307-Acres Near NRG Stadium (Formerly UT Research Campus Proposal)

Just now, shasta said:

You answered your own question University of Illinois AT Chicago...  There is a hierarchy within the system. The University of Houston (main Campus) is different...It is the FLAGSHIP campus in the University of Houston system. It will rise as high as it leaders want it to rise and has the location to rise. 

The University of  Texas may chose to hold back, say, the University of Texas- San Antonio, because they do NOT want it to overshadow their flagship campus, the University of Texas - Austin.  

Another example...the flagship University of Alabama may hold back the University of Alabama- Birmingham for the same reason. Actually, they did vote to dissolve their football program to concentrate efforts into their flagship 'Bama but had to retract after the backlash.

The only thing holding back the University of Houston was not allowing them access to the PUF but they have found a way around that. 

You are taking a narrow view of the word "system." The whole collection of Texas public universities loosely constitutes a system. The state has historically decided to give priority funding to UT (Austin), secondary funding to A&M (College Station), and tertiary funding to everyone else. Can you think of many instances where the historical flagship public university of a state was unseated in that role by another public school?

Looks like UT is keeping 80 acres to ground lease to someone and selling the other 220 acres. They also are apparently doing environmental remediation of the land, which is a nice benefit for Houston. Based on how much they paid to assemble it, I think they will suffer a huge loss on this when all is said and done.

https://www.costar.com/article/51236804/biggest-lot-of-its-kind-in-the-country-for-sale-near-major-medical-complex

• Like 2

Not surprised by this announcement. With the rise of TMC3, and the ability to collaborate with other schools and organizations, it makes this concept obsolete. TMC3 is also less of a risk than it would be to build an entire campus yourself. I think they will invest in their campus which will be at the southern tip of TMC3.

• Like 1

I'm proud of what UT has done for Texas, the medical center and the world. It's a great University. I get it.

My wife works for UT nursing and has enjoyed her employment. I think we all owe the UT system a debt of gratitude for what they've done with some of their PUF money in building an enormous medical program unequalled to most anywhere. If they want to build a research only facility on that property thats fine. 

But don't tell me that the way they went about acquiring the land, and making the proposal under the table wasn't against the rule. Then plans appear that sure look like a college campus complete with athletic fields. That wouldn't get UT or A& M upset if U of H had tried this in Austin or Bryan.

Heck A&M went berserk when we wanted to open a campus in the Woodlands.

I just hate the fact that so much money goes to two state systems and the other state schools have to beg for money from the legislature.

I'm happy that  UT, TAMU, and Rice are all world class and hope they continue to be. 

I just want the best for University of Houston, and I think this PUF program stinks and should be re allotted more fairly.

As far as University of Houston becoming great. Well I personally think we're pretty great right now.

Especially considering the disparity in funding. 

We just finished a billion dollar fund raising campaign that has been topped off by an anonymous donor with a 50 million dollar matching grant donation.

We're doing just fine over on Cullen blvd. and we'll compete with the big boys, but it sure would be nice to have some of that PUF.

So go ahead UT and A&M build those research centers and help the city grow. 

Just share with us the money.

And who else could hire Matthew McConaughey as a professor.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

You are taking a narrow view of the word "system." The whole collection of Texas public universities loosely constitutes a system. The state has historically decided to give priority funding to UT (Austin), secondary funding to A&M (College Station), and tertiary funding to everyone else. Can you think of many instances where the historical flagship public university of a state was unseated in that role by another public school?

This more or less the best way to describe the Texas public university "system".  The state truly funds one system and it is broken into several.  This fact only further shows the ridiculousness of establishing a UT Houston as "competition" for UH.  There is one wallet; that wallet has leather dividers that allocate much more cash to one section than the next but to pretend that the wallet competing with itself is capitalism or anything other than a waste of money and a chance for UT fans to have their logo in this city is a pretty hard sell.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

RFI for the 80 acres.

https://www.utsystem.edu/offices/real-estate/rfpsrfqsrfis/requests-information-rfis

RFI No.: 720-1930 Request for Information - Ground Lease and/or Joint Development of approximately 80 Acres of Land west of Buffalo Speedway and bisected by Willowbend Boulevard, Houston, Texas.

Response Due Date: Friday, September 27, 2019

Response Due Time: 5:00PM Central Daylight Saving Time

noVatrg.png

6KtouSN.png

WiidTlc.png

vsKHSsP.png

Jds0geI.png

ob3u5iP.png

qi3NQli.png

JCV8sir.png

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to 216 Acres near NRG Stadium (formerly UT Research Campus Proposal)
  • 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to 215 Acres near NRG Stadium (formerly UT Research Campus Proposal)

more multifamily or some actual housing on 2500 sq ft lots? I know that's a wish but no more multifamily or townhomes, doesn't promote long term. Once the multifamily gets old then we're back to the same old crap

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hbcu said:

more multifamily or some actual housing on 2500 sq ft lots? I know that's a wish but no more multifamily or townhomes, doesn't promote long term. Once the multifamily gets old then we're back to the same old crap

What type of "actual housing" were you anticipating on a 2500 sq ft lot that isn't a townhome?

Also, multifamily and townhomes are actual housing.

• Like 6

actual neighborhoods with space between the homes - like the neighborhoods that are south or west of them. We have enough multifamily / townhome communities nearby. I meant 2500 square foot home at least. 

But we know its about cramming them in like sardines so that's a longshot

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hbcu said:

actual neighborhoods with space between the homes - like the neighborhoods that are south or west of them. We have enough multifamily / townhome communities nearby. I meant 2500 square foot home at least. 

But we know its about cramming them in like sardines so that's a longshot

It's about developing the land to the highest return on investment. With the land being worth what it is, I doubt you could get any return with tract homes. Times have changed.

• Like 6