Parkside Residences: 43-Story Residential High-Rise At 808 Crawford St.

largeTEXAS

Putzmeister = she fancy!

Most people have no idea how incredible advanced the concrete business has gotten.  You can look at things like these placing booms or the self climbing formwork (checkout the latest pics on The Allen for a good example).  

What is going to be really interesting in the next 24 months is if any of the new developer jobs go to steel frame.  Steel prices have collapsed and concrete hasnt really dropped.  Wood products are going up in price and I think we might see 1-2 jobs switch to steel if they aren't too invested in the structural design.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, tangledwoods said:

Most people have no idea how incredible advanced the concrete business has gotten.  You can look at things like these placing booms or the self climbing formwork (checkout the latest pics on The Allen for a good example).  

What is going to be really interesting in the next 24 months is if any of the new developer jobs go to steel frame.  Steel prices have collapsed and concrete hasnt really dropped.  Wood products are going up in price and I think we might see 1-2 jobs switch to steel if they aren't too invested in the structural design.

I've been wondering this: is there an advantage over using steel vs concrete/wood? I've seen your question in other threads and just wondered since no onw has really answered it.

• Like 1

I've been wondering this: is there an advantage over using steel vs concrete/wood? I've seen your question in other threads and just wondered since no onw has really answered it.

In developer world advantage = dollars.  So that is why we see so many concrete frames for tall buildings.  Back when the Chevron new 50+ story was real, that project was slated to use steel. 

There are really 2-3 positives to steel vs concrete:

1. Steel typically has a lower interstitial depth (distance from bottom of structure to finished floor above). On a tall building, this can add up to decent savings:  if your structure reduces 5" per floor then on that 50 story building you could cut 21ft of facade out and still have equal interior spaces.
  2. Steel typically is faster than concrete.  On a tall building steel will go up much faster than a concrete frame.
  3. Steel is more flexible.  If you have a building with geometry, long spans, or variable column spacing, steel can be easier to work with.
  4. Bonus: steel is seen as more environmentally friendly (not that Texas cares too much).  Concrete (specifically the cement used in concrete) is responsible for 8% ish of all CO2 emissions in the world.  Both steel and concrete are recyclable but steel is more often recycled and a lower carbon footprint.
  • Like 9

21 minutes ago, tangledwoods said:

In developer world advantage = dollars.  So that is why we see so many concrete frames for tall buildings.  Back when the Chevron new 50+ story was real, that project was slated to use steel. 

There are really 2-3 positives to steel vs concrete:

1. Steel typically has a lower interstitial depth (distance from bottom of structure to finished floor above). On a tall building, this can add up to decent savings:  if your structure reduces 5" per floor then on that 50 story building you could cut 21ft of facade out and still have equal interior spaces.
  2. Steel typically is faster than concrete.  On a tall building steel will go up much faster than a concrete frame.
  3. Steel is more flexible.  If you have a building with geometry, long spans, or variable column spacing, steel can be easier to work with.
  4. Bonus: steel is seen as more environmentally friendly (not that Texas cares too much).  Concrete (specifically the cement used in concrete) is responsible for 8% ish of all CO2 emissions in the world.  Both steel and concrete are recyclable but steel is more often recycled and a lower carbon footprint.

Interesting. So what are the advantages of concrete over steel? Isn't it usually cheaper? Is it more fire resistant? More rigid?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Interesting. So what are the advantages of concrete over steel? Isn't it usually cheaper? Is it more fire resistant? More rigid?

1. Concrete frames are almost always cheaper (but that might be changing)
  2. Concrete is more flexible for slab edge facade anchorage (unless you are using lost of post tensioning)
  3. Concrete doesn't typically require additional fireproofing 
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, tangledwoods said:

1. Concrete frames are almost always cheaper (but that might be changing)
  2. Concrete is more flexible for slab edge facade anchorage (unless you are using lost of post tensioning)
  3. Concrete doesn't typically require additional fireproofing 

And rigidity? Do concrete buildings sway as much in the wind?

• Like 2

And rigidity? Do concrete buildings sway as much in the wind?

i am NOT an engineer, but from the construction side we do talk about movement (sway) and it isnt really a consideration until you get very very tall (then you get fun things like tuned mass dampers).

In my experience, there is no difference between concrete and steel on building sway.  

• Like 2

Interesting, based on the latest pics this will be built like 111 W 57th in NYC where the two smaller sides are basically solid allowing for the skinny/thinner construction. 

As for the lot it is my understanding that the architect for Hess tower convinced Hess to build the garage on a portion of the block and save the rest for future development. However that is only based on rumors/hearsay. Maybe others on here can confirm if true. 

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what this blue steel form is for? This looks like it might be the elevator shaft but I doubt that worn out piece of steel will be part of the finished building.

Its self climbing formwork.  Here is a decent video explaining how it works:

PERI ACS Core 400 Climbing Formwork - Customer Testimonial - YouTube

Long story short:  It is a faster, cheaper, and safer way to place concrete for repetitive vertical stuff like elevator and stair shafts.  All of it gets removed at the completion of the concrete work and sent to the next project. 

• Like 6