sounds kind of discriminatory to keep the poor people out. well maybe not to the rich.

It is discriminatory. But I also think there are undertones of racial ressentiment in much if not all of the commentary against Coleman. I take raciism for granted in US urban development practices. As with the discussion of door policies at clubs, there are all sorts of ways of discriminating without running afoul of the law, and there are people who are willing to proclaim their intentions.

My question was simply if people are really saying that they want low income housing in Midtown or if they only wanted to rail against Coleman.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My question was simply if people are really saying that they want low income housing in Midtown or if they only wanted to rail against Coleman.

I think the issue is coleman is using tirz funds to try and prevent development in the 3rd ward so he can maintain the status quo with 'his' people.

It wouldn't in the least surprise me to learn that people in the Third Ward would rather have the area improve but remain their neighborhood. Some community roots go deep there, which they don't for the gentry. One imagines that if the work is done for "his" people it's work they want done, regardless of what the sages of HAIF think they should want. Such is American politics.

One imagines that if the work is done for "his" people it's work they want done, regardless of what the sages of HAIF think they should want. Such is American politics.

LOL...he's just wants to buy parcels using TIRZ funds so that developers can't move in. 'his' people won't be helped at all. that is american politics.

LOL...he's just wants to buy parcels using TIRZ funds so that developers can't move in. 'his' people won't be helped at all. that is american politics.

So, what is the power structure of the TIRZ? How will Coleman be able to take advantage of it? I do not know the specific laws or procedures, but maybe TheNiche can find a loophole or two.

Then what we can do is warn the members opposed to his interests and outline exactly how could take the loophole, so they could close the loophole.

OK, so can somebody tell me why Midtown would want the l-i housing in the TIRZ rather than elsewhere adjacent? I don't recall many places with ideas of their own future glory actually cultivating l-i housing as part of its growth plan.

As for homeownership for those who can't afford it, great idea. We could package those loans as structured investment vehicles ...

Yes, it seems this society equates low income = thieves = black/hispanic etc. Do you really think that the low income people are going to stay locked-up in third ward when all the "rich" people live next door in mid-town? :lol: (Hmmm, through what neighborhoods will the University rail line run?)

If you do a search on HCAD using MIDTOWN REDEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY you will see they own a lot of third ward land. By buying land in this quantity the unintended consequences is that the land is going up in value and therefore taxes are going up. Third Ward developers are probably sending Coleman a big "thank you" since he is accelerating the gentrification process.

• 1 year later...

For those of you who live in the MacGregor Superneighborhood, especially in the Riverside/Riverside Terrace areas, come out to the Town Hall Meeting on Thursday evening at 6:30pm at Good Hope Baptist Church on North MacGregor. There's been a rash of violent robberies in the area lately and HPD and other entities will be at hand to discuss what should be done to defeat these brazen criminals.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6620601.html

Did anyone happen to go to this? I couldn't make it, but was interested in what the outcome was.

I went. Sheila Jackson Lee was there, as was Constable May Walker, Police Chief Hurtt, Councilwoman Wanda Adams, Councilmembers Ron Green and Jolanda Jones made quick appearances limited to the audience and scooted out quickly. Tomara Bell from the South MacGregor Civic Club was the moderator, there were constable officers and HPD officers there, as well as representatives from the City of Houston, FBI and DEA. Mayor White and Rep. Al Edwards were supposed to be there, but they weren't. There was a good turnout, I'd say there were 150-200 people there.

Most folks are having problems with home invasions, drug deals taking place near them, abandoned homes, inoperable street lamps (a call to Centerpoint can fix that) and being ambushed in their driveways. Some of these criminals are so brazen as to continue to try to break in even after being threatened with a gun (personally, I think the homeowner should shoot instead of just threaten, that'll stop em for sure). I think the most frightening story told was by a lady who lives on N. MacGregor near Riverside. She told of a man who was at her window masturbating. He ran away after he was noticed. Later, he came back, broke into the house and tried to rape her niece. The police were called and arrived just in time to catch him trying to escape through a window. While there was quick response time to that, one man who lives on Prospect noted that he called HPD to report a man at his door with a gun and it took HPD 40 mins to arrive. There's also trouble with prostitution and drug dealing going on along Riverside Dr, and the lady who had the trouble with the perv has let it be known that she personally tells them to get off of her street, knocking on car windows or pulling up in her car and turning on the hi-beams on the troublemakers.

