Texas Central Project

MaxConcrete

Why are we all getting hung up on this? The Northwest Mall site is not the mall itself. Almost certainly the mall will be flattened in the process or at least highly renovated. The old Foley's building will probably get demolished either way, and could provide an impetus to revive that part of town. Besides, even if it wasn't completely demolished, a renovated transit-oriented mall could provide a decent terminal, with places to eat, wait, or buy sundries at. That's what happens at all these actual transit/train stations in reality you guys claim to lionize.

And now you've got some Dallasite deliberately trying to troll you guys by taunting you that it's not downtown, and you're taking the bait.

That's all speculation, I doubt any of that would be paid for by TCR.  Maybe another developer might come in and do that, I hope so. 

You do know that TCR wanted to go downtown but the Fed's nixed it, right?

What's your source on this?  I read that they studied it and basically determined it was too expensive. 

• Like 1

The FRA report (https://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/Details/L17203) is certainly a thick read, but I would recommend at least skimming it if you're intested in this project.

What I can gather from it, TCR had downtown as their goal, but needed to study if the costs of continuing into downtown were worth it compared to the increased revenue.  From it being eliminated in level 1 screening, they used "the Project’s purpose and need, alignment objectives and design guidelines as screening criteria."  

The two downtown alternatives failed on Economic criteria and Environmental criteria

Two alternatives for the Downtown Houston geographic group, DH‐1 and DH‐2, have potential to create significant environmental impacts, thereby resulting in higher per mile costs (TCR’s Last Mile Analysis Report 2015a). Given the cost to build the Downtown Houston potential route alternatives, they do not meet the economic viability of the Project purpose and need. Accordingly, FRA eliminated DH‐1 and DH‐ 2 from further consideration for this Project. 

The discussion of why is on page 22 of the report.  

• Like 1

See, this is the sort of circular reasoning that NIMBYs use to justify what is primarily an irrational emotional response. Yes, it's agreed that the project is needed, but not anywhere near me - that's not a logical argument, that's emotional territoriality. It's based on an unjustified belief in the ownership of one's proximity, as opposed to the plat of land that one has title to.

You see this all the time in infrastructure projects - usually landowners do not mind giving up rights of way or easements - that's either a lucrative one-time transaction, or a steady source of income over the years. Their neighbors, on the other hand, are usually the biggest opponents, and the opposition is couched in terms of territoriality.

If there's a perception that the NIMBY mentality is directed at all things rail, that's probably because they're usually more successful there. There are too many strong countervailing interests in Houston to block a major road project (for example, the Grand Parkway F-2).

I personally have always presented myself as a NIMBY.  To that end I would dispute your reference to territorialism; generally when people make a purchase of a home, it is not unilateraly for the x,000SF parcel but for the community and the immediate surrounding area.  So it would stand to reason that projects, regardless of what they are, that impact the community would have relevance to a resident.

I get that NIMBY'ism has probably prevented good projects from ever happening, and this might be one of them.  But to discount what a person should and shouldn't care about, b/c they do not "own" the land in question, is an overreaction IMO.

We can agree to disagree, in the long run neither of us really have impact on the decisions made.

• Like 1

Then fly. You clearly don't understand the purpose of the train. If you think anyone taking the train to Dallas is only going because the station is close to Downtown or wouldn't take an uber/taxi/limo/driver... you are mistaken my friend.

A lot of people on Dallas forums are ripping the NW mall site.

Personally, (although Im sure theres some things I havent considered) I think relocating both the NW transit center and the high speed rail station at Post Oak Rd and Hempstead would be excellent.  HSR runs NW to Dallas, LRT runs SE through Eureka Yards then through the Heights to Yale-ish to the Washington Corridor to the same lines as Purple and Green downtown and also LRT south on Post Oak Rd to the Uptown line.  Seems like with the new lanes for 290 a bus transit center here could also easily be connected to both 290 and Katy lanes as well, probably easier than the way it currently works at I-10 and Katy rd.

Edited by JJxvi
  • Like 1

I personally have always presented myself as a NIMBY.  To that end I would dispute your reference to territorialism; generally when people make a purchase of a home, it is not unilateraly for the x,000SF parcel but for the community and the immediate surrounding area.  So it would stand to reason that projects, regardless of what they are, that impact the community would have relevance to a resident.

I get that NIMBY'ism has probably prevented good projects from ever happening, and this might be one of them.  But to discount what a person should and shouldn't care about, b/c they do not "own" the land in question, is an overreaction IMO.

We can agree to disagree, in the long run neither of us really have impact on the decisions made.

I would like to present a challenge - would you please lay out the disadvantages to routing the HSR through that corridor that do not have to do with the following:

1. Property values

2. Perceived neighborhood character

3. Noise and visual blight

4. Traffic disruption

For the Washington Ave corridor, the report identified Environmental Impacts to:

- National Historic District Heights Boulevard Esplanade (https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7717105,-95.397202,3a,75y,207.98h,84.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8cJ8b_pQL7I4PAwynWYp3g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 - they'd have to create an elevated crossing or an underpass, disrupting the historic median https://www.houstontx.gov/planning/HistoricPres/HistoricPreservationManual/historic_districts/heights_history.html)

- US Healthworks Hospital (https://www.google.com/maps/place/U.S.+HealthWorks+Medical+Group/@29.7947347,-95.4501751,17z/data=!4m5!1m2!2m1!1sUS+Healthworks+Hospital!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x89ef9847eb343859- I assume having to demolish it)

- Houston and Texas Central Railroad archaeology site (not sure what this is)

- Cottage Grove Park (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cottage+Grove+Park/@29.7783155,-95.4244988,17.46z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xaf158f812431e5ef - it already has a train going by it but a new HSR would probably have to eat up some of the park's land.

also, the FRA noted:

Additionally, DH‐1 also has a potential to disproportionately impact minority populations. 

