• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Well this is certainly not the Third Ward I have always been told about :P Awesome analysis of the recent development of the area. While I'm getting a little tired of the pencil box housing at least its better than what was there before....no a vast improvement of what was there before.

I also agree with Subdude in that Elgin should become the backbone for this part of town, maybe even develop another park, or square and create a nice urbanized core around it. Now it just needs to extend towards U of H. That area gets such a terrible rap for being one of the worst areas of town. I know U of H is trying to transform itself from a commuter campus to one where the students are literally a few blocks or a bus away from campus which should further revive this area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Last time I drove down Elgin to Dowling, I noticed the small Art installment on corner of Bastrop and Elgin was gone. It was many smaller Greek type pillars that each held eye balls shaped like footballs? Or maybe I'm mistaken at what they were I never stopped to look at then just noticed they were gone. I was wondering what happened.

Last time I drove down Elgin to Dowling, I noticed the small Art installment on corner of Bastrop and Elgin was gone. It was many smaller Greek type pillars that each held eye balls shaped like footballs? Or maybe I'm mistaken at what they were I never stopped to look at then just noticed they were gone. I was wondering what happened.

Yes, I noticed it was gone and also wondered what happened to it. Wasn't it "Field of Vision", a permanent installation by the late Houston artist Bert Long, Jr.?

• 2 months later...

The one on Hutchins looks like it has a giant beehive stuck on it.   May be different looking at it head on.

Thanks for sharing these.  Enjoyed your tour.

The view from the beehive is quite nice. This area is really changing quickly. I was surprised my girlfriend liked this area more than many others inside the loop (save for the much less affordable 77006 of Montrose).

After going over the finances, I hope to move into a home in this area in lieu of the Richmont apartments.

Yes, I noticed it was gone and also wondered what happened to it. Wasn't it "Field of Vision", a permanent installation by the late Houston artist Bert Long, Jr.?

I googled 

and found this at http://www.bertlong.com/html/projects.htm

Field of Vision, 2002

50 concrete eyes affixed to multicolored concrete pedestals that represent various ethnic cultures.

A permanent installation on Lyons Avenue and Worms Street, Fifth Ward, Houston, Texas.

(Tribute to the vision of Fifth Ward residents who did not give up when the area was in decline. The area is in the midst of a major redevelopment by Fifth Ward Redevelopment Corporation that commissioned the sculpture installation).

sooooooooooo this was a tribute to the 5th ward but installed in the 3rd ward? Was it moved back to 5th ward at Lyons and Worm street from Bastrop and Elgin?

• 1 year later...

It's impressive how much has changed in the two years since this thread was started.  I would have thought more development would take place along Scott Street near the rail stops by now.  It seems that most of the new construction is pushing in from 59 along McGowen.  I'd be interested to see an update of new proposed projects in this area if anyone has see or heard of anything.  The only thing I can think of is the student apartment complex proposed near Scott and 45.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well after looking for the last three years for some place to make our own we have finally found a fixer upper in Riverside Terrace south of Macgregor and east of Scott.

This area is amazing. If you haven't taken the time to drive through the area your in for an amazing treat. The homes are on large lots they were built in the 50's and its already going crazy over here. We just took possession this week and I have my hands full. Just pulled all of the old carpets out and found the most beautiful hardwoods in excellent condition thanks to the ugly old carpeting that had protected it for so long.

I suggest you drive into the neighborhood on Del Rio to see the beauty of the contoured yards and incredible stock of homes.

Its just minutes from the med center and U. of H. is just north. Ill try and get some photos in some time so you can see the progress.

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

Well after looking for the last three years for some place to make our own we have finally found a fixer upper in Riverside Terrace south of Macgregor and east of Scott.

This area is amazing. If you haven't taken the time to drive through the area your in for an amazing treat. The homes are on large lots they were built in the 50's and its already going crazy over here. We just took possession this week and I have my hands full. Just pulled all of the old carpets out and found the most beautiful hardwoods in excellent condition thanks to the ugly old carpeting that had protected it for so long.

