest freezer would be spectacular!

Why can't we fuse Cloud and SMF's ideas together? Create an indoor alpine park with a ski run? That would draw people from across the globe. Snow in Texas year round--not just to ski mind you, but to wander thru, to buy a cup of hot chocolate, to people watching, to ice skate, to build snow men with the kids, and to ski (more of a bunny hill perhaps, but hey, at it's best you're only getting 200 feet of drop anyhow). Same concept, free entry, pay for amenities like the ski run, skating, zip-line, etc.

And an Alpine shopping village mall is a must as well. Tourists like to shop. Rent will help off set the massive cost of air temperature modification and snow creation. And I still say create a TIRZ that will develop the surrounding parking lot into a mid-rise neighborhood with GFR and parking garages. And let's be honest, wouldn't it be sensational to do Christmas shopping in a mall that looked like Santa's hometown? Personally, I'm crossing my fingers that this is the new mall the BFS is talking about in another thread.

Go big or go home. This is the Astrodome. The Eighth Wonder of the World. Do something that no one else anywhere the world over can or will do. Making the Dome into the world's largest freezer would be spectacular!

I didn't come up with the ski idea..but yeah, I basically assumed all the amenities you just listed/described were a given for any ski related venue. Obviously skiing/snowboarding, but also tubing/sledding, snowball fights, ice skating, heck.. There could be horse sleigh rides and/or dog sledding around the outer concourse loop.

I know I've said all this before, but since you asked and don't feel like clicking back a couple of pages, here is a summery. NO it's o.k. I really don't mind at all.

Yeah.  That is pretty much it.  I'm lazy and don't feel like clicking through 3-4 pages and 20 posts trying to find a summery of your reasons for not building an indoor ski-slope...

Clearly the Astrodome is a hot topic in this town, and clearly its deserving of some sort of re-use.  Aside from my Alpine bio-dome idea (which is probably way too expensive - though I see a future in that sort of thing in 20-30 years), I've long felt the best re-use is a sports re-use.  We missed the boat with the US Mens National soccer team training facility, why not repurpose it for an Olympic training facility?  That could include trainers rooms, medical rooms, weights, aerobic training center, dormitories, non track and field spaces (for gymnasts etc.).  Sure that would be a hefty re-fit/renovation, but we're talking about a fairly extensive renovation to begin with.

It seems that the county people have completley taken this reasonable (you can phase it as deemed necessary) off the boards.  Why?  Why not re-use a stadium for sports related purposes?  Seems odd.

And I still say create a TIRZ that will develop the surrounding parking lot into a mid-rise neighborhood with GFR and parking garages.

Haha, I sketched out a fantasy development around NRG Park once.. It started out as an Olympic Park, and morphed into a mixed use destination/district (sort of a life after the Olympics)..

The black line is an elevated tram/people mover that runs around the property (I had it running across a few roof tops but that's quite an escalator ride up/down) connecting most of the venues to the light rail station. It's dashed in the top left because the tracks didn't go through in the Olympic stage since that's where the Olympic village was for the athletes, and they have to be kept away from the public for security reasons. The Olympic village cluster of buildings would later be converted into an office park..

The nodes on the black line are stations for the tram/people mover, stopping at NRG arena, a hotel [H], the light rail station, NRG center, a stop on the west side of NRG center for the astrodome, a stop in the residential section, a stop at NRG stadium, and finally a stop at the office park village.

The green areas would all be park space (the areas closest to the residential towers [R] would include a private dog park, ect). There would be a large sculpture or observation tower in the central green circle in the middle of the park (originally it was to be an Olympic torch), and a large fountain/water feature in the blue circle closer to the light rail [Red] station.

The parking garage [PG] to the bottom left would have something on top of it, likely one large floor plate/squatty office building [O].

8D0002C3-704F-4F14-AC08-759B2A80FE02_zps

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

Lol

Yeah I'm not sure I see the point of an Olympic training facility. How often do those get used? And how many people benefit/actually get to use them? 99.9% of Houstonians would never have the opportunity to enjoy it, even if they wanted to.

We have a lot of athletes that train year-in and year-out for the Olympics.  The idea of having a permanent training facility (we have one in Colorado Springs) isn't a bad idea.  Anyone involved in an Olympic sport (which is a lot of sports) would be able to use it.  Any one training for the Olympics through the US Olympic Committee would use it.  I'd imagine it would be a huge training complex that could be indoor/outdoor and have trainers/dorms/weight rooms/medical stuff along with mess facilities etc.  It wouldn't just be a big running track.

But like I said its beyond doubtful something like that would ever happen.  Though it would make sense.  Who would pay for it is the tougher question.

• 3 months later...

10343672_10153165292480649_6591171470007

A new primer coat of paint began today on the 8th and 9th level corrugated walls.

10897862_10153155878365649_4965475585234

The north entrance to the Astrodome after it's recent washing of the of the signature concrete screen and white columns

• Like 2

astrodome-paint-samples.jpg

astrodome-paint-sample.jpg

WHAT’S NEXT IN Astrodome beauty treatments after the unused county stadium’s powerwashing late last year? How about a little color magic? As noted by the KHOU chopper sent out to record the incident earlier this week (which produced the image above), test paint patches recently appeared at the top of the vacant structure’s walls. In concert with the removal of the eighties-add-on stair towers and the latest grime-spray efforts, the painting of a dark bluish-black color on the upper sections of wall just below the roof would help return the stadium exterior to something closer to its original 1965 appearance.

http://swamplot.com/the-new-old-color-theyll-be-painting-the-upper-sides-of-the-astrodome-soon/2015-02-11/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The proposal is all fine and dandy, but if the earlier rehab (the one with the mini-dome) was voted down then how would this succeed?  Reading it I get the feeling they're still groping for ideas (hydroponics?), which of course has been the problem all along.

The proposal is all fine and dandy, but if the earlier rehab (the one with the mini-dome) was voted down then how would this succeed?  Reading it I get the feeling they're still groping for ideas (hydroponics?), which of course has been the problem all along.

The proposal with the mini-dome was not the one that was voted down.

As discussed in the ULI report, it is believed that the earlier proposal was (narrowly) defeated as a result of not being clear on the vision.  (and I would argue the county allowed the message to get muddled by tearing down the ramp towers in the months preceding the vote.)

And, yes, they are "groping for ideas" to an extent.  That's pretty much the point of this stage of the exercise.