Bayou Place: Entertainment Development At 500 Texas St.

houstonsemipro

Especially trendy ones. If everyone is going there, you can pretty much bet it won't be around for long.

Well, the first year for club owners is crucial....The club industry knows that if they makes it through the first year, the chances of staying in business increases...I remember going to RocBar when it was kickin'...Only thing I didn't like was the "Miami/NewYork style" entrance "policy"....I just thought to myself...RocBar?...I would expect that kind of "policy" if it was Club 54.

• 2 years later...

Bayou Place is getting some new clubs and it certainly appears it will be in the spirit of the old City Streets...

http://blogs.chron.c..._tenants_a.html

On the second story of the downtown entertainment complex, Wednesday afternoon, workers were refashioning 18,000 square feet of space that will house
four different night clubs

They're also going for volume business, meaning they want to pack the house with low prices such as $2 happy hours,
$5 cover that gets guests into all the clubs
and no drinks priced higher than $7

The first of the clubs, slated to open in March, will have a
country western theme
and feature a mechanical riding bull. The club will be called PBR, as in professional bull riding.

The other clubs are a
cigar lounge
called Chapel Spirits targeting business people; Shark Bar that play
'80s and '90s music
; and Lucy's Liquors, that Maher described as "
laid back, relaxed and fun club.
" They plan to build an outdoor patio to wrap around the outside of the building and have an open bar outside at the top of the stairs that lead to the main club entryway.

It's about time someone brought back the good ole' hi-volume, low-cost meat market. There's a whole new generation of 20 something office types who may now get to experience the joy of $3 wells and hundreds of potential uh, love matches all under the same convenient roof.

ahhh....I can hear the extended club mix of Blue Monday like it was yesterday.

How long did BAR Houston last? Whats the typical life span of clubs here?

Unfortunately, I think this place is destined for failure. I agree that their plan is appealing to the fresh out of college 20 yr olds. I think this building design dictates that any club attempt has to - It's hard to imagine anything swank, uppity, pricey or classy there. However, know what else is appealing to young 20 yr olds, fresh out of college - free and abundant parking.

How long did City Streets last - a decade plus ?

It's about time someone brought back the good ole' hi-volume, low-cost meat market. There's a whole new generation of 20 something office types who may now get to experience the joy of $3 wells and hundreds of potential uh, love matches all under the same convenient roof.

Ugh. I dont miss those days at all. Too old.

How long did BAR Houston last? Whats the typical life span of clubs here?

Unfortunately, I think this place is destined for failure. I agree that their plan is appealing to the fresh out of college 20 yr olds. I think this building design dictates that any club attempt has to - It's hard to imagine anything swank, uppity, pricey or classy there. However, know what else is appealing to young 20 yr olds, fresh out of college - free and abundant parking.

How long did City Streets last - a decade plus ?

I think the avg lifespan is about 2-4 years.

'fresh out of college' is not the only target here. It will be a draw for downtown workers 20s and up who probably wouldn't go clubbing on Washington Ave, but love to get their extended happy hour on.

My wistfullness for happy hour buffets and 3 for 1s aside, this is mostly likely a fail because they will have a hard time filling up late night and weekends, unless they can find a way to piggyback on the culture crowd wo are already there for the theatres (unlikely). Plus it's on the 'wrong side' of DT relative to other club action. The parking is very convenient and (to me) relatively inexpensive, but the threatre district underground is a total mess on big show nights.

heh, I listened to that on pandora Sunday while preparing food for my SB party.

Are all of these places going in where roc bar was? I only went 2 or 3 times, but it didn't feel like it was 18000 sf.

I'll probably go to the 80s 90s place at least once, so they're doing something right, it takes a lot to get me into a club these days, when it isn't because someone else wants to go.

I'm the eternal nightlife optimist but.....

Opening all four of these clubs on Washington (the hot spot these days) would probably bat .250.

Opening all four of these clubs in downtown? Next to the theaters? I mean, it's just dumb business. How do these people get financing? They must have a year free rent or something.

City Streets was way tacky, but for some reason we kept going there for happy hour when I first moved here back in '01. It did have some redeeming qualities, like if you get too belligerent at the piano bar you can move over to the karaoke bar, then if it happens again you still have options without driving!

• Like 1

City Streets was way tacky, but for some reason we kept going there for happy hour when I first moved here back in '01. It did have some redeeming qualities, like if you get too belligerent at the piano bar you can move over to the karaoke bar, then if it happens again you still have options without driving!

Wow, it was still open then? I went there early on, and I left town in 95. Proof of concept, I guess.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have been to the Sundance at least five times now. It is easily the best theater in town. The seats are large and comfortable, with a separation between pairs of seats. Validated parking. Also, no screaming children. This theater is the way movies are meant to be seen. In fact, I'm going again this week.

I also frequently went to the Angelika for many years, but the upgrades Sundance made are significant.

• Like 3