The Abandoned Astrodome And Its Future

gambitx

For those that missed the first go around: Astrodome seats are back on sale this morning. This time you just purchase a ticket ($200 per pair) and then go pick up the seats on Dec. 17. Much less hassle.

http://www.reliantpark.com/events/astrodome-seat-sale

That nostalgia and historic lover in me is itching to buy a pair. Anyone else here have interest or bought a pair the first go around?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Headed for a showdown: Astrodome's fate could be decided in key summer vote  Efforts to make the Astrodome a State Antiquities Landmark took a key step forward Tuesday as the state Antiquities Advisory Board voted unanimously to forward the application to the Texas Historical Commission. Such a designation would prevent the Astrodome from being altered or demolished without approval from the commission.

The commission will make a final decision on the application in July — and that could be the impetus (finally) for a frank and serious discussion on what to do with the world's first domed stadium. 

Harris County Judge Ed Emmett plans to hold a large "stakeholders' meeting" next month, bringing RodeoHouston and Houston Texans officials, preservationists and a host of interested parties on both sides to discuss "where to go from here," said spokesman Joe Stinebaker. Emmett also plans to hold public meetings around Houston in an attempt to build consensus toward a solution that can be presented to the historical commission this summer.

"There is no move to tear down the Dome," Stinebaker said. "But historical designation could tie the county's hands in making it more difficult and expensive to do anything."

Backers of efforts to save the Astrodome believe it cleared a "major hurdle" Tuesday with the advisory commission's vote. "There's no going back now," an elated Ted Powell said in a telephone interview from Fort Worth after the vote.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/sports/04-29-14-headed-for-a-showdown-astrodomes-fate-could-be-decided-in-key-summer-vote/

Good update article from Culturemap.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If Ed Emmett wants to start this charade all over again, that's his prerogative. But like Subdude said up-thread,  nothing's going to happen that doesn't  align with either Rodeo's or Texans' interests.  So, either they pay every dime associated with re-purposing the dome, or not.    Voters made it clear they don't want any more public money spend on it.  Perhaps the impending shame-fest will convince the two interested parties they need to work together and open their wallets.

If Ed Emmett wants to start this charade all over again, that's his prerogative. But like Subdude said up-thread,  nothing's going to happen that doesn't  align with either Rodeo's or Texans' interests.  So, either they pay every dime associated with re-purposing the dome, or not.    Voters made it clear they don't want any more public money spend on it.  Perhaps the impending shame-fest will convince the two interested parties they need to work together and open their wallets.

I wouldn't say that voters don't want to spend money on it, I would say that voters don't want to spend money to turn it into a convention center when we've got a perfectly good one already.

I bet, if they had held a vote to turn it into a place to house one of the space shuttles, the voters would have been willing to spend the money, we may have even gotten one of them too.

• Like 1

I, as a voter, will vote (again) no on any project asking for tax dollars to be spent on this structure. I think that's what the "No" vote was mainly about.

I think you missed the point. If it gets this status it's eligible for funds you're already paying taxes for. Sorry.

• Like 1

I, as a voter, will vote (again) no on any project asking for tax dollars to be spent on this structure.  I think that's what the "No" vote was mainly about.

Well, if you want it gone... you're still going to be spending a ton of tax $$$ just to get rid of it and turn it into a parking lot. Why not spend a little more and get something that can benefit the city?

• Like 1

I, as a voter, will vote (again) no on any project asking for tax dollars to be spent on this structure.  I think that's what the "No" vote was mainly about.

Would you say that it's more beneficial to spend nearly 3 million per year in upkeep on something that brings in 0 direct revenue, or spend more money to fix it up and get revenue, both direct and indirect (hotel rooms, cab rides, etc)?

At this point, I'd say that the chances of it being turned into a parking lot are nill, so these are really the options we're faced with.

Maybe if the county hadn't been horrible at managing the place for the past 20 years it would already be a parking lot (which taxpayers would have paid 80 million to accomplish anyway) and you'd not have to consider paying for upkeep on a 0 revenue facility, or paying to have it revitalized into something new that will bring in revenue.

