35 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

What happened to Baker Hughes?

13 minutes ago, cspwal said:

They got bought by GE

Sort of.  Actually, they merged with GE Oil & Gas to become Baker Hughes - a GE Company.  My understanding is they were not eligible for this list only because they did not have three full quarters of financials.  They should be back next year.

• Like 2

That's right. The last 100 years of having an un-diversified economy has been very unhealthy for Houston. If we don't diversify soon it will only be a matter of time before everyone moves away and they take all the high-rise towers with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reporter said:

That's right. The last 100 years of having an un-diversified economy has been very unhealthy for Houston. If we don't diversify soon it will only be a matter of time before everyone moves away and they take all the high-rise towers with them.

You are correct. We're already losing much of the petrochemical industry to India, China and South Korea thanks to people in our government who believe in the free market so much that they don't even want to negotiate on trade, they just give it all away. Electric cars will ruin the rest. Fortunately this will happen after I'm retired or dead. If I was in my 20s I'm not sure I'd invest too much of my life in Houston. I might rent instead of buying. If there really is a switch to renewable energy Houston will stagnate, house prices will drop and crime will rise. I love the city and it's been very good to me but I'm not sure about it's long term future. It could easily go down the same path as Detroit.

• Like 2

And NYC could get hit by a giant tsunami! 

I'm not saying that I think diversity is bad or that Houston wouldn't be a better place with a brighter future if it was less oil dependent. I'm just saying that I've been hearing that Houston has no future unless it changes it ways for my entire lifetime and the glass towers are still rising and the people keep moving in for some reason.

Anyway, I'm not losing any sleep over it because if things get too bad, Houston can always annex Austin or something.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Reporter said:

And NYC could get hit by a giant tsunami! 

I'm not saying that I think diversity is bad or that Houston wouldn't be a better place with a brighter future if it was less oil dependent. I'm just saying that I've been hearing that Houston has no future unless it changes it ways for my entire lifetime and the glass towers are still rising and the people keep moving in for some reason.

Anyway, I'm not losing any sleep over it because if things get too bad, Houston can always annex Austin or something.

Those predictions came true in the 80s. Many lives were ruined. If you happened to be the wrong age it would have seemed to you like Houston crashed and never recovered. My grandparents bought in the wrong neighborhood and lost a lot of money.  It could definitely happen again, in fact I'd say it's almost certainly going to happen again. Choose where you buy carefully, think about how the neighborhood would look if Houston had 15% unemployment. 

The company I'm working for is currently in the process of sending all our work to India and China. We are literally training our replacements and handing over our technology to them. Another company just down the street is so desperate for work they are designing a facility for a Chinese engineering company who will then take the design and compete against them with it. Their choice was "take this project or shutdown the company". They'll do this last project and then shutdown. 

Other countries we work with have protections in place to keep this from happening. Saudi Arabia absolutely does not allow this. When we do work for them we have to buy into a local company, use local staff and train them. We are so fascinated with "free trade" that we don't even make an attempt to get a fair deal. The rest of the world just screws us over again and again.  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

New Fortune 500 list out today. Houston metro area has 22 on the list (21 in Houston, 1 in The Woodlands).   14 of the 22 are oil & gas industry, 2 chemical companies, 2 other energy companies (CenterPoint & Calpine) and 4 other (Sysco, Waste Management, Group 1 Automotive, and Crown Castle).  In 2014, we had 23 companies in the Fortune 500 and 18 of them were in Oil & Gas.

Phillips 66
Sysco
ConocoPhillips
Plains GP Holdings
Enterprise Products Partners
Baker Hughes
Halliburton
Occidental Petroleum
EOG Resources
Waste Management
Kinder Morgan
CenterPoint Energy
Quanta Services
Group 1 Automotive
Calpine
Cheniere Energy
Targa Resources
National Oilwell Varco
Huntsman
Westlake Chemical
Apache
Crown Castle

We have an additional 19 in the Fortune 1000.   13 of the 19 are oil & gas industry. 6 other.

KBR
Par Pacific Holdings
Marathon Oil
Noble Energy
Insperity
American National Insurance
MRC Global
Service Corp. International
Crestwood Equity Partners
Southwestern Energy
Tailored Brands
NOW
Kirby
Comfort Systems USA
Genesis Energy
Patterson-UTI Energy
Oasis Petroleum
Cabot Oil & Gas
Oceaneering International

• Like 6

Someone with some extra time on their hands should compile a list of Houston's and other nearby metro areas' top 20 largest employers and how many employees they have in each city. Data can be found online. This would give a better picture of who the dominant players are in each economy. The Fortune 500 list ignores massive local employers like Exxon and Shell since they are not headquartered here, and also ignores the big hospitals, which are some of the area's largest employers.

Similarly in Dallas, you have a company like Texas Instruments which is only ranked 222th and yet is one of the basic building blocks of their economy, with a huge workforce and anchoring so many other companies, much more important to them than Exxon-Mobil or McKesson (ranked 3rd and 9th). You also have Raytheon, which is not based there but a huge employer.

