Parkside Residences: Multifamily High-Rise At 808 Crawford St.

largeTEXAS

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, enriquewx91 said:

how much parking do they need haha

According to Downtown Houston, there will be 314 units x 2 vehicles would be 628 parking spots plus visitors, guest and staff that is going to be quite a few parking spots necessary. Add a tiny narrow footprint.

I3xYLcd.png

https://www.downtownhouston.org/media/uploads/attachments/2021-02-04/210203_Development_Map_11x17.pdf

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, hindesky said:

According to Downtown Houston, there will be 314 units x 2 vehicles would be 628 parking spots plus visitors, guest and staff that is going to be quite a few parking spots necessary. Add a tiny narrow footprint.

I3xYLcd.png

https://www.downtownhouston.org/media/uploads/attachments/2021-02-04/210203_Development_Map_11x17.pdf

I doubt they have 2 parking spots for every unit.  The market for downtown apartments seems to be 1 per unit.  More than that costs extra.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hindesky said:

I wonder if they can park next door if more parking is necessary of tenants? Is there going to have a ramp built to the garage next door? I would assume that some of the 2 & 3 bedrooms would need more than 1 spot.

I doubt they will be connected to the garage next door or that it will be an issue.

This is not Trammel Crow Residential's first rodeo.  I'm sure they have a solid handle on how many parking spaces they will need (and even if most of the 2- and 3-bedroom tenants take 2 spaces, the math seems to work out pretty well).

• Like 2

I know this sounds crazy, but even in Houston, some of those units won't need *any* parking. Yes, some weirdos will rent an apartment downtown with multiple vehicles per household, but they'll be at least somewhat balanced out by those with no car. Even in a market rate building. Even in Houston.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

I know this sounds crazy, but even in Houston, some of those units won't need *any* parking. Yes, some weirdos will rent an apartment downtown with multiple vehicles per household, but they'll be at least somewhat balanced out by those with no car. Even in a market rate building. Even in Houston.

Exactly right.  And apartment developers have noticed.  That is why the the downtown market standard now seems to be 1 parking spot per unit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Exactly right.  And apartment developers have noticed.  That is why the the downtown market standard now seems to be 1 parking spot per unit.

Actually, developers have to follow the required parking spots per unit type ratios set by the authority having jurisdiction.  In this case it is the City of Houston.  Architects are typically the ones who manage this equation during the design phases.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/DevelopRegs/docs_pdfs/parking_req.pdf

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Paco Jones said:

Actually, developers have to follow the required parking spots per unit type ratios set by the authority having jurisdiction.  In this case it is the City of Houston.  Architects are typically the ones who manage this equation during the design phases.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/DevelopRegs/docs_pdfs/parking_req.pdf

Hope this helps.

Actually, those parking requirements do not apply in downtown Houston.  (If they did apply, this building would be required to have 449 parking spaces. The information you helpfully provided earlier says they are only building  417.)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Actually, those parking requirements do not apply in downtown Houston.  (If they did apply, this building would be required to have 449 parking spaces. The information you helpfully provided earlier says they are only building  417.)

Hey, thanks for the info!  I didn't realize that.

It also seems that Mid-Town and EaDo aren't required to follow that code either.

Well, most of Midtown. They carved out the east side because townhouse owners complained or something.

Also the transit corridors (Red line, Green line, Purple line, Uptown BRT) - somewhat complicated, but within 1/4 mile of a station is exempt, 1/2 mile is exempt or cut in half depending on use. Although 1/2 mile is opt-in for some reason.

And the planned University line has a kind of preliminary partial transit corridor status with the 1/2 mile opt-in standards.

Also protected historic buildings and contributing buildings in historic districts half their parking requirements cut in half.

And a 10% discount on parking reqs for including bike parking in some cases.

...that's everything I'm aware of that mitigates the City's terrible parking requirements. 

17 hours ago, hindesky said:

I'm going to say I doubt it. You have 3 restaurants next door and 3 or 4 more at GRB. Footprint on the building is tiny.

A little bitty cafe would be nice. Although, I’m not sure if that would work financially. 

• Like 1