Chief Hurtt kept talking about the substation on Southmore, but residents pointed out that the substation doesn't help when it's only open from Monday to Friday from 9-5. Crimes occur on the weekend and after 5 pm too. I believe that UT, UH, and TSU police should have been in attendance too. UT police drives through the area along Ardmore and S. MacGregor every once in a while and I'm sure the sections near UH and TSU need some patrolling too.

Basically, the outcome was that the problems of prostitution, and the violent robberies stem from the hot sheet motels, abandoned apartment complexes, and the easy escape route that the Columbia Tap trail provides for criminals to bike back into the heart of Third Ward from whence they came. I believe if the hotels were shut down and demolished, the abandoned complexes shut down and the seedy ones in use bought out, and if regular bike patrols were implemented on the Columbia Tap as they are in Midtown, that would be a great help. I personally suggested that more bike patrol units, lighting and 911 call boxes be placed along the trail.

Regarding those hotels, this lady said that it's hard to get those hotels shut down because when the law goes after an owner, the owner can just switch ownership to their son or something like that and the case is dropped. I don't know what she was talking about or if it's true.

Some good news came from Rev. D.Z. Cofield of Good Hope, stating that he hopes to close on the purchase of the Bayou Landing apartments at 3101 N. MacGregor within two weeks. They've been abandoned since Ike. I don't know what they will put there, but someone told me they want to put upscale housing on that site. They are also trying to purchase the abandoned apartments on Bayou Bend Circle. More good news came in that HPD believes they arrested the 5 punks who robbed the folks at the party. They arrested 5 guys in a car and found ski masks, bandannas, and guns. They were all aged 16-22. Hopefully they'll be put away for a good long time, and hopefully homeowners will fight back even stronger to protect what is theirs.

Thank you for the report! Wish we could have made it. I am glad there was a good turnout.

We recently bought a home over there, but haven't actually moved into it yet. I am hoping more positive things will continue to happen to the neighborhood like the purchase of the old run down apartments. It is such a great area and it is a shame that a few places can bring the whole community down.

• 10 months later...

Hello all. Some of you may remember that I posted here last winter, about to move to the East End. Well, that house fell through, and so did the next one... and now 9 months later, we've contracted on a house in Third Ward, which was our second choice neighborhood. I'm very excited about the new house, which is lovely, and about getting to know my new neighborhood better.

So fill me in, Third Ward residents! Where do you shop? Where do you hang out? Where are the good coffee shops? I'm packing :)

Oh and one more thing: I've been at the new place twice this week and both times my face started itching and stinging/burning. The first time I thought it was something in the house, but the second time it started when we were just walking around the neighborhood, so I am guessing a plant allergy. What is blooming over there right now to make this happen?

The Third Ward is beautiful.

Check in with Project Row Houses. They have movie nights and gallery openings all the time. As for eats, Frenchy's is an institution (on Scott St). I also like Alfreda's on Almeda, pork ribs at BBQ Blues on Almeda, Luigi's Pizza on Almeda (better to eat there) and I haven't tried it yet, but the folks at Breakfast Klub have opened a Jamaican place on Almeda too although that will compete with my all-time favorite restaurant name just a block away, Jamaican Me Hungry! People love Thelma's but I don't like it as much in the new location.

There's plenty of chain stuff near the corner of Scott and Old Spanish Trail although I prefer to grocery shop on Holcombe on the other side of 288 and the TMC (Randall's, Rice Epicurean).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived