Drewery Place: Multifamily High-Rise At 2850 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

Doesn't the FAA filing say 53 stories?

Yeah the Filing said up to a maximum of 53 stories. Doesn't mean all the towers are going to be 53 stories though, some might be in the 40 story range, and another might be in the 50 story range. We'll have to see when the complete news comes out. Considering the filing said 570' and 600' I suspect it will be around that 47-53 story range. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheSirDingle said:

Yeah the Filing said up to a maximum of 53 stories. Doesn't mean all the towers are going to be 53 stories though, some might be in the 40 story range, and another might be in the 50 story range. We'll have to see when the complete news comes out. Considering the filing said 570' and 600' I suspect it will be around that 47-53 story range. 

Could the difference be from counting or not counting parking levels? I'm just guessing.

• Like 2

I'm definitely noticing a trend in the right direction as far as Houston highrises are concerned. For so long it was 30-story this, 30-story that. 30, 30, 30. Now, 40-stories seems to be the new 30. Think about it, we have the new tower in the Galleria going up--40 stories, the tower in the upper-Kirby area--39 stories, block 46 downtown -- 46 stories, the med center condo/apartment tower just built is nearly 40 stories, the proposed highrise for the med center is like 50-stories, McNair place is the 50-story range. So my point here is things are slowly but surly growing taller. 

I still wish beyond anything we had the Bank of the Southwest Tower tho. That tower feels like a cyber boyfriend I never met but fell in love with and then he left me with no explanation and left me here with a broken heart lol

Edited by wxman
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Brooklyn173 said:

Could the difference be from counting or not counting parking levels? I'm just guessing.

That might be it, from the look of some of the "newer" renderings they did show some parking. IDK if that's going to be in the final plan, but looking at the skyrise cities rendering I'm seeing no parking at all. This might just be completely residential/hotel. Considering that COH expanded market based parking to midtown I could see phase 2 of this development not have any parking. 

• Like 1

I always liked the art supply building and they deserve a lot of credit for making great use of an old structure back in the time when no one was even thinking about Midtown.

For some reason I always thought of Mardi Gras in New Orleans with that big wrap around balcony. They obviously knew a good spot when they bought it. Look what's developing.

I will be sorry to see its demise but also very happy to see what's evolving.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bobruss said:

I always liked the art supply building and they deserve a lot of credit for making great use of an old structure back in the time when no one was even thinking about Midtown.

For some reason I always thought of Mardi Gras in New Orleans with that big wrap around balcony. They obviously knew a good spot when they bought it. Look what's developing.

I will be sorry to see its demise but also very happy to see what's evolving.

They seem to be doing it again on Almeda. That street is prime for big things. They do seem to have a great eye for real estate.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HNathoo said:

They seem to be doing it again on Almeda. That street is prime for big things. They do seem to have a great eye for real estate.

Almeda has such a wonderful mix of small retail structures from several different periods that if restored or repurposed  could really make Almeda

a hot area. You can't get much hotter than the stuffed turkey leg. Someone is making a fortune there. I mean they're charging ten dollars to park in all of the adjoining vacant lots, and are always full. I really like some of the structures in the vicinity of the 59 overpass. Like the cleaners and the yoga building and the interesting row of boarded up building on the west side of the 

street. There might be some activity in a couple of them but it definitely needs some loving care but would be exciting to see positive activity in that area. 

• Like 2

On 8/22/2019 at 1:01 PM, quietstorm said:

The light at the top left is out already :(

It still is, more than a month later. 
With the developers' eye for detail, I'm astonished that such an conspicuous maintenance issue has not been addressed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

Those lights aren’t readily available. They have to be special ordered. 

What are those lights called?
I mean, I didn't think they would be available at Home Depot, but they must be more of a specialty item than I realized.

Edited by dbigtex56

40 minutes ago, phillip_white said:
It looks like all they're missing is the bocce area and dog park. I believe those were both supposed to be in the lower area with the concrete?

Uhhh, that looks really great. And its pretty cool that they are using that concrete area. And yes, I believe from the designs that its that lower area. 

That pic does draw a bit of attention to the place right in front of it though...😂.

• Like 2

I love what Caydon is doing with this, but the real question is...will enough people want to live in this part of Midtown with all of the baggage that entails? It isn’t all that far from the Greyhound station after all. I have no doubts this area will transform into something great over the years, but who will the first brave souls be to lease an apartment here? I mean at this price point, why not just live in the Hanover Montrose or in one of the nice residential towers downtown?

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

I love what Caydon is doing with this, but the real question is...will enough people want to live in this part of Midtown with all of the baggage that entails? It isn’t all that far from the Greyhound station after all. I have no doubts this area will transform into something great over the years, but who will the first brave souls be to lease an apartment here? I mean at this price point, why not just live in the Hanover Montrose or in one of the nice residential towers downtown?

People that want to stumble home from Cle?  Midtown is probably the best location for those that are into to the partying scene.  Also being on the Red line working downtown or TMC is an easy commute.  Midtown Park is patrolled so it's a safe place to chill or work out.  More positives than negatives if you have the salary, don't have kids, and don't want the commitment of a home.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

This is about half a mile from the Greyhound station, so I don't think that'll be a huge deterrent.

If you work downtown or in the TMC, living here means you can get by without a car, which puts an extra $800 or so in your pocket every month. Living car free, in a place where you can reasonably live car free, is fantastic, and this is the first neighborhood in the city where one can reasonably live car free.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

I think thats a valid point and question, and Hanover Montrose is tempting, but when comparing the two its the lack of needing a car to do shit that really pops out. I think Hanover montrose needs a Bcycle station, tbh, to get you to the bars down Westheimer. You can walk to Disco Krogers and back, which is great. But when that Whole Foods at Pearl opens, the Caydon peeps will be 7 blocks/streets away, and there's already that (crappy) Randalls. If you enjoy going to any sports games, Midtown on the rail is better than Montrose. The bars are an easy walk to in midtown, but more importantly, you have better day-to-day, cheap food in Midtown than you have closer to the Hanover. Cali sandwhiches, Les Girval, Luna y Sol, etc. Downtown is a distant third cause it has the food and bars, but no grocery store, and at night you don't see nearly as many people walking around as you do in Midtown. I dunno, I'd move somewhere on the rail line in Midtown. There are more homeless as you get towards the greyhound station on Main, but they're existence doesn't bother me, so 🤷‍♂️.

If you're a luxury developer and anywhere near bikeable areas (I think Midtown is pretty bikeable) I would think its pretty poor form not to offer rentable bikes to your people. Easiest thing to do is put in a Bcycle station. The Boone Manor people in Museum District during their presentation said they already secured a rentable bike situation for their lessors because their development is on the eventual La Branch/Austin bike lanes. 

• Like 2