Texas Central Project

MaxConcrete

• 2 weeks later...

A train year in review

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2015/12/08/year-in-review-high-speed-rail-builds-leadership.html?s=print

In 2016, the high-speed rail project will continue to raise capital, lock down their route and depot locations, and finalize the project ahead of a 2017 ground breaking.

• Like 2

It sounds like the Gulf Coast Rail district wants the station downtown.  I don't know if they can do much though - what do they currently do?  There's no commuter rail right now, and I don't know of any plans to make any except for Metro's deal with Culberson

http://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2015/12/08/130355/study-would-look-at-new-options-for-high-speed-rail-in-houston/

• Like 1

It sounds like the Gulf Coast Rail district wants the station downtown.  I don't know if they can do much though - what do they currently do?  There's no commuter rail right now, and I don't know of any plans to make any except for Metro's deal with Culberson

http://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2015/12/08/130355/study-would-look-at-new-options-for-high-speed-rail-in-houston/

I'm sure if they can come up with the money and political pull TCR would let them pay for an extension downtown.

Realistically, though, they've got bupkis.

During rush hour, perhaps, but c'mon man even then it's about 20 mins tops 59 to 290. I'm looking at the live transtar camera at 610 and Westheimer right now and traffic is moving fine.

20 minutes tops? I've seen the traffic warning boards showing times of ~50 minutes to make that stretch of 610.. The express commuter lanes cant come soon enough.

• Like 2

20 minutes tops? I've seen the traffic warning boards showing times of ~50 minutes to make that stretch of 610.. The express commuter lanes cant come soon enough.

If there's an accident, maybe.  But that's true of all the freeways.

I'm not saying the West Loop is a breeze during rush hour, but it's not impassable either.

And swinging back to the point here, from a TCR station at NW Mall you can go east or west on I10, north or south on 610 and northwest on 290.  Lots of other options are closer than if the TCR station were in downtown.

If they go with the Commuter rail option, could they use the existing rail lines that run along Hempstead, add a stop by the HSR station, and continue on to the Amtrack station or other location downtown? I assume those lines already carry freight and passenger trains. Could they also accommodate commuter rail cars that run all the way down from the Cypress Park and Ride?

If they go with the Commuter rail option, could they use the existing rail lines that run along Hempstead, add a stop by the HSR station, and continue on to the Amtrack station or other location downtown? I assume those lines already carry freight and passenger trains. Could they also accommodate commuter rail cars that run all the way down from the Cypress Park and Ride?

I think the problem they run into with that is getting permission from the railroad (UP?) to use the tracks.  It could be done but would probably require major schedule changes for freight traffic.  With the new panama canal expansion and the expected freight traffic bump to Houston, there may be a lot of pushback on using existing lines.

• Like 1

If there's an accident, maybe.  But that's true of all the freeways.

I'm not saying the West Loop is a breeze during rush hour, but it's not impassable either.

And swinging back to the point here, from a TCR station at NW Mall you can go east or west on I10, north or south on 610 and northwest on 290.  Lots of other options are closer than if the TCR station were in downtown.

And from a downtown station, you can go east or west on I10, north or south on 45, north(east) or southwest on 59/69, north on the Hardy, south on 288, plus north and south on the Red Line and east on the purple and green lines. 

It is pretty clear that the downtown site would be more convenient to more people and more destinations.  I think the TCR study said as much.  The only reason they are settling on the Northwest site is the cost of acquiring right of way inside the loop.

• Like 1

And from a downtown station, you can go east or west on I10, north or south on 45, north(east) or southwest on 59/69, north on the Hardy, south on 288, plus north and south on the Red Line and east on the purple and green lines. 

It is pretty clear that the downtown site would be more convenient to more people and more destinations.  I think the TCR study said as much.  The only reason they are settling on the Northwest site is the cost of acquiring right of way inside the loop.

I'd venture to guess not too many TCR riders are going to be going east on I10.  Going west on I10 you'll have to pass the NW Mall station to get anywhere.  45 and the Hardy are right off 610.  Not much 59 north or 288 south once you pass TMC.  59 south can be almost as much of a bear as the west loop.

Hey, a downtown station in addition to the NW station would be nice, but we'll do just fine without it.  Maybe it'll spur more than just talk for commuter and light rail service in the uptown area.

• Like 2

I think the problem they run into with that is getting permission from the railroad (UP?) to use the tracks.  It could be done but would probably require major schedule changes for freight traffic.  With the new panama canal expansion and the expected freight traffic bump to Houston, there may be a lot of pushback on using existing lines.

