Parkside Residences: 43-Story Residential High-Rise At 808 Crawford St.

largeTEXAS

When talking about a building foundation, no properly designed or built foundation system will ever be the linchpin in a building lifespan.  A good foundation will last FAR longer than anything built above it.  NOTE: I am talking about large public or private buildings, I am not talking about under 6 story timber framed anything.

FYI foundations are subject to differential settlement in our soils (differential meaning that your building is falling or rising differently from adjacent ones).  For a building like Texas Tower or other tall structures you expect to see 3 windows of settlement:

1. initial (foundation install to right after install)
  2. during construction (as the concrete or steel frame adds weight the building sinks)
  3. upon completion

During phase 1-2 you MIGHT see 2-6 inches (it will all be engineered and expected).  Upon completion you will see less than an inch and then it becomes part of the neighborhood and is no longer subject to any tangible differential settlement. 

Foundation failures are extremely rare but they do happen.  A good recent example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Tower_(San_Francisco)#Sinking_and_tilting_problem

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, thatguysly said:

Quite a while. Nothing in Houston is on rock. From skyscrapers to refineries to airports everything is on pilings. 

Yes. But whether other buildings in Houston are on rock will not affect the lifespan of downtown skyscrapers. If a mat foundation tilts a little, it affects a 1,000 ft building more than it affects a refinery or an airport. And there is much more weight on it to make it tilt.

1 hour ago, tangledwoods said:

When talking about a building foundation, no properly designed or built foundation system will ever be the linchpin in a building lifespan.  A good foundation will last FAR longer than anything built above it.  NOTE: I am talking about large public or private buildings, I am not talking about under 6 story timber framed anything.

FYI foundations are subject to differential settlement in our soils (differential meaning that your building is falling or rising differently from adjacent ones).  For a building like Texas Tower or other tall structures you expect to see 3 windows of settlement:

1. initial (foundation install to right after install)
  2. during construction (as the concrete or steel frame adds weight the building sinks)
  3. upon completion

During phase 1-2 you MIGHT see 2-6 inches (it will all be engineered and expected).  Upon completion you will see less than an inch and then it becomes part of the neighborhood and is no longer subject to any tangible differential settlement. 

Foundation failures are extremely rare but they do happen.  A good recent example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Tower_(San_Francisco)#Sinking_and_tilting_problem

So in 100 or 200 years, our tallest towers are still standing perfectly straight? Or does some other factor (brittleness of structural frame?) get them before then?

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 3:35 PM, Twinsanity02 said:

Let me understand this. There are 33 ft of clay followed by 37 feet of sand? Which is then followed by 25 feet of clay, 25 feet of sand, and finally 30 feet of clay.

Amazing. Here in Houston I thought it was clay to the Earth's core.

At a more macro level, we have clay layers interspersed with aquifer layers for several thousand feet. Lots of sand and clay, not much that's solid.

8 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

So how long can any of these buildings last if they're not on rock?

Depends. If things stay as they are, centuries.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Was Discovery Green named after the Discovery Shuttle?

I would say, named with the shuttle in mind as a sort of vague tribute to the city's connection with space exploration. Not so much the shuttle itself as the whole spirit of NASA's endeavors over the years.

And with the double meaning of being a place for kids to discover things and for Houstonians to discover what urbanism is.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I would say, named with the shuttle in mind as a sort of vague tribute to the city's connection with space exploration. Not so much the shuttle itself as the whole spirit of NASA's endeavors over the years.

And with the double meaning of being a place for kids to discover things and for Houstonians to discover what urbanism is.

I was watching the Challenger documentary on Netflix last night and it kinda hit me with all the Discovery shuttle talk. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hindesky said:

While checking out the Trammel Crow and Andres websites they have 2 conflicting images of what this building will look like, I sure hope it ends up being the latter.

zzZwz5u.jpg

XJ3Wcf1.png

There were multiple renderings released over a few years for this. The bottom picture is the most recent and supposedly final rendering.

• Like 4

Crawler cranes are to be dismantled this weekend, street closures.

1500 Walker [La Branch & Crawford]
Friday, October 16 [7PM]  to Sunday, October 18 [7pm]
Closed for a Crane de-mobilization. 
Detour: Crawford, left on Capitol, left on LaBranch. 

• Like 6

On 10/10/2020 at 11:41 PM, hindesky said:

While checking out the Trammel Crow and Andres websites they have 2 conflicting images of what this building will look like, I sure hope it ends up being the latter.

zzZwz5u.jpg

XJ3Wcf1.png

If I were a bettin man, I would put money on @Paco Jones and the stuff he posted. So my money is on the final render.

• Like 5

On 10/21/2020 at 9:27 AM, HouTXRanger said:

Although I'll never be able to afford it, damn is that a slick looking tower. I wonder if it'll be one of the city's "Historic" landmarks by 2100 . . .

Either that or they'll spend six months chipping all of these pilings out. 

• Like 2