I suggest you drive into the neighborhood on Del Rio to see the beauty of the contoured yards and incredible stock of homes.

Its just minutes from the med center and U. of H. is just north. Ill try and get some photos in some time so you can see the progress.

Congrats!

i have vague memories, perhaps incorrect, of that neighborhood being an absolute shothole 35 years ago.  I am thrilled that it is being reimagined by homeowners like yourself.  I wish you many years of terrific success and happiness in your new home.

Utterly Urban, you need to go back and see how much its changed. I promise you'll be amazed at what has happened over here. They have built three streets of brand new large two story brick homes on 8,000 foot lots back to O.S.T.   Were about in the middle of the neighborhood between South Macgregor and OST. Its a street called Fernwood. I can remember driving around over here back in the early 70's while attending U. of H. and you're right it was sad, but there has been a 

steady renewal especially with the growth of the med center, which is ten minutes down O.S.T. and Holcombe. I only wish we could have done this five years ago. 

The homes  remind me of Southampton, but on much larger lots and the terrain is so interesting. 

18 hours ago, bobruss said:

Utterly Urban, you need to go back and see how much its changed. I promise you'll be amazed at what has happened over here. They have built three streets of brand new large two story brick homes on 8,000 foot lots back to O.S.T.   Were about in the middle of the neighborhood between South Macgregor and OST. Its a street called Fernwood. I can remember driving around over here back in the early 70's while attending U. of H. and you're right it was sad, but there has been a 

steady renewal especially with the growth of the med center, which is ten minutes down O.S.T. and Holcombe. I only wish we could have done this five years ago. 

The homes  remind me of Southampton, but on much larger lots and the terrain is so interesting. 

I am thrilled to hear this.

there was a great documentary on Riverside on PBS probably 30 years ago.  It described how a once affluent and Jewish, as I recall, community gave way to neither over the years.  It made the case that the scar that became 288 was the final blow.  I seem to recall that the documentary also highlighted that the community, when built, was "on par" with River Oaks (being built around the same time) but Jews were not welcome in River Oaks so they went to Riverside instead.  (Great plan, right?  "Let's exclude all the wealthy, educated Jewish Bankers and Merchants but allow all the uneducated, Baptist, leather necks turned wealthy wildcatters.")

anyway, I will need to head over there and take a peak.  I hope that the new houses that you mention took the place of either vacant lots or destroyed relics.  Hopefully the neighborhood will evolve into a lovely mix or new and restored homes on gracious lots.

there was a poster on here maybe a year ago who, along with her family, was restoring an old mansion there.  Perhaps do a search..... she could become a restoration buddy!

Found it: railroad Rae.

9 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

there was a great documentary on Riverside on PBS probably 30 years ago.  It described how a once affluent and Jewish, as I recall, community gave way to neither over the years.  It made the case that the scar that became 288 was the final blow.  I seem to recall that the documentary also highlighted that the community, when built, was "on par" with River Oaks (being built around the same time) but Jews were not welcome in River Oaks so they went to Riverside instead.

Previous HAIF thread

Not mentioned in that thread, but the filmmaker also has a website devoted to the film:

This Is Our Home, It Is Not For Sale

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Houston? said:

This breaks my heart. There goes a historically black neighborhood. :(

What specifically are you referring to?

i am all for preserving our historic riverside terrace homes, in a historically Jewish neighborhood.

I wonder if this will impact Yates High School to the point where it has to consolidate. Maybe it can move to Austin High's campus but it can take the Yates name? Or would Austin just close and consolidate into Yates?

Will Blackshear Elementary last or will it too have to merge with Lockhart? They had Douglass, Dunbar, Blackshear, and Carver. Carver went first, then Douglass (now a private school for the poor), and now Dodson...

Archived