Drewery Place: Multifamily High-Rise At 2850 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

25 minutes ago, X.R. said:

I think thats a valid point and question, and Hanover Montrose is tempting, but when comparing the two its the lack of needing a car to do shit that really pops out. I think Hanover montrose needs a Bcycle station, tbh, to get you to the bars down Westheimer. You can walk to Disco Krogers and back, which is great. But when that Whole Foods at Pearl opens, the Caydon peeps will be 7 blocks/streets away, and there's already that (crappy) Randalls. If you enjoy going to any sports games, Midtown on the rail is better than Montrose. The bars are an easy walk to in midtown, but more importantly, you have better day-to-day, cheap food in Midtown than you have closer to the Hanover. Cali sandwhiches, Les Girval, Luna y Sol, etc. Downtown is a distant third cause it has the food and bars, but no grocery store, and at night you don't see nearly as many people walking around as you do in Midtown. I dunno, I'd move somewhere on the rail line in Midtown. There are more homeless as you get towards the greyhound station on Main, but they're existence doesn't bother me, so 🤷‍♂️.

If you're a luxury developer and anywhere near bikeable areas (I think Midtown is pretty bikeable) I would think its pretty poor form not to offer rentable bikes to your people. Easiest thing to do is put in a Bcycle station. The Boone Manor people in Museum District during their presentation said they already secured a rentable bike situation for their lessors because their development is on the eventual La Branch/Austin bike lanes. 

Luna y Sol closed...  There is a Bcycle station at Midtown park.  Bcycle sounds nice but how many residents would use it.  I've always thought of Bcycle as something for tourist(local and out of town) and for extremely occasional biking.  I considered getting a Bcycle membership($79) but decided a cheap(~$100) bike and lock makes more sense for me.  When I rode around here last weekend I only saw one person on a bike and two people on a motorized one wheel...maybe that's what Caydon tenants would be into.

Edited by BeerNut
  • Like 1

Bikeshare is incredibly convenient once you've reached a critical mass of stations. The key is having stations near where people live in addition to where people want to go. Houston's Bcycle is definitely getting to the point that there are enough stations to be convenient for quite a few rides, but it could use a bunch more, starting with obvious locations along trails and bikelanes.

A good example of a system that works well is Capital Bikeshare in DC. There are definitely still holes, but it's enough of a network that you can generally be pretty confident that there's a station near you and near where you're going. It is *very* nice not to have to worry about locking your bike up or potentially having it stolen. I am a huge proponent of well-designed bikeshare systems, and the only issue I have with Bcycle is that it needs more stations.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Texasota said:

Bikeshare is incredibly convenient once you've reached a critical mass of stations. The key is having stations near where people live in addition to where people want to go. Houston's Bcycle is definitely getting to the point that there are enough stations to be convenient for quite a few rides, but it could use a bunch more, starting with obvious locations along trails and bikelanes.

A good example of a system that works well is Capital Bikeshare in DC. There are definitely still holes, but it's enough of a network that you can generally be pretty confident that there's a station near you and near where you're going. It is *very* nice not to have to worry about locking your bike up or potentially having it stolen. I am a huge proponent of well-designed bikeshare systems, and the only issue I have with Bcycle is that it needs more stations.

Agreed. For me, ecobici in Mexico City sets the standard for what a citywide bikeshare should be; cheap rentals and an extensive network of pickup/dropoff locations. You can ride from Zocalo to the suburbs and find "stations" all along the way. They also have much stricter laws for yielding right of way to cyclists, but that's a conversation for another thread.

• Like 3

On 9/27/2019 at 2:00 PM, Texasota said:

Unless the bikeshare is very actively operated, it can be dicey to depend on it for commuting, especially into/out of a CBD like Houston's. Aside from station placement, there are two big risks you face as a commuter: having a bike available at the station nearest where you live, and having an open dock at the station nearest where you work (and vice versa for the trip home). Dockless solves one of these problems, but not both.

• Like 4

On 9/26/2019 at 8:06 PM, clutchcity94 said:

I love what Caydon is doing with this, but the real question is...will enough people want to live in this part of Midtown with all of the baggage that entails? It isn’t all that far from the Greyhound station after all. I have no doubts this area will transform into something great over the years, but who will the first brave souls be to lease an apartment here? I mean at this price point, why not just live in the Hanover Montrose or in one of the nice residential towers downtown?

2016 Main, Smith Street Apartments, Rise Lofts, Edge Condos, Post Midtown, Camden Midtown, Midtown Houston by Windsor, Camden Travis, Camden McGowen Station Apartments.

These are all lofts/condos/apartments within the same (or closer distance) than this midrise.

honestly, there are more, but I stopped searching.

what makes this one unique, or special that means the tenants will have different needs, or considerations than tenants of other apartments in the vicinity of the greyhound?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Angostura said:

Unless the bikeshare is very actively operated, it can be dicey to depend on it for commuting, especially into/out of a CBD like Houston's. Aside from station placement, there are two big risks you face as a commuter: having a bike available at the station nearest where you live, and having an open dock at the station nearest where you work (and vice versa for the trip home). Dockless solves one of these problems, but not both.

I actually prefer docked to dockless - you always know where bikes are supposed to be and you can check an app in advance to see if there are bikes. And again, the answer to stations without bikes is simple - more stations! Many bikeshare systems also operate "corrals" in CBDs so you don't have to worry about finding open stations during rush hour.

• Like 4

I love this. Midtown was always destined for this.

The challenge now is to create an environment that values both historic structures and new innovative builds. There is a ton of cool history in Midtown. The mix is what makes it interesting!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, urbanize713 said:

Curious what the other sides look like. At first glance the curves are slightly reminiscent of  Lake Point Tower in Chicago. 

I was thinking that too. I took a quick pick. This is how it looks from my bedroom window. For lots of reasons, it is one of the most hated buildings in Chicago.

y4ml71h6BItEn1EArseoXM71FCu8X3lVYNITBdWx

• Like 4

With the rapid development and densification of Midtown, I wonder if Montrose will pull even further ahead of the Heights in terms of desirability. Currently, both Montrose and the Heights offer ultra short commutes for downtown office workers, but now that Midtown seems like it’s in the midst of a 180, Montrose stands to gain as well IMO.

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 7