Demolished: 509 & 517 Louisiana St.

Urbannizer

When I drove by here last week, I could see the excavators were below ground level. I briefly thought "Hey, maybe there's more to this project than a surface lot" but then reverted that to "Looks like they're just taking out the old basements".

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Just my two cents, but New Orleans isn't hurting too much for business. It is about where it should be for a metro of its size.

What New Orleans did is preserve a fraction of the stock, and built the business district outside the protected stock. However, even in between the newer skyscrappers are old stock buildings.

The medical center does not look as nice as ours but I do like the aged character and how well it fits in.

I mean even in the quarter, there are hotels that have been renovated/expanded multiple times and in my opinion got even better.

The Hotel Monteleone for example was renovated after the Quarter was protected. They did a lot of demolition, expanded a great deal and ended up with a hotel with one of the most charming facades this side of the Mason Dixon.

Here are pictures of the Monteleone:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hotel+monteleone&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&prmd=mivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjUvOWUwZ_LAhVFgYMKHS1LAyAQ_AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=559&dpr=3

Downtown Houston could have protected an area such as Market square and implement regulations that newer buildings/improvements result in a look that matches the area. The east side of downtown and the southern part from pictures never was all that special. The towers could have gone there whole the Vieux Carr preserved.

The tree's are gone!?!?

That's what it looked like on Monday, as the previous time, I do remember seeing the trees, and that the picture up there was almost what I saw, except no trees.

Keep in mind that because I was driving I can't 100% verify that.

They are trying to squeeze FIFTY parking spaces in there. No place for a damn tree. That said, and this is a serious question, I thought there were new regulations for planting trees when making new surface lots? Is that just a myth I've heard?

If you think my comments are outlandish, they were.

I urge you to go to page 1 of this thread - look at those two buildings - take into account the former owner of BB's take on the buildings - I rode my bike last night and had to laugh. The end result is so short sighted, in person you really get a sense of how small a parking lot it is.

I can't help but feel hatred for their stupid decision.

As I told them on Facebook - I started putting my out of town guests at the JW, Icon or Sam Houston and they are all very happy, they were all equally dismayed when we drove past the empty lot.

Cue Game of Thrones Shame Bell . CuXKrzn-850x676.jpg

Maybe, and I'm just being optimistic here, that the trees were not supposed to go but a mistake on the contractor's part? Did they get rid of the one on the sidewalk, which (I believe) is the city's right of way? (Again, I drove past too quickly to observe everything, but I did notice the lack of trees)

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/Building/2281/The-Longhorn-Pecan.php - someone posted this in the Chron comments (surprisingly).

I don't know when that was written, but if that's true, then the pecan tree wouldn't have lived much longer from this point. If the Lancaster had saved it and paved everything else, then it would've died within a few years, accusations would fly like "Oh, you disturbed the ground around it too much" (like what oak trees have to deal with), then they would have to go in and remove it.

That said, it's a laughably small space for a parking lot at least for what they're proposing. Just for fun, I created a polygon overlay of the demolished area near the Lancaster and dragged it over to the parking lot of the nearby Lyric Centre, where I counted the parking spaces there. I counted 38 which included a small corner where you couldn't park cars due to the way the parking lot was built. Then I took the same polygon and put it on a parking garage, which lacked the wide two-way aisles for cars. There I counted about the same number...37. Then I took it to Franklin and Travis, where there was a parking lot on a lot almost the same size of what the Lancaster wanted. I also counted around 40, there too (that one included handicapped spaces). And here they're proposing 50 spaces?! Are they all motorcycle spaces?!

Archived