307-Acres Near NRG Stadium (Formerly UT Research Campus Proposal)

2 hours ago, hbcu said:

actual neighborhoods with space between the homes - like the neighborhoods that are south or west of them. We have enough multifamily / townhome communities nearby. I meant 2500 square foot home at least. 

But we know its about cramming them in like sardines so that's a longshot

If there was a market to sell them, then they would be sold. It's about as simple as that. There's a reason why empty lots in some neighborhoods sell for completed townhomes.

Density is not a bad thing, especially with the potential for easy light rail expansion. 

Also, there are way more standalone traditional houses in this area than townhome neighborhoods. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, hbcu said:

actual neighborhoods with space between the homes - like the neighborhoods that are south or west of them. We have enough multifamily / townhome communities nearby. I meant 2500 square foot home at least. 

But we know its about cramming them in like sardines so that's a longshot

Plenty of townhomes are more than 2500 sf, but that's an arbitrary standard anyway. Would you say a 3br, 2 bath ranch on a 7000 sf lot isn't "real", just because it's *only* 1800 sf?

And how do useless side yards make a neighborhood "real"? Your personal preference may be a big house on a big, wasteful lot, but that doesn't mean that configuration is actually better than other (and equally traditional - rowhomes/townhomes are perfectly normal throughout history, across an infinite variety of cities, regions, nations, architectural styles) housing types.

If your argument is that home ownership gives a resident more "skin in the game" or whatever, well, that applies to any house, regardless of the size of the yard. 

• Like 6

On 5/12/2020 at 7:51 AM, Texasota said:

Plenty of townhomes are more than 2500 sf, but that's an arbitrary standard anyway. Would you say a 3br, 2 bath ranch on a 7000 sf lot isn't "real", just because it's *only* 1800 sf?

And how do useless side yards make a neighborhood "real"? Your personal preference may be a big house on a big, wasteful lot, but that doesn't mean that configuration is actually better than other (and equally traditional - rowhomes/townhomes are perfectly normal throughout history, across an infinite variety of cities, regions, nations, architectural styles) housing types.

If your argument is that home ownership gives a resident more "skin in the game" or whatever, well, that applies to any house, regardless of the size of the yard. 

you from Navasota with that name? If so, we can talk from a way different perspective.

I've lived in row home communities and townhomes in other regions. Nothing like raising a kid with a "yard" and having some semblance of community if taken care of. The problem in Houston we build these dense developments without kids in mind but it turns into kids living there in the long term and you have an issue. Haven't we learned from this across the city already

JTB Demolition is done at the site.  Any ideas on the next phase of cleanup? Apart of the RFP posted a while ago discusses the Pierce Junction oil field and cleanup. There has already been Texas Railroad Commission's Voluntary Cleanup Program for other tracts of land.  They found out the water contains too much barium, chromium, chloride, and lead.  Restrictions for ground water are in place.  UT believes all the regulatory cleanup should be completed by 2021.

lTVBomq.png

Looking on RCC's website and it shows "accepted".

rvQ2GFj.png

w4Kt5sh.jpg

pj1qWTa.jpg

• Like 5

• The title was changed to 215-Acres near NRG Stadium (formerly UT Research Campus Proposal)
On 5/16/2020 at 6:33 PM, Texasota said:

I grew up mostly in Missouri City, and I just fundamentally disagree with you. I find way more community in denser developments that I ever felt in a house with a big yard. 

Ironically I also grew up right by Missouri City and we loved the space and disliked dense development. Where I grew up there were NO apartments for at least a 5 mile radius or even larger. The only multifamily living were random duplexes that was in the area which were the eyesores as they were never maintained like the single family homes.

I lived on the East Coast also which has way more townhomes than we'll ever have in Houston. Its great if the complex is maintained, quiet and has amenities. BUT, if there are no amenities and its home to plenty of kids needing a place to play, it's a nightmare.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hbcu said:

Ironically I also grew up right by Missouri City and we loved the space and disliked dense development. Where I grew up there were NO apartments for at least a 5 mile radius or even larger. The only multifamily living were random duplexes that was in the area which were the eyesores as they were never maintained like the single family homes.

