The only way for the streetscape along Main in the photo above to improve substantially at this point will be the development of Block 45. Highest and best use is most likely a highrise luxury hotel with significant GFR. The development of that block will be one of the pivotal events of the next 5-10 years.

Beyond that, I wonder at what point the value of the land underneath the county's office building at Main & Preston will justify the cost of the offices relocating. The parcel must already be worth $15 million or so, considering that Hines paid $9 million for the land underneath Aris. If pedestrian life takes off with all these new developments, double that.

• Like 1

The last pic posted is probably THE ugliest view of downtown there is. Minus the Chase Tower, downtown looks like a middle America, mid-sized city that nobody remembers and time forgot about.

For the record, I'm referring to the view, not the quality of the image or anything related to the photographer.

Edited by wxman

7 minutes ago, wxman said:

The last pic posted is probably THE ugliest view of downtown there is. Minus the Chase Tower, downtown looks like a middle America, mid-sized city that nobody remembers and time forgot about.

For the record, I'm referring to the view, not the quality of the image or anything related to the photographer.

haha, it would look even worse had it not been for the Hardy Yards landscaping improvements in the foreground... 

Edited by DrLan34

3 hours ago, wxman said:

Pretty much Houston in a nutshell.

On 8/10/2016 at 3:00 PM, wxman said:

Well, to be as fair as I can be to my hometown, Houston is weird. You don't see many cities as economically powerful or as populous as Houston also be Alaska big (square mile-wise.) It is that big for many many complex reasons I only know a little about, so all I'll say is: it will for a long time, even as some areas grow dense, have empty fields which can be furrowed with the tears of amateur urban planners (like myself.)