4 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

This is such a beautiful building.  This will have such an effect on this side of downtown during the next building cycle.

4 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

This is such a beautiful building.  This will have such an effect on this side of downtown during the next building cycle.

It is more amazing then I thought!  A friend of mine moving from United Airlines off Jefferson to 609 Main cannot wait.  He works for refunds and accounting off Smith are also moving there.  Maybe Customer Care from North Houston.   

Third law firm grabs space in downtown's 609 Main

San Francisco-based Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe has leased nearly 57,000 square feet at downtown trophy tower 609 Main, which has turned into a law firm hot spot.

Orrick will join other law firms Chicago-based Kirkland & Ellis and Washington, D.C.-based Hogan Lovells as tenants in the more than 1-million-square foot tower under construction in downtown Houston.

The 48-story tower, which is being built by D.E. Harvey Builders and topped out in June, is now 50 percent preleased, according to a statement from Hines. However, that percentage includes 138,000 square feet that is still in lease negotiations and has not been announced yet, according to Mark Clegg, a spokesman for Hines.

• Like 8

Thats a great shot The Pragmatist. I like how the Shell and Allied Bank Building frame 609 and a bonus with the  Gulf and Esperson.

I just noticed you captured the Chase and Pennzoil  and the old HL&P . I used to walk by the sunken garden every once in a while. 

I think it was designed by Noguchi.  Nice change of pace.  Does anyone know if its still there Is it still there?

NHYA593A8FMG.png

^^^ @Yoda outstanding illustrations, as usual, my pal.  however, next time you're out may you grab some shots of the garage areas and front door activity?

these are the areas that we hardly get to see.  i can only imagine that they are looking quite cool by now.  props!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobruss said:

Thats a great shot The Pragmatist. I like how the Shell and Allied Bank Building frame 609 and a bonus with the  Gulf and Esperson.

I just noticed you captured the Chase and Pennzoil  and the old HL&P . I used to walk by the sunken garden every once in a while. 

I think it was designed by Noguchi.  Nice change of pace.  Does anyone know if its still there Is it still there?

I'd be interested in hearing more about this sunken garden.. I've never seen it, but recall hearing stories about it. Where was it at? When I googled Noguchi sunken garden the only thing that popped up was one in NYC.

If you look closely at the base of the building to the north of Shell you can see the bridge that spans the sunken garden. I believe the building is now a municipal building, but it used to be the headquarters for Houston Lighting and Power. It was made of thousands of stone blocks in a seres of round and curved patterns. It kind of resembled mosaics from above, with large rocks in it like a Japanese garden. r at leas thats how my mind seems to remember.

18 hours ago, Texasota said:

I do not understand supertall fetishism. 

Same here I have a feet fetishism lol.  My Dad said be grateful for what you have rather then what you don't have.  Once finished this building will be spectacular.  Hines will get what he wants Platinum LEED certification.  Remember it as was proposed 41 floors and they raised it.  Eventually we will get another supertall.  They very expensive to build.         

• Like 1

Fair enough. 

I like tall buildings just fine, and I love the effect of a canyon of towers (especially during a hot Houston summer), but that works just fine with 40 story buildings. At the end of the day I'm much more concerned with the treatment of the first few floors because that's what I actually interact with.