I lived on the East Coast also which has way more townhomes than we'll ever have in Houston. Its great if the complex is maintained, quiet and has amenities. BUT, if there are no amenities and its home to plenty of kids needing a place to play, it's a nightmare.

I grew up in missouri city too...

The determining factor to me is.. does the - apartment / townhome / single family / ranch / etc - owner take pride in their space? if you have a tiny home with a micro yard, but you're outside making sure all is right, then you are a part of community. If you're in an apartment and you couldn't care less how your balcony looks and dont bother with a welcome mat or pot, you're probably not contributing to community. The way development is designed can really contribute to this. See townhome development 3 on a lot v 2... huge difference in how people live.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Avossos said:

I grew up in missouri city too...

The determining factor to me is.. does the - apartment / townhome / single family / ranch / etc - owner take pride in their space? if you have a tiny home with a micro yard, but you're outside making sure all is right, then you are a part of community. If you're in an apartment and you couldn't care less how your balcony looks and dont bother with a welcome mat or pot, you're probably not contributing to community. The way development is designed can really contribute to this. See townhome development 3 on a lot v 2... huge difference in how people live.

where at in Missouri City if you don't mind? 

I rather space - that's what made Houston known as Houston. Now we have these east coast concepts coming into play by throwing folks on top of each other. I was at a DC complex recently and the "play area" was a 50-yard common artificial turf area where any and everyone was on. 

All I ask is that you recognize that your preferences are not necessarily everyone's.

I grew up around Houston - my family has been here since the 1860s. But when I think of Houston, I don't think of a big house on a big lot. I think of a bungalow or duplex in Montrose. Or a fourplex. Or a (shotgun) rowhouse. Or a 1960s apartment building. A foursquare on a 5000 sf lot with a garage apartment. A 1970s tin-clad townhouse. And yes, a brand new townhouse, apartment, or condo. Because *that's* Houston. Something for everybody. 

So you're welcome to your big house on a big lot. Just don't ask me to live in one.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, hbcu said:

where at in Missouri City if you don't mind? 

I rather space - that's what made Houston known as Houston. Now we have these east coast concepts coming into play by throwing folks on top of each other. I was at a DC complex recently and the "play area" was a 50-yard common artificial turf area where any and everyone was on. 

Quail Valley then Sienna Plantation

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 307-Acres near NRG Stadium (formerly UT Research Campus Proposal)

They are removing all of Terracon's groundwater testing barrels.  The barrels are scattered around the whole 307-acres. The pump was created by Gulf Coast Pump & Supply, Inc.  I called them and asked what the pumps were for.  The project manager said the barrels contained the groundwater samples.

LzfQaxm.jpg

TROlZG7.jpg

mWRragz.jpg

B8aLddo.jpg

U43757u.jpg

• Like 5

Discovered a hidden building in the woods. Probably not original oil camp residences. Maybe an office or storage shack? There was a broken fence around the building so it was definitely guarded. There was a concrete pit outside the building. Maybe an sludge pit or septic tank?

zyCbSVK.jpg

ETT0Xi2.jpg

C4aaIc2.jpg

ceginFZ.jpg

Y0foIfk.jpg

RlLb1nC.jpg

Believe it is one of these buildings, from a Google Earth view of 2001.

yLxyjTI.png

• Like 4

That actually looks like a horse barn with a concrete water trough or hay circle. The black material looks organic. like decaying leaves and such. I wouldn't be too surprised of the large wooden uprights at the front came from somewhere in the oil field.

That area didn't have much in the way of wells in the past(from http://gis.rrc.texas.gov/gisviewer/):

PJ.PNG.645e9ad15a61874ae67a4b880091954c.PNG

here's a wider view of the area 

PJ2.thumb.PNG.3a555e37285747eec4415ae01190db7c.PNG

• Like 5