From Greater Houston Partnership:

Largest employers (excluding government employers (except hospitals, universities and research centers) and fast food chains).

More than 20,000:

H-E-B

Houston Methodist

Memorial Hermann Health System

UT MD Anderson Cancer Center

Walmart

10,000 - 19,999:

ExxonMobil

HCA

Kroger

National Oilwell Varco

Schlumberger

Shell Oil Co.

Texas Children's Hospital

United Airlines

UT Medical Branch Health System

5,000 - 9,999

AT&T

Baker Hughes

Baylor College of Medicine

BP America

CenterPoint Energy

Chevron

CHI St Luke's Health

Dow Chemical Co

Halliburton

Harris Health System

Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Home Depot

Houston Community College

JPMorgan Chase

KBR

Lone Star College

Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center

S&B Engineers and Constructors

Target Corp.
University of Houston

UT Health Science Center

Walgreens

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 4

From the Dallas Regional Chamber of Commerce:

10,000 +

American Airlines Group

AT&T

Bank of America

Baylor Scott & White

JPMorgan Chase

Kroger

Lockheed Martin

Medical City Healthcare

Naval Air Station

Parkland Hospital

Southwest Airlines

Texas Health Resources

Texas Instruments

UPS

US Postal Service

UT Southwestern Medical Center

Walmart

5,000 - 9,999

Army & Air Force Exchange Service

Children's Health

CookChildren's Health Care System

Dallas County Community College District

FedEx

Fidelity Investments

Home Depot

J.C. Penney

L-3 Technologies

Lowe's

McAfee

Methodist Health System

Pepsico

Raytheon

State Farm Insurance

Target

Tom Thumb

University of North Texas System

Verizon Communications

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Yes, you read that right. Read it again. Bask in it. No, it's not HP Inc., which would be better. Yes, their best days are probably behind them. No, it won't tilt the tech universe towards Houston. Yes, it still helps our image. Hopefully there will be significant job relocations (>100).

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/01/hpe-is-relocating-headquarters-to-houston-from-california.html

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Houston will soon have another Fortune 500 company. Hewlett Packard Enterprise announced today that it will relocate its headquarters here from Silicon Valley. It’s the latest example of Houston’s aggressive efforts to relocate major corporate headquarters and create a more robust digital tech ecosystem.

#houston #hewlettpackard #texas #technology #computers

Hewlett Packard Enterprise Relocating Global HQ to Houston houston.org • 3 min read

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Fortune 500 In Houston
  • 4 months later...

New Fortune 500 list out today. Houston metro area has 23 (up from 22 last year) on the list (21 in Houston, 1 in The Woodlands, 1 in Katy).   13 of the 23 are oil & gas industry, 2 chemical companies.  In 2014, we had 23 companies in the Fortune 500 and 18 of them were in Oil & Gas.  In reality, we have 24; they still list NRG (#333) as being headquartered in New Jersey, but it is now fully-headquartered in Houston.  So our concentration in Oil & Gas is now just barely above 50% (13 of 24).

• Phillips 66
  • Sysco
  • Enterprise Products Partners
  • Hewlett Packard Enterprise
  • Plains GP Holdings
  • Baker Hughes
  • ConocoPhillips
  • Occidental Petroleum
  • Waste Management
  • Halliburton
  • Kinder Morgan
  • Quanta Services
  • EOG Resources
  • Group 1 Automotive
  • Cheniere Energy
  • CenterPoint Energy
  • Targa Resources
  • Westlake Chemical
  • NOV
  • Huntsman
  • Crown Castle International
  • KBR
  • Academy Sports & Outdoors

Calpine dropped out because they are now privately-held. Apache (now known as APA) dropped to #595.  New to the list for Houston are Academy Sports & Outdoors (went public), Hewlett Packard Enterprise (relocated from California) and KBR (up from #501 last year).

We have an additional 16 in the Fortune 1000.   9 of the 16 are oil & gas industry. 

• APA (Apache)
  • Insperity
  • American National Group
  • Service Corp. International
  • Par Pacific Holdings
  • Marathon Oil
  • Comfort Systems USA
  • Western Midstream Partners
  • MRC Global    
  • LGI Homes
  • Southwestern Energy
  • Stewart Information Services
  • Crestwood Equity Partners
  • Kirby
  • Murphy Oil  
  • ChampionX

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Avossos said:

So how do we rank with other metropolitan areas?

Here's some figures (warning might be incorrect since I don't know the metro areas to well)

New York: 44 in the city but blank on the metro.

Los Angles: says 2 in the city but I don't know the metro.

Houston: 24

DFW: 22

Minneapolis-St. Paul: 18

Atlanta: 16

Austin: 2

San Antonio: 2

Some journalist or person on city data might be able to generate a full ranking of the metros in the next couple of weeks, but this is what I got from the few cities/metros I looked at.

