Drewery Place: Multifamily High-Rise At 2850 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

15 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Except that's not all I'm saying. I'm disagreeing with the premise.  I don't thinks look rough or hopeless for Midtown. The cancellation of a proposed development (especially a development like Laneways) is of course disappointing, but as I mentioned above, that happens all the time, in all markets. It doesn't mean the end of Midtown. Given the huge amount of development in Midtown in recent years, it might just be time for the market to catch it's breath, so to speak.

I mentioned a few posts back that I think it's worth thinking about different sections of Midtown, some of which are pretty successful, some of which are much more challenged. Laneways outkicked its coverage a little and ran into a challenging area. So we are having a discussion now about the challenges of certain areas of Midtown.

I disagree that this happens all the time in all markets. I don't think a failure like this has happened in Houston since Houston Pavilions, and when that happened, it provoked a good discussion about some of the limits that exist to development downtown. Those limits have receded a bit but they still exist, and we will have to wait and see what happens with Greenstreet to mark our progress.

Lastly, I think there is some resistance to the idea that two events make a trend, but real estate trends and perceptions are often based on one or two successes or failures. Two major retail/residential projects go up on Allen Parkway and suddenly the development community is saying that this is Houston's "oceanfront property" and there is a rise in land values everywhere on Allen Parkway. Two big multi-family developments happen on Navigation and suddenly Navigation is "on the map" for new multi-family development. Ed Wulfe's BLVD Place is forced to scale back after the 2008 market crash and that is seen as a bellwether of how the market crash has impacted retail. The Central Square office renovation in north Midtown fails spectacularly and shows that office doesn't work there. And so on.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

After reading all the discussion about why 2 big mixed use projects failed in Midtown, I wonder if the answer might be pretty simple: Downtown stole Midtown's thunder... and from what I'm seeing, is continuing to run away with it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, J.A. said:

After reading all the discussion about why 2 big mixed use projects failed in Midtown, I wonder if the answer might be pretty simple: Downtown stole Midtown's thunder... and from what I'm seeing, is continuing to run away with it.

Or because no one over the age of 30 wants to live in Midtown and people under the age of the 30 don't pay the rents necessary for a succesful highrise development. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, SMU1213 said:

Or because no one over the age of 30 wants to live in Midtown and people under the age of the 30 don't pay the rents necessary for a succesful highrise development. 

I think you’re spot on here.  Midtown needs to pivot from the bar scene that caters to the young party crowd to a more all-encompassing live/work/shop model that takes advantage of the street grid to create a very pedestrian lifestyle.  Everything you need within walking distance.  A much more stable, affluent population would migrate to the neighborhood.  Hopefully the Ion will be a catalyst for such a transformation!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

I think you’re spot on here.  Midtown needs to pivot from the bar scene that caters to the young party crowd to a more all-encompassing live/work/shop model that takes advantage of the street grid to create a very pedestrian lifestyle.  Everything you need within walking distance.  A much more stable, affluent population would migrate to the neighborhood.  Hopefully the Ion will be a catalyst for such a transformation!

If that happens with the Ion, I’m sure Montrose will claim that pocket. 😁

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Because we don't have a "on-hold" section. These lots will get developed eventually, and the title will change, and will eventually "go up". Makes it easier to find when the time comes.

We're here to make sure everyone plays nicely and move/merge threads by requests. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Drewery Place: Multifamily High-Rise At 2850 Fannin By Caydon
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/6/2022 at 11:41 AM, corbs315 said:

I went in for the first time for a delightful pastry. I have walked by a few times. In all these times I have never seen a customer other than myself :|

Every time I see this thread bumped, I get a bit excited hoping something got revived and that we'll see some new high rise in midtown.

But, alas, nada. I suppose a pastry can be nice too.......😭😭😭

Edited by aachor
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to Drewery Place: Multifamily High-Rise At 2850 Fannin St.
  • 4 months later...
On 11/28/2022 at 3:28 AM, phillip_white said:

Common Bond is now permanently closed at Drewery Place.

Common Bond's unit, 2850 Fannin St, Suite 100, was listed several months ago. It's still available for lease.

https://www.crexi.com/lease/properties/447465/texas-the-drewery-place

https://api-lease.crexi.com/assets/447465/flyer

http://www.chodrowrealtyadvisors.com/for-lease/

dMIEoXE.jpg

McNbD29.jpg

6BG2YYf.jpg

yxmA44U.jpg

keUPw3K.jpg

• Like 2

Common bond opened a "light" concept with a limited menu and it just didn't work. In my opinion, if they had done a brasserie like downtown it would have thrived. Just look at the sushi restaurant on the Drew and Fannin corner. It has a regular crowd and is pretty busy on the weekends. 

The space has already been leased to an Acai bowl concept or chain. They started the remodel before Thanksgiving and it appears to be moving quickly. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, urbanize713 said:

Common bond opened a "light" concept with a limited menu and it just didn't work. In my opinion, if they had done a brasserie like downtown it would have thrived. Just look at the sushi restaurant on the Drew and Fannin corner. It has a regular crowd and is pretty busy on the weekends. 

The space has already been leased to an Acai bowl concept or chain. They started the remodel before Thanksgiving and it appears to be moving quickly. 

I ageee - it could thrive as a true restaurant. I also think a more sandwich-oriented version of Common Bond could have done well. I went a couple of times for baguettes, but was always disappointed by the menu. But considering how well Madamoiselle Louise is doing in a fairly similar part of Downtown (some new development, some vacancy, some vagrancy), there aren't a lot of good excuses for Common Bond's failure there.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, urbanize713 said:

Yeah, and the hours were silly. It wasn't open M-W.

• Like 3