Maybe you should vote no on the people who let this happen in the first place, could we be faced with spending another 60 million over the next 20 years while it continues to generate 0 dollars?

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I agree. I hate the idea of losing the dome. Tearing it down and replacing it with an ordinary parking lot would kill me. At least this idea pays some kind of tribute to the impact the Astrodome made in this community. That open green space could really be an asset in that area. 

If they could find a way to somehow keep the domed ceiling over this skeletal ring structure or even build a few curved beams to give the outline of the dome's roof it would make this plan even better.   

Edited by Metro West
  • Like 1

The only way this should even be remotely considered is if the Rodeo and the Texans pony up every penny and expect nothing in return.

Yeah, that's gonna happen with those money-grubbers...

Yeah, I doubt that would happen, and I doubt that it would be open as most parks are, which would be... disappointing.

If the dome must be demolished, this is really the best idea though.

Ugh.. It's a decent proposal if the dome must go, but I had always hoped for them to build a large park across the parking lots to connect the key parts of the site, and consolidate parking to a few garages.

8BFF9EE0-ECA7-4476-9876-2460E1FC7E93_zps

This park would follow the outline of the HLSAR festival/fair ride area and connect the venues to the light rail station with attractive shaded pedestrian walkways through the park. It would also connect to the pedestrian bridge across 610 for rodeo parking and to spur future development on the eastern part of the astroworld site.

30B87B7A-5FED-48FF-AB25-A165FBF0657A_zps

Edited by cloud713

Don't like the "minidome"

That's as third rate as things get.  I mean... no!  Just don't!  Turn the whole damn thing into a dump before you do something like that.

Also, I'd love to see the Rodeo and Texans EAT every cent of the cost of this.  They're big money makers, and have people with deep pockets, let them pay for this.  Otherwise leave it alone and let the taxpayers figure it out if they taxpayers are to spend their money on it.

Oh, and "Gameday" unfortunately is only for College Football... sadly the NFL can't find anyone as competent or entertaining as the College Gameday people ESPN has.

Edited by arche_757

Don't like the "minidome"

That's as third rate as things get.  I mean... no!  Just don't!  Turn the whole damn thing into a dump before you do something like that.

Also, I'd love to see the Rodeo and Texans EAT every cent of the cost of this.  They're big money makers, and have people with deep pockets, let them pay for this.  Otherwise leave it alone and let the taxpayers figure it out if they taxpayers are to spend their money on it.

Oh, and "Gameday" unfortunately is only for College Football... sadly the NFL can't find anyone as competent or entertaining as the College Gameday people ESPN has.

Because leaving it alone and letting the taxpayers figure it out has worked out so well???  ;-)

Sheesh people, it's just a proposal.  It's not as if anyone is making demands that this be done and that it be done exactly this way.

Let me rephrase that:  "Allow taxpayers to adequately explore alternate uses for the existing domed structure in NRG Park, rather than these half-a***d county proposals we've seen so far."

Also, it is likely this is "the" proposal that will end up being implemented.  Not like the Texans and Rodeo have hidden their hopes to bulldoze this thing.

I kind of want to stick-it to the Texans and Rodeo.  Which means I don't care if the Astrodome outlasts both organizations - personally that would be a grand accomplishment!

• Like 2

Let me rephrase that:  "Allow taxpayers to adequately explore alternate uses for the existing domed structure in NRG Park, rather than these half-a***d county proposals we've seen so far."

Again, that's worked out really well, hasn't it?  What has kept anyone from "adequately exploring" alternative uses?  Where are the legitimate and realistic alternative proposals?

Also, it is likely this is "the" proposal that will end up being implemented.  Not like the Texans and Rodeo have hidden their hopes to bulldoze this thing.

I kind of want to stick-it to the Texans and Rodeo.  Which means I don't care if the Astrodome outlasts both organizations - personally that would be a grand accomplishment!

So much hate...   After you finish off the Rodeo and the Texans, maybe you can aim to put the Houston Endowment out of business. And then maybe the Brown Foundation.