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 2

BisNow had an articl

On 6/11/2021 at 7:53 PM, Avossos said:

So how do we rank with other metropolitan areas?

BisNow did an article about this:  https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/economic-development/houston-in-third-place-for-most-number-of-fortune-500-hqs-109194?utm_source=outbound_pub_4&utm_campaign=outbound_issue_48954&utm_content=outbound_link_1&utm_medium=email

Metro areas:

1. New York City:  64
  2. Chicago:  35
  3. Houston:  24
  4. DFW:  22
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • The title was changed to Fortune 500 In Houston
  • 2 months later...

New Fortune 500 list out today. Houston metro area has  24 (25 if you count ExxonMobil, which is still listed in Irving) (up from 23 last year).  (20 in Houston, 1 in The Woodlands, 1 in Katy,  3 in Spring (including ExxonMobil).  

Texas is now up to 53 Fortune 500 companies.  EDIT:  It looks like 53 Fortune 500 companies in Texas moves us into First Place among the states, moving ahead of both New York (51) and California (50).

• (ExxonMobil)
  • Phillips 66
  • Sysco
  • ConocoPhillips
  • Enterprise Products Partners
  • Hewlett Packard Enterprise
  • Plains GP Holdings
  • NRG Energy
  • Occidental Petroleum
  • Baker Hughes
  • EOG Resources
  • Waste Management
  • Targa Resources
  • Kinder Morgan
  • Cheniere Energy
  • Halliburton
  • Group 1 Automotive
  • Quanta Services
  • Westlake
  • Huntsman
  • CenterPoint Energy
  • APA
  • KBR
  • Academy Sports & Outdoors
  • Southwestern Energy

NOV dropped to #566.  Crown Castle dropped to #503.   New to the list for Houston are Southwestern Energy (moved up from Fortune 1000 to Fortune 500); NRG Energy (established Houston as its sole HQ); APA (moved up); and of course ExxonMobil.

We have an additional 19 in the Fortune 1000 (up from 16 last year).   

• Crown Castle International
  • NOV
  • Marathon Oil
  • Insperity
  • Par Pacific Holdings
  • Crestwood Equity Partners
  • Mattress Firm Group
  • American National Group
  • Service Corp. International
  • Coterra Energy
  • Stewart Information Services
  • ChampionX
  • Comfort Systems USA
  • LGI Homes
  • Western Midstream Partners
  • MRC Global    
  • Murphy Oil  
  • Kirby
  • Genesis Energy
Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...

AIG spun-off a chunk of their portfolio at the AIG campus on Allen Parkway, creating a new Financial Services called Corebridge Financial with $350B in assets under management and annual revenues projected at about $30 billion. It will be Houston’s newest Fortune 500 company along with ExxonMobil

https://capital.com/amp/aig-corebridge-spinoff-valuation-ipo-timing-details

This was a couple months ago but noticed it not posted so I went ahead.

Edited by Caribomoa
  • Like 7

49 minutes ago, Caribomoa said:

AIG spun-off a chunk of their portfolio at the AIG campus on Allen Parkway, creating a new Financial Services called Corebridge Financial with $350B in assets under management and annual revenues projected at about $30 billion. It will be Houston’s newest Fortune 500 company along with ExxonMobil

https://capital.com/amp/aig-corebridge-spinoff-valuation-ipo-timing-details

This was a couple months ago but noticed it not posted so I went ahead.

Eventually, maybe the Chronicle will notice. But since it's not in Connecticut, maybe not (has anyone else noticed the plethora of Connecticut stories we're getting in the Chronicle these days, at least in the Business section?  Hard to imagine, but the paper keeps getting worse.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, strickn said:

BHP (headquartered in Melbourne) spun off its petroleum division this year, and it merged with an Australian company www.woodside.com, hence the new signage atop 1500 Post Oak.  But Woodside has not put its headquarters in 1500 Post Oak (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Yeah.  Pretty sure Woodside’s HQ is in Australia, as was BHP’s.

• 5 months later...

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Chronicle had such a prompt story about Houston's number of Fortune 500 companies.  And they even touted that we have more than "any other city other than New York City".  That is false.  Chicago metro also has more than Houston.

And then, they reported our number wrong. With the number they reported, we would not even  be the third-ranked metro.  I was briefly confused because, despite at least suggesting that we had more than DFW, she reported fewer.  And the Dallas Morning News  even said Houston has more than DFW.

Fortune  even did the work for them, showing the numbers in the largest concentrations.

Houston   - 25 Fortune 500  companies, not 22 as reported by the Chronicle (and that's still without ExxonMobil, which will officially relocate in the next couple months).  In 2022 we had 24.

Dallas  - 24 (including ExxonMobil).  In 2022 DFW had 23.

1.  New York City  59
  2. Chicago  31
  3. Houston  25 (26 with ExxonMobil)
  4. DFW  24 (23 without ExxonMobil)
  5. San Jose  20

Texas is the top state with 55.  California second with 53.  New York third with 50.

• Like 2