Edited by cspwal
  • Like 1

:lol: Truly a jewel we cannot live without!

• Like 3

LIST OF CONTENDERS NARROWED FOR HOUSTON HIGH-SPEED RAIL DEPOT

The Federal Railroad Administration has narrowed the list of options for the Houston depot of the planned high-speed rail from Dallas to Houston.

Officials have eliminated both possible options that would have led the track to a depot in the CBD due to concerns over possible environmental damage in densely populated areas. The intersection of Highway 290 and Loop 610 appears to be the most likely contender for Houston’s depot, with the route likely ending around Northwest Mall, the Dallas Business Journal reports.

Construction on the line is slated to begin in 2017, with the first trains estimated to be running by 2021. The trains will travel at speeds of 205 mph and be able to transport passengers from Dallas to Houston in 90 minutes, with the capacity to make 68 trips a day between the two cities. Texas Central Partners, the company behind the project, estimates the high-speed rail could have $36B of potential economic benefits by 2040. [DBJ]

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/other/officials-one-step-closer-to-selecting-houston-depot-for-high-speed-rail-52511?rt=title_alt_1?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

• Like 1

I guess this area has promise to be a nice area way way down the line, but I doubt that's going to come to full fruitition in our lifetimes. Overtime if the rail center was connected to light rail and prices rose, a lot of those warehouses and run down apartments would relocate to cheaper facilities or cash in on their greatly appreciated land value. This new development would tie in better to Uptown and the two gentrifying neighborhoods west and east that are rapidly filling in with townhomes and stucco mcmansion rebuilds.

• Like 1

I think that is the way to think of it - in 30 years it won't be advertised as "minutes away from downtown" it will be advertised "in Houston's trendy North Uptown neighborhood"

Can you imagine the traffic at the 610/290/I-10 interchange if Uptown builds out with highrises fully like it's already on its way to do, Westcreek builds out, and this area takes off with dense development? :unsure:

If Houston really wanted to commit to this, complete the University and Uptown lines that have already been voted on and extend the Green/Purple lines through the Washington corridor and out Hempstead HWY (the first option on the maps posted a few pages back) to meet the NW Mall station.  Even if the train came into downtown it would almost certainly have to slow down as it traveled through the densely populated neighborhoods anyways.  By building these three lines, nearly every major business center (and most neighborhoods BTW) of inner Houston would be connected by rail, as well as giving the option to riders of the TCR which part of town to travel to.

As for later expansion, add heavy commuter rail to the major corridors (Hardy Toll & 59 N from the North Redline station, I-10 West from the NW Mall Station, Westpark from the Westpark TC, 45 S fromt the Palm TC, Etc.) once HWY construction is maxed out and Houston is truly a mobile city.

Now all of that is more of a pipe dream, but the 3 light rail solutions have all been studied already, are all in desperate need of street renovation and add more flexibility than a downtown station would considering how spread out our major business centers are.

Edited by morrchr1
  • Like 4

The FRA report (https://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/Details/L17203) is certainly a thick read, but I would recommend at least skimming it if you're intested in this project.

What I can gather from it, TCR had downtown as their goal, but needed to study if the costs of continuing into downtown were worth it compared to the increased revenue.  From it being eliminated in level 1 screening, they used "the Project’s purpose and need, alignment objectives and design guidelines as screening criteria."  

The two downtown alternatives failed on Economic criteria and Environmental criteria

The discussion of why is on page 22 of the report.  

Thanks, apologies for the laziness should have read the report before commenting. 

It looks like this was an internal analysis done by TCR and they themselves made the decision that it would be too costly and a negative return on their investment if they came all the way downtown, which is what most of us thought would happen in the first place. 

Like I said above, looks like an internal analysis/decision and not the feds not allowing it. 

If they had tons of money to spare, they'd do it. 

Karbach brewery is going to be within walking distance.

Now there's an idea... why not set up a TIRZ for the transformation of that area into the Brewery District or something like that (maybe the Texas Central District if they agree to an increased tax share)? Might also incentivize some of those industrial businesses to start moving outward on 290.

• Like 1

I suspect that the city is about to become VERY amenable (even moreso) to new TIRZs.  With the city property taxes being capped by revenue anyway, a TIRZ is one way to at least collect money and do something with it inside its district without having to give it all back through tax rate decreases because of the revenue cap.

Edited by JJxvi
  • Like 1

it simply comes down to money bottom line. if theres not a light rail extension to this which makes it easier for people to go from the NW station to other parts of houston this will just be a massive disaster.

How would it be a massive disaster?  Are Hobby and IAH massive disasters?  Neither one has light rail service.

• Like 1

How would it be a massive disaster?  Are Hobby and IAH massive disasters?  Neither one has light rail service.

Not only that, but it's as if taxis/towncars/Uber don't exist.

As much as I'd like some sort of rail out that way, it's likely that the target consumer for TCR would prefer taxis or rideshares over public transportation, anyway.

• Like 2

Looks like Citylab would have prefered a downtown station

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/11/amid-great-progress-texas-high-speed-rail-takes-a-big-step-back/416733/

More broadly, conventional wisdom holds that HSR stations function better for city residents when they’re located downtown. That point was emphasized in arecent report by Eric Eidlin of the U.S. Federal Transit Administration on best practices from around the world. Downtown stations not only serve as investment anchors but also urban mobility hubs, facilitating access by taxi, bike, or public transportation. Stations on the outskirts, meanwhile, tend to have more parking and thus to encourage more driving.

• Like 1