I remember the original proposal to run commuter rail out 290 that had Culberson's support, as not surprisingly it ran through his district. Which just goes to show that Congressmen aren't against proposals on their merit, they're only against them if it doesn't benefit their constituents. But I digress.

I can't remember if that proposal was suggesting to use the UP tracks and ended up being a no go, or if they were suggesting a separate ROW. With all the road construction on 290 now, I'm surprised they didn't try to work in some kind of rail element. In fact, if we're going to be doing these multi year, tens of millions of dollars freeway expansions, there should be a requirement to at least add a ROW for rail transit, even if they don't build it as part of the initial  project. 

50 minutes from 290 to 59 is a ridiculous number and does not exist unless there would be an accident that shuts down all or most lanes, which is something that could happen on any freeway.

20 minutes is really bad traffic likely only due to construction of some kind.  Full speed is less than 5 minutes. 10-15 is a bad rush hour.

Edited by JJxvi
  • Like 1

50 minutes from 290 to 59 is a ridiculous number and does not exist unless there would be an accident that shuts down all or most lanes, which is something that could happen on any freeway.

20 minutes is really bad traffic likely only due to construction of some kind.  Full speed is less than 5 minutes. 10-15 is a bad rush hour.

10-15 minutes bad rush hour is 59-10. 290 is easily 20 minutes.

• Like 1

At tonight's public meeting I spoke with a team member who was very knowledgeable on the project. He appeared to be the lead consultant for the alignment.

For the alignment along Hempstead, they are still working toward a fully elevated structure along Hempstead road, generally on the south side of the road and on the north side of the existing freight railroad. This type of design is depicted in one or more of the documents on the Texas Central web site. The alignment would dip to ground level only at Beltway 8 to go underneath the highway lanes.

In general, Texas Central wants the HSR project to be independent of TxDOT plans and anything the Gulf Coast Rail District may plan for the future. The independence will reduce or eliminate the risk of bureaucratic delays or snafus. So this rules out any cooperation with TxDOT to design the facility to be friendly to TxDOT's plans for the Hempstead toll road. The GCRD appeared to have some concerns about leaving enough space for future commuter rail, but I did not get the details of specific issues of concern.

It seems to me that the positioning of the elevated structure between the railroad and Hempstead Road may not be consistent with the Hempstead Toll Road plan. I'm thinking it would push the toll road corridor further north, requiring more right-of-way acquisition and possibly making it infeasible. As a practical matter, it could potentially preclude the Hempstead Toll Road from being built, although it is difficult to speculate without knowing exactly where the columns for the rail structure will be placed.

At tonight's public meeting I spoke with a team member who was very knowledgeable on the project. He appeared to be the lead consultant for the alignment.

For the alignment along Hempstead, they are still working toward a fully elevated structure along Hempstead road, generally on the south side of the road and on the north side of the existing freight railroad. This type of design is depicted in one or more of the documents on the Texas Central web site. The alignment would dip to ground level only at Beltway 8 to go underneath the highway lanes.

In general, Texas Central wants the HSR project to be independent of TxDOT plans and anything the Gulf Coast Rail District may plan for the future. The independence will reduce or eliminate the risk of bureaucratic delays or snafus. So this rules out any cooperation with TxDOT to design the facility to be friendly to TxDOT's plans for the Hempstead toll road. The GCRD appeared to have some concerns about leaving enough space for future commuter rail, but I did not get the details of specific issues of concern.

It seems to me that the positioning of the elevated structure between the railroad and Hempstead Road may not be consistent with the Hempstead Toll Road plan. I'm thinking it would push the toll road corridor further north, requiring more right-of-way acquisition and possibly making it infeasible. As a practical matter, it could potentially preclude the Hempstead Toll Road from being built, although it is difficult to speculate without knowing exactly where the columns for the rail structure will be placed.

So, sounds like they're going to leverage that to try and get some cash out of HCTRA/TxDOT for the corridor, to make sure that there is space for the Hempstead TR. I'd guess that it would go to drainage improvements in the area, to keep things quiet.

Smart if that's the case.

Pardon if this has been addressed here but what about the idea  of having an Uptown station and a Downtown station (barring cost factor), where the rail is submerged into a tunnel to downtown near the Uptown station. Passengers have a choice of either destinations, Downtown Houston to/from Dallas and Uptown Houston to/from Dallas.

Pardon if this has been addressed here but what about the idea  of having an Uptown station and a Downtown station (barring cost factor), where the rail is submerged into a tunnel to downtown near the Uptown station. Passengers have a choice of either destinations, Downtown Houston to/from Dallas and Uptown Houston to/from Dallas.

Tunnel would probably cost ~$3 billion itself. Not likely to happen up front when you're being funded through private investment.